Thinking About Joining A Club - Do's and Don'ts

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Reviving an old thread here, but am Looking into joining a club here soon, and want to know the Do's and Dont's.
Anything to add to this?

Moved to its own thread MS, so more responses can assist.

I think more importantly MS, is what are you looking to get out of joining a club?

I like the close proximity, the thought of practice facilities, access to a pro.
This is a golf only club, no tennis, or Pool etc.

I will be taking a tour in the coming days, and make a decision. Just want to make an informed one.

I not sure what you're looking for but I can tell you what I was looking for....mine is a family membership!

1. Reasonable fees
2. Course Condition and maintenance
3. Good Food
4. Pace of play
5. Good teaching Pro
6. Lots of events to participate in

Not everything but it's a start!!

Don't look at the cost per round. My problem is that the clubs in Ohio are pretty much closed from October to March, but you still have to pay for a membership during this time. I couldn't stand to pay $400 a month and not have any access to the golf course or driving range.

Also the clubs around here tend to close the driving range as soon as it gets a little wet. The driving range fee is an extra fee paid at the beginning of the year, so they don't want to have to pay help to dig for plugged balls or have to replace them when they plug and get lost.

Check to see how much extra it is for cart fees. Unless you are going to walk all the time, this tends to add up.

You have to be okay with playing at the same course all the time.

It is usually very expensive to bring guests to the club. Some clubs keep track of guests and only let them play a certain number of times a year.

Ask about the age demographics of the club. I had a buddy that was a member at a club here, but just about every other member were older couples. He had a hard time finding guys to hang out and play a round with.

I have never joined or belonged to a club. I can say the main thing I would like about it would be the practice facility, access to a pro and maybe a weekly game. Other than that not much else interests me. I like playing different courses and playing the same one all the time would get boring. PLUS you could end having the dreaded vanity handicap.

Just remember there may be "hidden fees". Our CC, at the end of the year, charged everyone an extra $150 in December to help pay the property taxes. They said it was voluntary, and if you wanted to not be charged you had 10 days between the invoice and the withdrawal to have it removed from your bill. You still had to go out of your way to get them to reverse the charge though, along with the "walk of shame" in the CC to have the fee pulled. I understand why they went the route to have people "opt out" rather than "opt in", and we paid it, but I guess I need to read the monthly newsletter a bit more closely!

Check out the thread started by rbarthle17. He had a big list of questions to ask. It covered a bunch of good stuff.

Hey buddy,

A lot of things to ask about/consider. A few suggestions

1. Assessments. How often do they occur? When was the last one, how much was it. Any of them in the works/will take place soon?
2. As mentioned above, other "hidden" costs. (driving range fees, tree assessments, etc) Yes unfortunately this exists.
3. If there is a dining room, are there food "minimums."
4. How easy is it to get tee times, especially at peak times like on weekend mornings.
5. Do they offer anything in the winter? Lessons? Access to a simulator/ launch monitor etc?

I belong to an amazing club in Southern Wisconsin and here are some things that really make it great.

Putting price aside...

1. Course conditions - If you're serious about joining a club, choose a place with a great grounds crew. If you're really there for the golf, this will make or break your experience.
2. People - A friendly atmosphere is a must. After a round it's nice to sit down and talk to those around you, even if you don't know them.
3. Head Pro - You could argue he/she set's the tone of the club. Most likely you can get discounted lessons from them so it's important that you agree with their swing methods and they are easy to talk to.
4. Practice Facilities - Some clubs don't have full ranges, which can be frustrating at times. Also, a club that want's to be considered as 'high end' will have a full short game practice area with a large putting green.

Those would be my top 4 if I was searching for a new club.

Just trust your instinct. Ask yourself: Would I enjoy this course if it was the only course I played for a whole year?

Also, ask for any deals that they have. Some clubs offer a discounted rate for the first year or two to real in new players.

Check out the thread started by rbarthle17. He had a big list of questions to ask. It covered a bunch of good stuff.

I got a lot of good information from the community from that one. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?72873-Why-did-you-choose-a-private-club

If I were to add one thing, it would be this (copied from that thread): "One major financial question that they did not have that I added was to inquire about the nature of the clubs loans. If it's a recourse loan the lender would have rights to go after the entire membership for the monies owed if the club defaults. While an unlikely scenario, you should know the risks you are taking on. A non-recourse loan protects the membership."

Highland Meadows was non-recourse, and that gave me a lot of peace of mind.

I like the close proximity, the thought of practice facilities, access to a pro.
This is a golf only club, no tennis, or Pool etc.

I will be taking a tour in the coming days, and make a decision. Just want to make an informed one.

Do you know any current members? With your personality I'm sure you would meet people/make friends quickly. But it can definitely help to have some friends that are already members, especially at first. They can teach you the ropes, maybe would answer some questions differently than "the club" will.

Over my professional life, I have been a member of some private clubs and, often, I have been a guest at private clubs. One aspect that I have noticed, is that private clubs can have a personality of sorts. Yes there are the typical price, location and condition concerns, but it is also important that the club's personality and your personality fit. I have been a guest at several clubs that were very nice and well maintained, but I just knew that I really didn't belong there. My pickup truck just didn't seem comfortable in the parking lot.

Good information already stated. Some additional things to consider:

When looking at cost, be sure to know what you're actually paying. This needs to include all the hidden golf fees, any assessments, capital fund, etc.

Be honest about what you'll actually be using at the club, not what you want to use. Like swimming, tennis, practice facility, etc and decide which club fits best.

Obtain a good understanding of the current health of the club.

Understand the current demographic of the club and how you would fit in.

I love the club I belong too. For me it was a no brainer. But what I always say to anyone thinking about joining a club is do not try to figure out you "cost per round" if thats what a person is concerned with they should not join a country club. Very seldom will you actually save money on your cost per round.

Back