What makes you change/buy new clubs?

ChetSteadman

Reaction score
Handicap
What is everyone's motivation for buying new clubs? Is it the pursuit of more distance, more control over the ball, better feel, just straight up club hoe-ing, etc? A mix of these?

For me, I'm primarily motivated my two things in woods: 1) distance-if I can get 7+ legitimate yards from a driver or 3 wood, then I'll really consider buying. 2) just wanting something new. Sometimes I just have money burning a hole in my pocket and I want it.

With irons, it's totally different. Once I find something I'm comfortable with, I generally hang onto it. I played the same Ping Eye 2+s for years, happily. I traded them this year after really getting back into the game but wasn't totally happy with my Apex Pros. I don't know what it was, just didn't like them. I hit them ok, but I think there are better options out there (for me). So I bought a set of Mizunos. If those are what I think they will be, I'll own them for a while. I'm looking for the right look and control over the ball.

Wedges: every year or so, when they start wearing out. I almost treat them as commodities.

Putter: if I get comfortable with something, it takes a bunch of misses for me to look elsewhere.

THP, reviews! !!
For me it is a tighter dispersion. And my scores are starting to get better.

That, and shiny new things are fun to play with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

With drivers, it's consistent distance.

With irons, it is all feel. I don't know how to describe it, but I have to feel good about it in my hands. Distance is great, but if it is harsh, things go bad for me.

JM

When I've worn them out!

I don't buy because it's new and shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like new and shiny. I'm always looking for the holy grail in drivers but one doesn't go in the bag and stay unless it's better in dispersion, distance ball flight.

with irons the new shiny and feel

I like new and shiny with putters and drivers although only about 1 in 4 makes it into my bag for more than 5 rounds. I usually buy 3-4 putters and drivers every year. Wedges are the same. Iron sets I only buy a new set once every 8-10 years.

Most of the time, I just want something new.

Pure impulse

Sometimes it's the new technology but most of the time it's just new shiny toys!

I hit new iron offerings all the time, and eventually I hit a set that makes me buy them. Usually every 5 years or so.

Days like today when Golfsmith starts a 50% trade in bonus. :p

If I hit that one great shot with it out of Kangs bag then I usually end up going out and buying one.

What makes you change/buy new clubs?

Days like today when Golfsmith starts a 50% trade in bonus. :p

I hope the golfsmiths up here have this. Where did you see it advertised?

I would be all over it this weekend. Trade in bonuses are dangerous for me.

I hope the golfsmiths up here have this. Where did you see it advertised?

I would be all over it this weekend. Trade in bonuses are dangerous for me.

I swung by after work and they were putting up the signs on the wall of irons. Its going to be hard to keep the Apex Irons out of my mind this week.

I swung by after work and they were putting up the signs on the wall of irons. Its going to be hard to keep the Apex Irons out of my mind this week.

Oh nice. I looked everywhere online and couldn't find it. Tax refund comes tommorow so I could be making a trip.

When I get the urge, to spend money on upgrading my game.

Also the great staff writer reviews and forum testing are definitely not deterrents for me.

The #1 reason I buy new clubs is... because it makes my happy.

Before THP I never really bought or changed clubs. And if I did it was because I got a deal on a used set of clubs. Once I found THP I couldn't keep a set in my bag for a full season. Now because of THP I have a set of clubs (all 14) that I will game until they break

Impulse is what usually makes me switch, and I try to make the move after I've read up on the club(s) here.

Driver: Whatever gives me the most distance and forgiveness. The flavor of the week is the Cobra King LTD that I'll have next week.

Fairway woods: When I find something that works for me, I stick with it.

Irons: I typically keep irons the longest. I had JPX-825 Pros for a few years, then switched to the JPX-850 Forged and then swapped those for Apex CF 16s. The CF 16s will be in my bag for quite awhile.

Wedges: I went from SCOR, to Vokey SM5s, to MD3s and I have two J15 Forged on the way.

Putters: I've been having trouble finding one I like, but I think the White Hot RX V-Line Fang that gets here tomorrow will solve that!

Performance, theft, budget.

I've had mine for a few years now. I would only look to change when my handicap meant I wanted to do more with the ball flight. At the moment I'm more interested in consistent flights and distances. I'd say somewhere around that 12 to 14 mark I'd start thinking of looking at a different iron that I could work a it more.

Usually, I just want something shiny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wear

Back