Anyone ever travel to India?

SouthernShred

'16 Grandaddy Champ - Team Unity
Reaction score
Handicap
I may have to go to India for a week or two in the next 6 months...any travel tips to keep me safe / healthy?

My son went and got deathly sick. And he was with a local who supposedly knew the "safe places." I had a VP who packed a suitcase full of protein bars and bottled water, about as far as one could get from his usual diet.

Our company's medical center will pack an "overseas kit" consisting of things like Immodium, acetominophen, etc.

Tough to do in public, but you might want to consider something like a LifeStraw for drinking water in your hotel.

make sure you get all the required vaccines, stick to bottled water and avoid uncooked vegetables and fruits and you'll be fine.

Almost had to twice for work (a few jobs back) and managed to get out of it both times

Almost had to twice for work (a few jobs back) and managed to get out of it both times

I'm doing my best to send one of my guys who is actually from India but I may not be able to avoid it...Maybe I can get myself demoted...

I travelled to just outside New Delhi in 2014, then Chandigarh this past October. In my experience, bottled water for everything (brushing teeth, drinking, etc.), get your up to date vaccines (Malaria, Hep A&B, Typhoid) and pack some Immodium just in case. I stayed away from any restaurants outside of the hotel and came back sick-free both times. YMMV, but i tended to err on the side of caution for everything. Which sucks, because the food is DELICIOUS IMHO.

Ditto the previous suggestions about packing your own food. Your gut is not prepared for their food and it can easily create a miserable experience.

Shred,
Never been to India and hope it never comes up but I do travel to some out of the way places in South America and my rule of thumb is always bottled everything, no ice in drinks and if I suspect the food only french fries.

My thinking is nothing can survive the boiling grease and so far no problems, I was in Talara, Peru for a week and only ate fried fish and fires the whole time and came away just bit fatter but no other problems.

I’ve been multiple times to Mumbai for multiple weeks and most suggestions so far are spot on. I have never gotten sick so I think everything has been covered but here are my absolutes.

I always stayed at a 5 Star hotel and always ate every meal at hotel including taking a boxed lunch or protein bars I brought with me for lunch, always had a personal driver to take me to/from office, mosquito repellent, if there is a mosquito in your bedroom before you go to bed, find it and kill it, they carry some nasty things, don’t eat any fruit you cannot peel personally, no salads, no water, close mouth and eyes while showering and finally first time I went my doctor gave me a drug that I took when I got home for 13 days, it was supposed to kill everything in your body. It sure did but I felt like sh*t for 3 months. Next trip I didn’t take it a few felt just fine.

Finally, avoid the rainy season if you can and pack a roll or 2 of toilet paper in your backpack, just in case. You wouldn’t believe how many places i’ve visited that all they have in the stall is a hose! Don’t advertise you are from USA, if asked on street say Canada or something else. I have had associates get in difficult situations and in all cases their personal driver got them out of trouble. Guard your wallet and passport and behave yourself.

My trips were all for business so the sightseeing was not on my agenda, basically a lot of the countries I used to visit were just get in and get out safely and India was one of them. After all that, I hope you have a great trip.

It sounds nice but I will just skip the whole travel to India deal.

1. Book airline seat next to restroom.
2. Never have ice in drinks
3. Never eat salad, it has been washed in dirty water.
4. Take Imodium with you.
5. Put toilet paper in fridge.
6. Make sure that people serving you bottled water open the bottle in front of you.

Otherwise, enjoy!

My favourite memory was riding in the taxi back to the airport, I watched the bus in the next lane where there was a guy climbing up the outside of the bus to join the people sitting on the roof. There were a dozen people inside an eight seater bus. I commented that however uncomfortable it may be inside , it had to be better than on top, he must be mad. Oh no sir, he is collecting the fares.:freaked-out:

I've never been but know a couple of people that have gone. Both got very sick even though they followed their Dr's orders to the letter.
You couldn't get me in that country for anything.

Back