Graphite shafts in irons

gregh729

Reaction score
Handicap
I am thinking of going to graphite shafts in my irons. I am 55 yrs old with wrist (back, knee, ankle) problems from 50 years of sports. Current irons are Callaway XR, KBS Tour V 110g shafts. I know nothing about graphite iron shafts so I have 2 questions:

1) Does graphite really help with johnt issues?
2) What shafts should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Greg

I hit a lot of balls and they have been easier on my joints than steel.

Go get a fitting as most graphite shafts get expensive quick and could be a costly mistake. I like the recoil or steelfibers both can be had in the weight range your currently playing.

I switched to graphite and had nagging elbow and wrist pain that has all but disappeared despite the fact that I play more golf/hit more balls since the switch.

There are a lot of good options now a days, but none are real cheap. I love my recoils but there is a lot of love for Matrix Programs and Steelfibers. Haven't heard much about the Aldilas but I know there are other options around. Some of the club builders on here might know of some cheaper options for you to test out if you can't get to a fitter.

I switched to graphite last year. For reference, I played do x100, kbs tour 130x, and kbs tour v 120x before that. I started experiencing left wrist pain and went to graphite hoping it would help, and indeed it does. First tried recoil, them steelfiber, and now I game matrix program f15. Now I can't see gaming any other shaft other than the program f15

Graphite in irons will absolutely play easier on your joints and a good set of graphite like the Recoils will play just fine for even the hardest hitters. I know it's getting harder and harder to find but if you can find a range that allows you to hit off grass then go for it. Soooo much nicer than hitting off a rubber mat sitting on concrete. Plus it'll be easier on the clubs as well.

Good luck.

I went from mizuno 850 pro steel shaft to Callaway apex with recoils and no more wrist, shoulder and elbow pain, not to mention picking up an extra club distance with an easier swing. I am 72 with back surgery history.

Definitely some form of graphite shaft will help with your joint pain. I'm 65 and had steel project x shafts in my irons until about 3 years ago. Switched to Aerotech steelfibers and it's the best thing I've done for my golf game. They come in different weights and you can find one that will work for you. Was getting hand and elbow pain from the steel shafts and that has completely disappeared. Test out whatever you can to find the right shaft for you. You won't regret it.

All I can say is that I virtually couldn't play with my regular steel shafts due to lower arm and elbow pain. With graphite in my speed blades I get no pain at all. That said, there may be much more forgiving steel options which I haven't tried. Good luck.

I concur with the others. My prior set had Steelfibers and my current set, Callaway Apex, have recoils. I switched after having shoulder surgery and it was much easier on the joints.

Another elbow pain sufferer here from steel shafts. It was compounded by bowling and golf towards the end of the golf season on the same days.

Switched to XCaliber shafts on one set for a trial and now switching my other sets to the same shafts. Took a little bit to adjust to the lighter weight, but now no pain and just as accurate as any steel shaft I've used. The XCaliber shaft has a very low balance point which gives a good swing weight with a price that's very affordable for graphite and I would highly recommend you checking them out for your situation.

The Recoils and Steelfibers are great shafts, but will add a lot of expense vs the XCaliber with little or no gain in performance, IMO.

Switched to graphite ages ago and my elbow issues went away.
Went back to steel (Nippons) and no issue.
Now switching back to graphite due to lighter weight, distance and aging issues.

As far as which shafts, trials will confirm yes or no.

The leaders have probably all been mentioned above especially if reshafting.

If buying new, stock shafts can fit.

I did it to alleviate wrist issues and not only did it fix that my back even feels 100x better after the round.

When I was fitted my fitter put me in the same shaft wedges through hybrid. I haven't played steel shafts in year, composite shafts are supposed to lessen the impact to the body. I do notive that when I hit a fat shot I don't seem to feel it as much as my buddies who play steel.

As to what kind of shaft, I really recommend you go to a fitter and let him recommend what is best for you.

Yes, graphite shafts does help with joint issues, but, it is not a cure all.

As for shafts, it is best to go get fitted, most stock sets with graphite tend to have lightweight (sub 60 grm) shafts, with the assumption, you are switching to graphite for lighter and, higher launching shafts. You can either have your current set re-shafted (check with your local golf shop, or, your local head pro for options and prices), or, you can go with a new set. If you go with a new set, check the custom options of whatever OEM, you are interested in. Some OEM's have heavier graphite options with no upcharge.

I am thinking of going to graphite shafts in my irons. I am 55 yrs old with wrist (back, knee, ankle) problems from 50 years of sports. Current irons are Callaway XR, KBS Tour V 110g shafts. I know nothing about graphite iron shafts so I have 2 questions:

Greg

1) Yes, At 60 yrs old, I went to graphite 9 years ago, and joint issues have left - I do stretch before play or range, but I did have elbow and shoulder soreness beforehand. Not any longer. If your issues do not dissipate after graphite in irons, you might consider heavier graphite in wedges. The heavier graphite has less torque - so no worries about dispersion. I think my favorite heavy graphite wedge shafts were Steelfiber 125.

2) Which graphite? I played the Aerotech Steelfiber i80 since 2007, and then went to Recoil 95 (not the prototype) over a year ago. I think the i80 are the most popular Aerotechs, but others like Matt Kuchar or Snedeker use the i95. They play firm to flex so be aware. They get the ball up. I prefer the Recoil Shafts -- the Recoil 95, for me, has better feel than the i80 Aerotechs, and some say have a more steel-like flight. The feel to me was the difference. I am also between flexes - regular and stiff, and the Recoil 95 have sufficient weight for me to use 03 (regular) flex. In lighter weights of Recoils, I use 04 flex (stiff) in hybrids.

If you hit balls before changing to graphite, avoid hitting off mats at the range, unless they are the uberexpensive mats that "give".

Good luck.

Thanks,
Greg

One word = "recoil"

I know my next new set of irons will be graphite shafted. At 54, I have enough pains that makes me think it is time. Lots of great options these days.

Thanks all. I am not stuck on keeping my current irons, so getting something new and shiny with graphite is not a big deal :wink:. I'll start looking and head to Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith to try. I don't hit off of mats with my wrist, but may have to when testing. I love the look of the Apex and I know CAA_Beat just got a set. I'll have to hook up with him to try his out.

Going to get 545 irons
Hitting the Nippon 980 pro steel well but could do with more height and length if not sacrificing accuracy so may look at Miyazaki blue graphite

I just switched on Friday. Picked up some AP1s with 95gram recoil f4s. Friday-Sunday I hit 500 balls. 400 irons. I'm 31 and have shoulder/elbow pain. I woke up this morning and I feel great. No pain that I was getting with the kbs tours.

Many fine graphite shaft recommendations here, but the only way you'll get into the right shaft for you, is for you to go to an experienced fitter. People here are recommending shafts that are working for them, but go find out what will work for you. And tell the fitter about your aches and pains.

I just switched on Friday. Picked up some AP1s with 95gram recoil f4s. Friday-Sunday I hit 500 balls. 400 irons. I'm 31 and have shoulder/elbow pain. I woke up this morning and I feel great. No pain that I was getting with the kbs tours.

I have a set of Recoil Prototype 125 F5's coming for my AP2's. Have DG X100's and my wrists and elbows need relief.

I also switched from Tour V 110.
Look into the AXE Tour X shafts. I have a full set in my irons this season. Currently running a progressive set from 85g in the lower irons to 105g in the PW/AW contemplating on putting in the wedge flex 125g in the 54/57

Check this thread(http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?78076-AXE-Tour-X-Graphite-shaft-study ) as others have great success as well. At $30 a shaft, you can't go wrong with the quality it delivers.

So I went today to test some graphite shafts. I can't remember what I tried, I know there was a recoil shaft in there somewhere. Gotta say, I didn't get on with any of them. None of them had the feel the steel shaft gave me. Ended up being fitted for a set of Apex CF 16's with the XP95 steel shaft which is considerably lighter than the dynamic gold I have now, so I'm hoping that'll do the trick.

I currently have Recoils....but has.....

Anyone tried the Fujikura MCI shafts in their irons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back