Club Champion - Fort Worth, TX

jeege

Average Lefty
Reaction score
Handicap
Background Info
Before I go into some details of the facility and my first ever fitting experience, I want to give you guys some of my info and golf background as I'm pretty new here and haven't met anyone in person yet.

I'm 26 years old and by no stretch of the imagination a big guy; I stand at about 5'4 and weigh around 135 pounds. I do go to the gym about 5-6 times a week to stay in pretty good shape (and also work in physical therapy). I grew up playing baseball and played through high school and signed to play in college before a shoulder injury ended that. That was a good 8-9 years ago, so the shoulder is good and doesn't hinder my golf swing thankfully. I never played golf growing up and my friends and I picked it up around 2011-2012 as a hobby to take the place of baseball. My current set of clubs are all stock off the rack purchased mainly off looks or as gifts from family members. I haven't played as much once I was in grad school and starting my career, playing maybe three times a year and rarely going to a range, so this fitting is my first step toward practicing and playing more.
Whenever I do play, my ball flight is terrifyingly low. Especially with the driver (picture 4 degrees of driver launch :sick:). I'm left handed and my miss is usually a block/push out to the left.

Current Clubs
Driver - Taylormade R11 (10.5 deg), Fujikura Blur Stiff Flex (60g)
3 Wood - Taylormade RBZ (14.5 deg), Matrix XCON Stiff Flex (70g)
3 Hybrid - Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 (19 deg), Matrix Rocketfuel Stiff Flex (65g)
4 Hybrid - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 (21 deg), Taylormade Re*AX Regular Flex (60g)
Irons (5-PW) - Taylormade RBZ, Taylormade RBZ Steel Stiff Flex (85g), -0.5" Length
Wedges - Titleist Vokey (50, 54, 58 deg), True Temper Dynamic Gold (?g)
Putter - Taylormade Ghost Spider (2012), 31"
Grips - Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G

Fitting Experience
Based off pictures I've seen from other CC fittings here on the site, I think the facility was pretty similar. The Fort Worth location is in a shopping center in a pretty busy area, so the parking was pretty packed. It's raining here today, so I snagged this picture of the front while still in my car.
CC Front.JPG

The SAM PuttLab was located on the right when you walk in next to the front desk.
SAM PuttLab 1.JPGSAM PuttLab 2.JPG

There was a sitting area to the left with a tv on the Golf Channel. On the left side behind the sitting area was where the glory resided; a wall full of drivers, woods, hybrids, irons, and shafts to go along.
CC Shaft Wall.JPGCC Driver Wall.JPGCC Iron Wall.JPG

Today, I worked with a gentleman named Joel Lynch. He's a great guy to work with, very personable and has a good knowledge of different shafts and clubs to best suit your swing. He made the overall experience relaxed and continuously asked if I needed something to drink or to take a break. He had a good idea of what club/shaft combos would give me optimal numbers for each discipline of club after only seeing a few swings with each of my current gamers. Each time we would narrow down a shaft first, but he'd give me a few different club heads to try and I think each time the first club he chose would also give the best results. I would recommend this guy in a heartbeat to anyone in the area thinking about doing a club fitting.

Iron/Wedge Fitting

We hit the irons first, every swing being with a 6 iron. He and I were both surprised with my club speed and he realized pretty quickly that, with my current clubs, the flex wasn't stiff enough and the weight was way too light. I don't remember each shaft that we tried but we narrowed it down to the OBAN CT-115 Extra Stiff. He had me try Taylormade P760, Mizuno JPX 919 Forged, Titleist 718 AP3, and Callaway Apex 19. The AP3 was the first to go as the numbers weren't matching up to the others for me and then the Apex got the boot as well. The P760 and JPX 919 both felt very good off the face and had similar numbers, but the JPX 919 had more ball speed while also improving launch angle and spin. And the dispersion of shots was much smaller. I liked the looks of P760 more but had to go with JPX 919 based off the numbers, so that's what we decided on. After picking the combo, he had me hit off a lie board and decided we needed to flatten the lie 1.5 degrees. The set will consist of 4-GW.

For the wedges, we decided my current gamers were best for me but I'll be taking the 50 degree out of the bag and go with the JPX 919 for the 50 degree gap wedge. Joel decided this based on the fact that I use the 50 degree to hit full shots 99% of the time and rarely use it around the green. He again had me hit off a lie board and was nice enough to flatten my 54 and 58 degree wedges 2.5 degrees for free.

RBZ 6 Iron Cropped.JPG
The numbers for my current RBZ 6 iron. As you can see, a really low launch angle and less spin than Joel wanted with the stock lofts being stronger than normal.

P760 Iron Cropped.JPG
The numbers for the Taylormade P760 6 iron with the Oban shaft we decided on earlier. The JPX 919 gave me on average about 1 degree less of launch and increasing spin rate about 300rpm, along with a little more ball speed. Unfortunately, I didn't catch a picture of the numbers for it.

Driver Fitting
Another customer was using the SAM PuttLab at the time, so we went on to the driver next. We tried the Paderson Kinetix Launch D30 Stiff along with the OBAN Devotion 7 Extra Stiff (78g) and finally decided again on the OBAN. I was hoping the Kinetix would give better numbers, only because I loved the look of that shaft. The drivers he had me swing were the Callaway Epic Flash, Taylormade M5 and M6, and Titleist TS2. I was originally hoping to try the M5 and M6 as I've heard a lot of good things about them, but those were the first two drivers to go. Both the Epic Flash and TS2 felt great and gave very similar numbers, but the misses with the TS2 (11.5 deg) were better and it had a tighter dispersion so that was the pick with the club head adjusted to C4.

TS2 Cropped.JPG
The numbers from the Titleist TS2 with the Paderson Kinetix Launch. I didn't get a picture with the OBAN we decided on, but ball speed and spin rate were almost identical but the OBAN gave me just over 10 degrees of launch compared to the 7 degrees here.

Wood Fitting
Next came the 3 wood. I don't usually hit my current too often as I don't feel comfortable with it, mostly because the launch was way too low. I can't remember all of the shaft and club heads we tried and would end up confusing them more than likely. We ended up deciding on the same club/shaft combo as the driver; Titleist TS2 (16.5 deg) adjusted to C4 with the OBAN Devotion 7 Extra Stiff (78g).

Putter Fitting
Next was the putter. Using the SAM PuttLab, Joel was able to tell that a mallet putter was best for me as I have a pretty straight back-straight through motion. The numbers showed that my face angle averaged 0.0 degrees at impact (I left my phone in the bay so I have no proof lol) and he liked that it was shortened to 31" since my eyeline was in a good spot, so we decided to leave it in the bag.

Hybrid Fitting
Lastly was the hybrid. We tried an OBAN Devotion Hybrid Extra Stiff (90g) shaft along with a KBS TOUR Graphite Hybrid Extra Stiff (95g). I was hoping the OBAN would win out to keep my shafts similar and both felt good, but the KBS ultimately gave smaller dispersion so that was the winner. The club head that gave the best numbers ended up being the Titleist 818 H1 (19 deg).

Final Thoughts
I couldn't be happier going through Club Champion and working with Joel. The full bag fitting was half off since they just opened 3 weeks ago (the deal lasts until 3/16/2019). The cost of building the clubs is pretty steep, which I was expecting based off other CC reviews/experiences I've seen on here. I plan on buying through them just because of the great experience I had and how patient Joel was answering all of my questions and being so knowledgable. Overall 10/10 experience.

Last edited:
Excellent report on your fitting jeege. I'll be doing something similar at Golftec in Frisco or Plano in the next month.

I live north of Denton, but play with some guys down in Ft. Worth on occasion. The next time I'm headed that way I'll shoot you a PM.

The DFW crew used to be more active. Maybe it will pick back up this Spring.

Great write up and thanks for sharing your experience! The more I hear about CC the more I want to get fitted but don’t want to spend the cash for a new set currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent report on your fitting jeege. I'll be doing something similar at Golftec in Frisco or Plano in the next month.

I live north of Denton, but play with some guys down in Ft. Worth on occasion. The next time I'm headed that way I'll shoot you a PM.

The DFW crew used to be more active. Maybe it will pick back up this Spring.

I appreciate you taking the time to read it and hope your fitting also goes well!
I went to UNT so I know the Denton area well, but please do! I'd love to meet and play with some of the members on here.

I am SO glad this went well and even more glad you shared with us!!!

Much appreciated my man! I was hoping to shed some light on how the CC fittings go for anyone curious and also give you all an idea of who I am. Even if it is just over the internet lol

Great write up and thanks for sharing your experience! The more I hear about CC the more I want to get fitted but don’t want to spend the cash for a new set currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! It was definitely a great experience but I completely understand the cost concern.

Thanks for sharing. This was similar to my fitting I did a few years back. Easy going staff with no pressure to purchase the clubs from them.

Much appreciated my man! I was hoping to shed some light on how the CC fittings go for anyone curious and also give you all an idea of who I am. Even if it is just over the internet lol

It's great to see it.

THP is a pretty incredible community. Always here, always curious. Hope to see you stick around.

Thanks for sharing. This was similar to my fitting I did a few years back. Easy going staff with no pressure to purchase the clubs from them.

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with them as well.

It's great to see it.

THP is a pretty incredible community. Always here, always curious. Hope to see you stick around.

I've learned that in my short time here, but I plan on it :good:

Back