Trouble hitting draw can't seem to do it anymore?

mikeisanace7

Reaction score
Handicap
In the past I hit a great draw all from feel unfortunately recent trackman knowledge has spoiled my game in my head and at best I push it or cut it when I try. The reason for all of this is I have learned a lot about the fact face angle at impact effects essentially 100% of initial ball direction and the following after is influenced by swing path. This is perplexing I used to try a stronger grip,or a little more release closing my stance it's all junk sorta.. It's crazy to think releasing the clubhead after impact does anything because it don't in fact the weird thing is your 5 wood face for example can be open 3 degrees right at impact and if the path is 6 to the right you get a nice draw,but the face is open no release.. It's messing with my head a bit sames goes for fade shots it's a plus minus thing and I feel this from knowledge and kinda just hit it straight no complaints,but I like the draw.

In a nut shell to hit a draw the face needs to be closed more than the path to the right to create an opposite spin axis reaction! You can do this by trying to close the face before impact which is probably what I used to do,or close the face at address which I don't like. Either way it's before impact the tighter the differential the less spin axis,to tight and it will just be a push kinda where I stand.

So what your thoughts on hitting a draw we know the science,but what do you feel to make it work?

In the past I hit a great draw all from feel unfortunately recent trackman knowledge has spoiled my game in my head and at best I push it or cut it when I try. The reason for all of this is I have learned a lot about the fact face angle at impact effects essentially 100% of initial ball direction and the following after is influenced by swing path. This is perplexing I used to try a stronger grip,or a little more release closing my stance it's all junk sorta.. It's crazy to think releasing the clubhead after impact does anything because it don't in fact the weird thing is your 5 wood face for example can be open 3 degrees right at impact and if the path is 6 to the right you get a nice draw,but the face is open no release.. It's messing with my head a bit sames goes for fade shots it's a plus minus thing and I feel this from knowledge and kinda just hit it straight no complaints,but I like the draw.

In a nut shell to hit a draw the face needs to be closed more than the path to the right to create an opposite spin axis reaction! You can do this by trying to close the face before impact which is probably what I used to do,or close the face at address which I don't like. Either way it's before impact the tighter the differential the less spin axis,to tight and it will just be a push kinda where I stand.

So what your thoughts on hitting a draw we know the science,but what do you feel to make it work?

I don't know about your own swing, but I will say my observation is that most amateurs who draw the ball do so by having the club face a bit closed-shut at address, as well as aligning their body right of the target line at address. Neither of these address positions is fundamentally sound (or good for ball striking consistency) but many players like the distance and look of a right-to-left shot.

True kinda a pull draw a powerful shot,usually offline a bit but could be worse.

True kinda a pull draw a powerful shot,usually offline a bit but could be worse.

To hit their draw shot, lots of players have their club face closed at address, and, or, at address aim their body right and then make an over the top swing to bring the ball towards the target. Usually players do both of these things, especially those in the 0-8 handicap range.

I have also have had more trouble hitting a draw with my irons (balls, clubs, less spin?) I found that by closing my stance just a bit with a toe out on my lead foot I can take a normal swing but it helps me rotate through the ball more creating approximately 5 yard draw

We make this way more complicated than it needs to be, don't we?

Most of us have played tennis or ping pong. If we stuck with it any amount of time, we learned to hit the ball with top spin, back spin, and side spin to make it curve a little or a lot. We learned how to do this without the benefit of a Trackman, Flightscope, or signing up for a 12-pack of lessons each year for 5 years.

So, if you have done this with a tennis or ping pong ball, you already know what makes a ball curve right to left and how to do it. Next time you are at the practice range just do the same thing using a golf ball and a club.

We make this way more complicated than it needs to be, don't we?

Most of us have played tennis or ping pong. If we stuck with it any amount of time, we learned to hit the ball with top spin, back spin, and side spin to make it curve a little or a lot. We learned how to do this without the benefit of a Trackman, Flightscope, or signing up for a 12-pack of lessons each year for 5 years.

So, if you have done this with a tennis or ping pong ball, you already know what makes a ball curve right to left and how to do it. Next time you are at the practice range just do the same thing using a golf ball and a club.

You’ve clearly never seen my ping pong game...

Though I'm still learning how to hit the draw on command, I'm slowly developing it. For me, the swing path has been a larger influence to whether the shot has been a draw, a pull, or a fade. By effectively establishing a repeatable neutral swing path (I'm finally at a 0° In to Out path for the first time in my golf game) I'm able to manipulate my stance to more of a closed position, then square my club face to be perpendicular to the target. Note: my club face is closed in reference to the alignment of my feet, hips, and shoulders, but the face is directly on target line. I then do my best to maintain that neutral swing.

If all goes as planned (perhaps 20% of the time at this point), the ball starts in the direction of the toe of the club, but then draws back along towards the intended target line due to the gear effect. It's all really simple in theory, but we all know that golf isn't about making every amazing shot, it's about trying to mitigate and fix the misses.

-Bishop

Trouble hitting draw can't seem to do it anymore?

I went from hitting a crappy weak fade to drawing the ball as my stock.

The reference to a powerful ping pong shot or tennis shot with lots of top spin is the best analogy for what the hands and arms need to do.

I also pretend I’m shooting at a large goal or net with targets on them. If I’m playing anything but driver I feel like I’m hitting the ball bottom right. Driver is top right. I love seeing a nice push draw. My miss is still a 2 way but I’m working on it. I either leave the face open for a straight push or get lazy with my swing direction and hook it.

Works great but took me a long time to develop and I still constantly work at it. I still reference my 2 winters at Golftec to ensure I continue to work on those fundamentals.

Back