PING G Irons - THP Review

Beautiful pics as always Jman

In for info. Yeah, great pics.

Have mine on order, 5-UW in AWT R

I actually don't hate them visually. Would have to see them in hand though

Unless some kind of Ping magic is invoked on my behalf, i won't get the new sticks until next week. Was really looking forward to putting these in play in Alabama... Naturally, come Monday i won't need golf clubs for another 6 weeks or so...

James,

Hitting these outside, do you feel that they retain some of the more "solid" sound/feel that PING was able to attain with the GI lines in the past? They moved to a more bright/hollow sound with the GMax, and while I didn't notice it with these at the CPC when I was fit, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Sorry I just now saw this, been a crappy few days.

I did get out with these for a good bit of "take my mind off the world" time the last couple days and will have full thoughts coming soon, but to your question...

They feel like a G iron dude, you're safe, no Gmax here. Theyre what I would call plush at impact, by only knock is that they feel pretty much the same on all shots, high, low, heel, or toe. Now given the profile, thats expected imo, its just something I personally am not the biggest fan of.

I did get out with these for a good bit of "take my mind off the world" time the last couple days and will have full thoughts coming soon, but to your question...

They feel like a G iron dude, you're safe, no Gmax here. Theyre what I would call plush at impact, by only knock is that they feel pretty much the same on all shots, high, low, heel, or toe. Now given the profile, thats expected imo, its just something I personally am not the biggest fan of.

I could actually discern when I hit it off the toe. Center contact definitely has a different plush feel. I should know, I don't flush it often...

I could actually discern when I hit it off the toe. Center contact definitely has a different plush feel. I should know, I don't flush it often...
Oh, I agree that you can slightly, but not comparative to most of what I have hit or tested over the years here. But this, imo, is definitely what I would call a "blurred" iron in terms fo feedback. This is what happens when you get into sgi irons, so it's really not a big deal.

Never been a huge fan of PING irons as they always seem to look similar year after year,....great photos though!

Tried these about a week ago at Carl's and really liked what I was seeing, as far as ball flight, just hated that you can see the cavity on the 4 & 5 irons.

Tried these about a week ago at Carl's and really liked what I was seeing, as far as ball flight, just hated that you can see the cavity on the 4 & 5 irons.

Yeah, I tend to be that way too, but I will say this, the 4i has been freakishly good for me from the deck and from the tee. SUPER impressed with the distance and ball flight.

No worries at all, my friend - more important things, and I'm not going anywhere. That's good to hear, and what I thought based on my experience, but good to hear someone share my opinion. I know the GMax was quite a departure, and it was one of the things Hawk really noticed.

Spent some more time with these today at the shop, since the whole set is now in. They're yellow dot, which is something like 2.25 up from what I usually play, but got a much better feel for the set overall. I've got the i25s in the bag most of the time these days - I won't lie, I prefer that profile better, though I'm not bothered by these a bit. But it's pretty hard to argue with performance with these, especially in the long iron. I didn't have any issues hitting the 4i, and that's not a club I usually bag. Thinking that club would be FUN off the tee. I agree with you on the feel - big misses you can feel (though you're not punished nearly as much as you should be for), but miss a little and the feel is far more similar to a center strike than the i series is.

There's something about PING irons that just clicks for me, so I'm not surprised these came out on top in my fitting. I like the small visual tweaks - I think they add up to a much more visually pleasing iron than previous G series.

So I have 3 range sessions and about 54 holes in on these, its update time.

• They did a hell of a good job camouflaging these this go around. The beveler topline and adjusted offset setup is seriously a wonder worker with the eyes. I have had 4 people so far shocked that they were G irons when they went from address to in hand seeing the sole...and all 4 were G-series iron players (2 sets of G25, one GMAX, and one G5).
  • They are DEFINITELY G irons though, and not a "hybrid blend" like some have thought or believed (*raises hand*) as the sole width is all there and they are definitely extremely heel/toe weighted for max launch and retention.
  • They launch. HIGH. Paired with the AWT 2.0's I was seeing peak heights of right around 40 yards so far in the scoring irons, that is HIGH for me. Spin though according to the LM is surprisingly low given that height and as such distances have been good. Not the longest irons I have hit (GI or SGI) but again, personal fit with the launch could have a lot to do here so I'm going to have a lot more people hit them very soon.
  • They're uber forgiving, low and off the toe its borderline silly. I have been living toe side the last session or two given some swing work I am doing and they just don't want to draw like I see out of most irons out there, additionally the distance difference is only marginal from center strikes. This isn't at all a surprise to me though as this is what G irons are SUPPOSED to do.
  • If you have hit the GMAX and worry about the sound/feel with the EYE-COR being implemented from those into these, don't. Honestly probably the most "plush" sounding G series irons I think I have ever hit. The EYE and the CTP do a hell of a job at dampening and disseminating the sound/feel on impact. That said, they aren't going to give the brightest/most-noticeable feedback on misses. Sure, there is some sound/vibrational differentiation on extreme misses, but they are 100% what I would call a very "muted" iron when it comes to lateral and vertical misses.
  • They're a dang good route for the G series IMO. Much like the I they have taken what works in previous iterations but also implemented a good bit of new tech to make them more or a revolution/evolution blend. Those who are G fans, will undoubtedly like them. Those who haven't liked the way past G irons set up might want to take a look at them now, as the little tricks of the trade from address they have plugged into this design work well.
As always, I'm here for you. If you have ANY q's please don't hesitate to ask.

for whatever reason the PING irons just dont move the needle for me. I think im like that with all of their equipment honestly. It may be unfair to say because i havent used a PING club since the G5 but then again theyve yet to release something that makes me want to game it

So I have 3 range sessions and about 54 holes in on these, its update time.

• They did a hell of a good job camouflaging these this go around. The beveler topline and adjusted offset setup is seriously a wonder worker with the eyes. I have had 4 people so far shocked that they were G irons when they went from address to in hand seeing the sole...and all 4 were G-series iron players (2 sets of G25, one GMAX, and one G5).
  • They are DEFINITELY G irons though, and not a "hybrid blend" like some have thought or believed (*raises hand*) as the sole width is all there and they are definitely extremely heel/toe weighted for max launch and retention.
  • They launch. HIGH. Paired with the AWT 2.0's I was seeing peak heights of right around 40 yards so far in the scoring irons, that is HIGH for me. Spin though according to the LM is surprisingly low given that height and as such distances have been good. Not the longest irons I have hit (GI or SGI) but again, personal fit with the launch could have a lot to do here so I'm going to have a lot more people hit them very soon.
  • They're uber forgiving, low and off the toe its borderline silly. I have been living toe side the last session or two given some swing work I am doing and they just don't want to draw like I see out of most irons out there, additionally the distance difference is only marginal from center strikes. This isn't at all a surprise to me though as this is what G irons are SUPPOSED to do.
  • If you have hit the GMAX and worry about the sound/feel with the EYE-COR being implemented from those into these, don't. Honestly probably the most "plush" sounding G series irons I think I have ever hit. The EYE and the CTP do a hell of a job at dampening and disseminating the sound/feel on impact. That said, they aren't going to give the brightest/most-noticeable feedback on misses. Sure, there is some sound/vibrational differentiation on extreme misses, but they are 100% what I would call a very "muted" iron when it comes to lateral and vertical misses.
  • They're a dang good route for the G series IMO. Much like the I they have taken what works in previous iterations but also implemented a good bit of new tech to make them more or a revolution/evolution blend. Those who are G fans, will undoubtedly like them. Those who haven't liked the way past G irons set up might want to take a look at them now, as the little tricks of the trade from address they have plugged into this design work well.
As always, I'm here for you. If you have ANY q's please don't hesitate to ask.

Having 6 rounds under my belt with these, I couldn't agree more with your findings. My experience with the G exactly mirror yours. As a golfer that is always looking for distance and forgiveness in a more compact presentation, I could not get along with the G30's. I even find that the G's give me more distance that the G30. Super happy with these!

for whatever reason the PING irons just dont move the needle for me. I think im like that with all of their equipment honestly. It may be unfair to say because i havent used a PING club since the G5 but then again theyve yet to release something that makes me want to game it

I highly recommend you try the fairways/hybrids sometime. You'd be surprised.

They've come a LONG way from the G5 line. Hahaha

I highly recommend you try the fairways/hybrids sometime. You'd be surprised.

They've come a LONG way from the G5 line. Hahaha
I did try the G30 hybrid for a little bit and thats the club that made me hate hybrids haha im odd i know. And that steel shafted G5 5 wood stayed in my bag all the way up to my trip to Cali lol

I've got a set of these coming my way. I went back and forth on ordering, but based on James's feedback on the long iron performance I went and hit these through the set a few more times. I brought all my swings on different day - from the "A+ swing" when I couldn't miss, and the swing that looks like I just started playing golf. Compared to the i25s I have had in the bag more often than not, the difference on the bad swings was night and day - especially when I got around the 5/6 irons. I went with the Nippon Modus3 105 shafts over the AWTs because they gave me a bit stronger ball flight. Still high of course, just not as high. For now, I went with 5-U, but I could honestly see putting the 4 in the bag. It was that easy to hit.

They are definitely G series through and through, they just look a whole lot better by the ball then the last few iterations.

I seem to be the complete opposite of PhillyV. For some reason, I just "click" w. PING irons.

I think @GirardCorp should have a review after he played these this past weekend at the #KickoffClassic. I think he's in love.....

Jman how is overall forgiveness vs Gmax? I'm currently playing G15 and due to tendonitis issues thinking of Gmax with graphite shafts.

Jman how is overall forgiveness vs Gmax? I'm currently playing G15 and due to tendonitis issues thinking of Gmax with graphite shafts.

Since there is a little less perimeter weighting based on the size profile as well as the sole width and undercut in the cavity, the GMAX are definitely going to be the most forgiving offering in the current PING line (comparing I, G, and GMAX). More launch, more lateral playability, etc.

Thanks!

I got a chance to play my Ping G irons over the weekend at the THPKickoff Classic. I have to say this is a great set of irons that are very forgiving, but also offer a fair amount of workability. Prior to Friday, all i had swung was the 6 iron demo, so getting out on the First tee i was a bit nervous what i would see in my set of irons. Once i got a few swing bugs worked out, these irons were absolutely lethal. Numbers were a bit longer than what i had been used too, having previously gamed Nike Vapor Pro Combo. I need to take a little less club then before to achieve the same distance. Feel on a well struck ball was incredible and it just took off like a rocket for me. I can't wait for the last remaining snow to melt off so i can get out and spend some range time dialing these in. I have a good feeling these won't be sold off at the end of the season like my last set of irons.

Gday Jman- what is longer and more forgiving, the Cobra f6 or ping g?

Man, that one is tough! I don't have complete ball speed recordings on the G's yet. But early indications for me, forgiveness wise heel/toe I think the G's will sit a bit "easier" based on size profile alone and what they can do with that weight out on the perimeter. Distance, its been the F6 by a good margin for me (3/4 club linger probably).

Back