Difference in club fitters

ohthehumanity

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone, I am in the process of upgrading my whole bag as it has been pieced together over the years and now I want to get all of my gear fitted, but I have a dilemma.

The place where I am considering to get my gear from is a newer place but they are authorized dealers of Miura, Callaway, Mizuno, and Ping so they must be reputable, but I am wondering how good they are at club fitting because they are a new shop?

THP member ArmyGolf has given me a place here where we live, and I really appreciate his advice, but they would end up charging me $300 plus for the fitting and they don’t waive that fee if you buy the gear from them unlike the place I am considering.

The place ArmyGolf recommended has a great reputation and they use Trackman and Quintic as opposed to only Flightscope X3 at the place I am leaning towards. The expensive shop has you hit onto their range, and the new shop has you hit onto the range with range balls to see the flight first, and then they have you use your gamer balls to hit into a net to see the Flightscope #s.

Both places will have me fit with a CPGA class A teacher, so my question to you is, should I spend the extra $300 for the fitting at the place with a great reputation, or give these new guys a shot because I am going to be dropping around $3000-$3500 and it would be nice to save a few hundy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I will be sure to update you all once I figure this out.

Difference in club fitters

I’m assuming you’re talking about modern golf. I’d pay the $300 and get it done right. You said it yourself, you’re spending lots of money and you went the best possible fit. $300 might seem like a lot but the knowledge you’ll come out of it with will stay with your game indefinitely.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am in the process of upgrading my whole bag as it has been pieced together over the years and now I want to get all of my gear fitted, but I have a dilemma.

The place where I am considering to get my gear from is a newer place but they are authorized dealers of Miura, Callaway, Mizuno, and Ping so they must be reputable, but I am wondering how good they are at club fitting because they are a new shop?

THP member ArmyGolf has given me a place here where we live, and I really appreciate his advice, but they would end up charging me $300 plus for the fitting and they don’t waive that fee if you buy the gear from them unlike the place I am considering.

The place ArmyGolf recommended has a great reputation and they use Trackman and Quintic as opposed to only Flightscope X3 at the place I am leaning towards. The expensive shop has you hit onto their range, and the new shop has you hit onto the range with range balls to see the flight first, and then they have you use your gamer balls to hit into a net to see the Flightscope #s.

Both places will have me fit with a CPGA class A teacher, so my question to you is, should I spend the extra $300 for the fitting at the place with a great reputation, or give these new guys a shot because I am going to be dropping around $3000-$3500 and it would be nice to save a few hundy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I will be sure to update you all once I figure this out.

What's your goal ?
If it is to drop from a 15 handicap to a 13 then doing a fitting and buying new equipment may get you there.
If your goal is to drop from a 15 to a 9 (or lower) then spend the money for lessons and the time to practice same.
I discussed this same subject with a former Tour pro and he said 99% of players don't have the desire or time to put in the time learning and practicing improved swing technique, so for them getting fit to a faulty swing (and maybe shaving a point or two off their handicap) is a reason to get fit for clubs.

The $300 fitting is a small percentage of your overall budget. If you invest in this I personally believe you would end up far ahead of the game in the long run.

This is not a knock on the other fitter by any means. I'm sure they would do a fine job, but I kinda sense a bit of doubt in your post and that is not a good thing going into your first full fitting.

As far as purchases after the fitting, you are not compelled or obligated to purchase from them and that leaves a lot of options open for you to research before committing to any purchase. You will have the data from the fitting and that's the important thing IMO.

Delete this post, since it posted twice.

Last edited:
Morgan Creek. The guys at Modern Golf are great and I have been there for a driver fitting, but my gamer was so close I didn’t buy from them. The thing I don’t like about Modern a golf is they hit indoors and you can’t see the ball flight.

What's your goal ?
If it is to drop from a 15 handicap to a 13 then doing a fitting and buying new equipment may get you there.
If your goal is to drop from a 15 to a 9 (or lower) then spend the money for lessons and the time to practice same.
I discussed this same subject with a former Tour pro and he said 99% of players don't have the desire or time to put in the time learning and practicing improved swing technique, so for them getting fit to a faulty swing (and maybe shaving a point or two off their handicap) is a reason to get fit for clubs.

My goal is to get to single digit and I am taking lessons and my pro has said it’s time to get fit and it will definitely help me.

Thanks Oldpro. Yes there is some doubt but these guys ah e been really good in letting me try some gear and talk gear with them that I almost feel compelled to give them a shot, but it’s like you said, there is a little doubt here.

Thanks Oldpro. Yes there is some doubt but these guys have been really good in letting me try some gear and talk gear with them that I almost feel compelled to give them a shot, but it’s like you said, there is a little doubt here.

$300 seems really steep. I have been fit by reputable fitters and the fee was much less, and waived if you purchased through them.

As to the new shop...that doesn't mean the fitters have little or no experience.

However, do what gives you the most peace of mind.

I like supporting the little guy and would feel a little guilty not going with them, but I do have some doubt that I will get the best possible fit. I guess the question here is how much better could the expensive fitting be than the new guys if they have a CPGA promdoing it for me?

I like supporting the little guy and would feel a little guilty not going with them, but I do have some doubt that I will get the best possible fit. I guess the question here is how much better could the expensive fitting be than the new guys if they have a CPGA promdoing it for me?

Typically, if the gutters are equal (don’t know that they are or aren’t in this case) the biggest different is going to be the available options. I know some places have almost everything on the market, and others have a more limited selection. I’m with you in that I like supporting the little guy, so I lean that way, unless they don’t have something you want to try.

lol! That is a question only you can answer, My Friend.

Typically, if the gutters are equal (don’t know that they are or aren’t in this case) the biggest different is going to be the available options. I know some places have almost everything on the market, and others have a more limited selection. I’m with you in that I like supporting the little guy, so I lean that way, unless they don’t have something you want to try.

They have fitting carts for the stock options, but I don’t think they would have all of the after market shaft options. I’m cool with stock options because it seems like the manufacturers are offering more options lately. I am leaning toward Callaway Apex with the Catalyst shaft because it just felt awesome. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is because I am a Ping loyalist, I need to rule out the G410 before I go Cally, but the G410 would have to be earth shattering for me because I was so in love with the new Apex 19s.

They have fitting carts for the stock options, but I don’t think they would have all of the after market shaft options. I’m cool with stock options because it seems like the manufacturers are offering more options lately. I am leaning toward Callaway Apex with the Catalyst shaft because it just felt awesome. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger is because I am a Ping loyalist, I need to rule out the G410 before I go Cally, but the G410 would have to be earth shattering for me because I was so in love with the new Apex 19s.

Dang Oldpro, I was hoping you could make that decision for me haha!

Makes sense man, and if they’ve got something you like, I’m all for supporting the new guy in town.

Theres probably no wrong choice in the end. I'm confident in saying that there isnt a better place to get fit locally for Callaway equipment than Morgan Creek, but that doesnt mean other places can't get the job done.

I did get fit at modern golf as well but did so with my irons first. They did try to convince me to go with mizzys but they just couldn't out perform my Apex. But I got my specs and if I want to purchase another set, I have my numbers. It was a good experience. They were friendly and accommodating. Went back later for a loft/lie adjustment for a nominal amount.

Since then, I've gone for driver, fairway and putter fittings just to get numbers. I ended up purchasing one fwy wood from them but they never charged me for any of the other fittings. They do care for their customers and go out of their way to make them to be happy. FWIW, I visit them in the off season when they are quieter. Wish they do wedge fittings but they don't want to as they don't have access to a turf range.

No them
Theres probably no wrong choice in the end. I'm confident in saying that there isnt a better place to get fit locally for Callaway equipment than Morgan Creek, but that doesnt mean other places can't get the job done.

For sure AG and I really appreciated your advice. I am just trying to be as cost effective as I can, but I also want to make sure I am doing it right so getting as many options as I can will help me make the decision.

thanks again.

I actually went there today to hit them again but forgot my golf shoes and I just didn’t seem to be hitting them as well, but the Srixon felt better so who knows what I’m going to get haha.

$300 seems really steep. I have been fit by reputable fitters and the fee was much less, and waived if you purchased through them.

As to the new shop...that doesn't mean the fitters have little or no experience.

However, do what gives you the most peace of mind.

Funny, for a full bag fitting I think this price is quite reaonable. For the "good" fitters in my area the price starts around $300 and can be up to $700 for some others. I say good because I have only been to 1 or 2 of the probably 5 that I would consider in the area based on their reputation.

Back