2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always something to see at the chest, first bench press that come down 6" from the chest, now deadlifts that start at the knees,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, got a little trainer at at big box gym rant. There is a trainer that has come up to me a few times trying to peddle training and other services at the gym where I train. Been thinking about getting some thoughts on doing some things and do things like checking form etc, so I said ok to one of their free evaluations. First thing was to put me on one of their scales that also supposedly measures body fat and inflammation. According to this scale I am 38% body fat and need to lose 49 pounds off my 6'1" 199 pound frame. Sorry, I would really rather not look like someone on the cover page for Eating Disorder Monthly. Then got the hard sell for the extensive lab test the recommend. Sorry, got all of that done at my annual physical and hematologist report last year. Don't really need a nutritionist session to review my blood test results and recommend dietery tweeks either. Lastly got the sell on buying a block of sessions I had to pay for up front. Not really wanting to "work on my balance skills", and I know how to do wood chops.

Took a while for all of it to start sinking in. But, the more I thought about it the more pissed off I got. Generally reinforced my thoughts on the majority of these "trainers" at most of these type of facilities. Save a few proof of purchases from some cereal boxes, send them in with $50 and a certification that says you are a trainer. Last time I had my BF checked, I was about 16-17%, and I am leaner now. I am by no means someone you look at and expect to be on a body building stage, but do at least look like I am at least familiar with the inside of a gym. So leave me alone, and let me deadlift in peace.

Rant over...

There's always something to see at the chest, first bench press that come down 6" from the chest, now deadlifts that start at the knees,

Not that im defending whoever you're talking about but yes there are deads that start at the knees. Rack pulls are an example.

Ok, got a little trainer at at big box gym rant. There is a trainer that has come up to me a few times trying to peddle training and other services at the gym where I train. Been thinking about getting some thoughts on doing some things and do things like checking form etc, so I said ok to one of their free evaluations. First thing was to put me on one of their scales that also supposedly measures body fat and inflammation. According to this scale I am 38% body fat and need to lose 49 pounds off my 6'1" 199 pound frame. Sorry, I would really rather not look like someone on the cover page for Eating Disorder Monthly. Then got the hard sell for the extensive lab test the recommend. Sorry, got all of that done at my annual physical and hematologist report last year. Don't really need a nutritionist session to review my blood test results and recommend dietery tweeks either. Lastly got the sell on buying a block of sessions I had to pay for up front. Not really wanting to "work on my balance skills", and I know how to do wood chops.

Took a while for all of it to start sinking in. But, the more I thought about it the more pissed off I got. Generally reinforced my thoughts on the majority of these "trainers" at most of these type of facilities. Save a few proof of purchases from some cereal boxes, send them in with $50 and a certification that says you are a trainer. Last time I had my BF checked, I was about 16-17%, and I am leaner now. I am by no means someone you look at and expect to be on a body building stage, but do at least look like I am at least familiar with the inside of a gym. So leave me alone, and let me deadlift in peace.

Rant over...
Eff that gym. Is this in your home town?

Not that im defending whoever you're talking about but yes there are deads that start at the knees. Rack pulls are an example.
Romanian Deadlifts start at the top and end at the knees.

I learn something new everyday, I guess I'm just confused on what the benefit of throwing a bunch of weight( I didn't count the plates but it looked like 350) on a bar to do half a deadlift. Looks like I have some research to do.

Romanian Deadlifts start at the top and end at the knees.

These we're not RDL, and he had the safeties set just above his knees.

These we're not RDL, and he had the safeties set just above his knees.

Rack pulls. If he was in a rack and doing them, he's a dick because he probably bent the bar.

Was he a bigger guy or a wee lad?

Rack pulls. If he was in a rack and doing them, he's a dick because he probably bent the bar.

While I don't know your measurements I'd say in between me and you. I suppose I just don't see what the benefit would be over a deadlift. Just more more of an isolation lift?

Wait it's a rack pull, where else would you do them besides a rack? Lol

While I don't know your measurements I'd say in between me and you. I suppose I just don't see what the benefit would be over a deadlift. Just more more of an isolation lift?

You're breaking the deadlift up into different parts. With things like the rack pulls and haulting at different levels you can help build a stronger deadlift.

Yeah, it's Lifetime Fitness. Actually really good facilities, and pretty plush atmosphere. Like all of that. I have trained in the smaller gyms, but at my age and given our summers like working out in a climate controlled environment. All of the smaller gyms in the area are generally non climate controlled and either do not have the level of equipment, or are more Crossfit type boxes where you just do not go in on your own schedule and do your own workout.

Guess I need to just keep some head phones on and not make eye contact. Or just not be nice and just say no firmly. There actually are one or two trainers there that I have watched and would work with. They are the exceptions that prove the rules though.

Wait it's a rack pull, where else would you do them besides a rack? Lol
Off of blocks.

Depends on who you talk to. I'm a believer, if a trainee can't deadlift heavy without two weeks or more of rest, using partial movements is a good plan. Rack pulls are an assistance lift, meant to *help* deadlift more. I'm 6' 235lbs. If he was only pulling 350, he's not strong enough to be doing them. He just needs to deadlift. only my opinion.

You're breaking the deadlift up into different parts. With things like the rack pulls and haulting at different levels you can help build a stronger deadlift.

Well then I retract my , I learned something new. As for my workout it was another great workout, chest 5x5.

Bench @165

Incline DB Press, DB Bench, DB Flys, and incline BB Bench.

Hit all my numbers again.

Off of blocks.

Depends on who you talk to. I'm a believer, if a trainee can't deadlift heavy without two weeks or more of rest, using partial movements is a good plan. Rack pulls are an assistance lift, meant to *help* deadlift more. I'm 6' 235lbs. If he was only pulling 350, he's not strong enough to be doing them. He just needs to deadlift. only my opinion.
Weird, your god does them in a rack. He must be a dick.

https://youtu.be/6ssG3e4ifsY

Yeah, it's Lifetime Fitness. Actually really good facilities, and pretty plush atmosphere. Like all of that. I have trained in the smaller gyms, but at my age and given our summers like working out in a climate controlled environment. All of the smaller gyms in the area are generally non climate controlled and either do not have the level of equipment, or are more Crossfit type boxes where you just do not go in on your own schedule and do your own workout.

Guess I need to just keep some head phones on and not make eye contact. Or just not be nice and just say no firmly. There actually are one or two trainers there that I have watched and would work with. They are the exceptions that prove the rules though.
Ugh. The worst. I find it odd that they would recommend blood work

Ugh. The worst. I find it odd that they would recommend blood work
Yeah that one really caught me off guard. I knew they had the VO2 max testing, and nutritionist among other things. But this is getting into pretty extensive medical testing. Also guessing doing it there it would not be covered by insurance. The whole BF and inflammation estimate standing on the scale was laughable. At 38% I am morbidly obese. Not many people with a 33" waste would think that.

But I'm going to add, that I'm quitting my goal of hitting 190lbs.
I'm just going to continue lifting and if I gain weight so be it. I weighed 186 Sunday night, then Tuesday morning I was down to 181. I honestly don't know how, all I did Monday was lift and eat, lol.

But I'm going to add, that I'm quitting my goal of hitting 190lbs.
I'm just going to continue lifting and if I gain weight so be it. I weighed 186 Sunday night, then Tuesday morning I was down to 181. I honestly don't know how, all I did Monday was lift and eat, lol.

Going to depend what and how much you eat brotha. Its totally possible but it may be time to get more strict with the diet.

Going to depend what and how much you eat brotha. Its totally possible but it may be time to get more strict with the diet.

2 Protein shakes, 2 bowls of cereal, Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich combo, sausage pasta, and 4 beers yesterday, and I lost 5 lbs.

2 Protein shakes, 2 bowls of cereal, Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich combo, sausage pasta, and 4 beers yesterday, and I lost 5 lbs.

Ill pm you haha.

Weird, your god does them in a rack. He must be a dick.

https://youtu.be/6ssG3e4ifsY
He also mentions having a bar that's already bent (can't remember if it's in that video or on the SS forum). If your gym has good $300+ bars and you bend one, memberships may be revoked. Rip is also in his gym, with his bars.

Now, 350 won't bend a bar. But if a trainee has a legit need for rack pulls, they should be done well above deadlift. I'm thinking a 450lb deadlifter may be able to put 525 on the bar for rack pulls.

He also mentions having a bar that's already bent (can't remember if it's in that video or on the SS forum). If your gym has good $300+ bars and you bend one, memberships may be revoked. Rip is also in his gym, with his bars.

Now, 350 won't bend a bar. But if a trainee has a legit need for rack pulls, they should be done well above deadlift. I'm thinking a 450lb deadlifter may be able to put 525 on the bar for rack pulls.
I would reply but I feel like no matter what I say you'll have a rebuttal.

I would reply but I feel like no matter what I say you'll have a rebuttal.
Are you going to reply to the weight references I randomly picked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back