Pace of competitive golf

For those who play competitive golf I am curious to ask.
Firstly forgive my ignorance with competitive golf but I assume (correct if wrong) there are different levels of competitive golf. Perhaps weakly fun and friendly leagues vs perhaps working up to things like state or regional amateur championships etc and anything in between or even further beyond.

With that said (if correct) then I would ask. Does pace of the rounds move slower as the significance of the competition itself increases? Basically as there is more to win or lose, or more importance to the round does it affect how long it takes everyone to play and take shots and line up putts etc etc.
Does it take a lot longer than 4hrs as the significance goes up and if it does is it all of a sudden "ok" for it to do so? Again I am ignorant to whats normal practice in such situations. But I ask because I want to know do we then become righteous about it? do you have the right to complain about the masses taking too long in casual golf or the pros taking too long on tour but then when its you playing in competition of great significance to you it all of a sudden becomes "ok"? is it any more justified?.

I play in a public course tournament men's club (not a league). We used to have issues with pace, to the point where the course said we had to do something about it. We devised our own pace of play policy with penalties attached, and our policy is more strict than the pace of play policy the the course has instituted for the public. Each year we have 3 or 4 groups that draw penalties, usually early in the season, then it settles down to keeping pace and the course now loves us. We usually keep a better pace than the weekend public.

I went to watch some web.com q school qualifying at my home course this past fall. They were so slow it was excruciating...

Back