What's your weather limit?

It used to be no limit. I'm now in the 40 degree club.

I found my limit yesterday. Not so much temperature, but wind. I headed out with 25mph steady and gusts to 40mph. That's ridiculous. I hit a 69y 9i that I struck perfectly. I think I watched it come backwards toward me after it hit its apex. Just stupid. I nearly got blown over on at least one shot. The highlight of the day? I hit a 4h into a R-->L wind on a ~170y par 3. Started it about 25 yards of the flag and it wound up about 15' left of the flag and pin high. Just crazy. It's a good thing I pushed that one just a bit or it would have blown off the green.

From now on, I'm looking at the wind. Not only as a factor in the temps, but if it's gonna be steady over 20mph, then I'll think long and hard about it. I should have waited for today. It's 67° out and the wind is nearly non-existent.

As long as the course is open I will play. Although I have played a course after it closed due to a monsoon...that was a lot of fun for the 3 holes we got in.

I've always golfed with the motto that 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Wind, rain, cold... I can deal with any combination of 2, but if all 3 are present, it's a good day to drink beer and play some cards!

Having spent a decade in Marine Infantry, my definition of bad weather probably differs from most. My buddy was visiting this weekend and we had 4 full rounds scheduled but the weather was terrible. Low 40's/Upper 30's and pretty much constant mist, drizzle, or rain. My friend and our other playing partner wanted to quit but I think they knew how badly I wanted to at least get a full round in. We ended up getting most of a round in on Saturday and we did gut it out and play a full 18 Sunday. Spent the rest of the weekend sipping bourbon and playing indoors on the Optishot :)

For me, the issue isn't so much the wet and the cold, but the fact that once our grips got substantially wet, there was just no way to really hold only the clubs solidly and take full swings and once that happened the golf got progressively uglier.

My rule of thumb is age in degrees Fahrenheit. That way as time goes on it will just get better and better. It may also force a move south! ��

Playing range is mid-50s to mid-90s. Rain and wind just suck when its cold.

My rule of thumb is age in degrees Fahrenheit. That way as time goes on it will just get better and better. It may also force a move south! ��

I like that rule! I’m 53 and still in Minnesota for the winters but only another 4 years until our youngest is off to college and we will be in Naples Florida for 6.5 months each winter. Last year they had 19 days with highs below 70 degrees so we should be good!

I confirmed my limit this morning. Last night's forecast showed it was gonna be 45° at 0900 and drop to around 37° by noon. I figured it was worth a try since the winds were forecasted around 10-12 mph. Woke up this morning, loaded up, jumped in the truck and the thermometer in the truck just said "ICE". Uh oh. Temp was already showing 37°. I was already loaded up so I figured... how bad can it get. By the end of the round, the temperature was 27°, I could barely feel my right hand, and the left wasn't much better. From this point, forward, I will seriously consider whether I want to go out if it's below 40°.

Back