What's your weather limit?

40’s if it’s sunny and not very windy. In general I don’t care to play in high wind, but will play in light rain.

No limit. Tomorrow’s forecast is for mid 20s F, if the course is open I’m playing.

I'm right there with you, tomorrow is 30s with wind chill in the low 20s and I'll be out there as soon as any frost clears.

You guys playing in the 20's are die hards. How do you keep your hands warm? I can't stand it when I thin an iron shot when my hands are that cold.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We'll play in the 30's... But it depends on sun and wind. Those are really the big deciding factors in all cold weather rounds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. But I'd play in the low 30's if the golf course would let me. It doesn't snow where I'm at but we do get some morning frost at times. They won't let us play until it thaws. Usually when the temp gets 38 or more. I golfed in rain about a month ago. Got soaking wet but it didn't stop us. I have an umbrella with my push cart. I will say that was the worse I felt after 18 holes. I guess the wet conditions really affected my joints and muscles.

We have a tee time tomorrow at 12:30. I picked that time because the accuweather report said rain is reducing to 20 percent by noon and just cloudy the rest of the day. After I reserved that time I saw another report on weather.com that said the opposite. It says less rain the morning and 80 percent in the afternoon. I guess we'll just have to go out there and see what its like. A little rain won't stop us. A lot of rain will.

I'm a fair weather player. If it looks like rain, there is a high chance I am not playing. I'll play when it's cold as long as there isn't a chance of rain. Don't have temperature cutoffs.

In northern New Hampshire, we go from summery to wintry conditions so quickly that it might be 70 degrees Oct 15th and then snowed in course closed by Nov 6th. So that leaves only a couples weeks where if its really raining nasty and cold with course open, I wouldn't play golf. And the serious rainstorms we get in season, there is no point. But beyond that, steady rain and breeze within reason, adds to life and the experience.

I concur with most of your common sense limits... golf isn't real fun @ 35 degrees and sleeting.

Growing up in NJ, we’d play any chance we’d get. I remember back in high school, (for county or state I forget the tournament) all of us were pulled from a day of school to play. It was pouring but they still held the tournament. I even remember playing with my dad during a light dusting of snow.

Now living in Northern California, I think pouring rain will definitely keep me indoors. Fairways and greens get completely saturated here and doesn’t seem to drain well.

Cabot Links it was sub 0C (20's in F), blowing 50 with gust upwards of 80, and off and on snow. Still played, just a lot of layers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Before moving to GA I would play if it were in the 50s. Now I have to if I want to play.

Until today i would have said as long as its not forecast to rain for the full duration of the round I will play in all weathers - Hot/Cold/Ice/Wind etc. However today we have had sustained >55mph winds and we played 9 holes before calling it a day......

If the course is open, I’ll play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Florida, so heat doesn't bother me. We had to play in the 90's all summer long. Now that I am in North Carolina, I have adapted to the cold, just add more thermal clothes. If they have the course open, I'll play. Since they close it if it is below freezing for 24 hours or more to protect the greens, or covered with snow, It's not an issue. It was fun to play on a frozen fairway, hit a drive 200 yds and watch it bounce on for 60-80 more yds.

If the course is open, I’ll play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I work, hunt, & camp in all conditions so why wouldn't I play golf.

I don’t play in the rain, UNLESS I was on a golf trip somewhere like Kiawah and it was my day to play the Ocean Course...

I don’t play when it’s less than 50*. I tore-up my back pretty good one day swinging in the cold, and my Dr said never do that again... So I don’t.

It can be as hot as whatever and I’ll play, though. Heat index down here in the summer is always over 100*, so it’s what comes with the territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.facebook.com/2591081877...4//URL] Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I guess since I played last year at 25 degrees that would be the cutoff. Teed off at 25 and finished at 33. It was my first round at the new club I joined. I just stopped to meet the pro and he told me a few guys were going out for a skins game. I got introduced and they asked if I wanted to join them. I said sure and we played as a 6some. No big shock that we had the course to ourselves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Teed off last year at 29, but no wind. If there’s a lot of wind I’d probably say high 30’s.

The older I get, the less cold-tolerant I am getting. Also don’t like wearing too many layers of clothing. (My swing is restricted enough that I don’t need all the extra fabric getting in the way.) 40’s is okay as long as there is sunshine and the wind isn’t blowing too hard. In the past low key 30’s with sideways blowing sleet was doable, but no more.

Helps, too, that my course has acquired two HD Golf simulators, and indoor play is now available year-round. And now that I think about it, I might just take the Midwest summer heat and humidity out of play as well. :sweat:

I've played in the teens last year and low 20s this year and walked both times. The problem both times were frozen greens where a good shot would rocket off the green as if it was concrete. It made for crappy rounds of golf so my rule is that the weather needs to be above freezing and greens need to be receptive enough to retain well stuck balls.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've never encountered conditions that would keep me off the course, provided that golf courses are open. Obviously poor conditions are less fun than good conditions, but I've always said that if I can work in the wind/rain/cold I sure as hell can do my favorite activity in it.

This sums up my thoughts exactly.

Cold temps, wind, rain. I’ll play in any two of those three. Add in the third and i’m out like river trout.

If they'll let people out on the course, I'll give it a go for the most part. We have a short season, so if you're too picky, you don't play much.

Pretty much anything short of lightning. I can deal with the cold, or wind but the rain just sucks, even if it’s 75 degrees out.

Back