Marketing for TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Ballzy marketing IMO.

That said, I am really happy to see them aggressively marketing again and not just letting releases sit.

• Admin
Ballzy marketing IMO.

That said, I am really happy to see them aggressively marketing again and not just letting releases sit.

Agreed. Very glad to see them putting info and content out there.

With that said, they are forgetting they marketed the Stage 2 at 10 yards longer.

"Distance claim based on robot testing of 3 wood at tour player head speed."

Loved the information, but I think it's a terrible strategy to go back to distance claims, especially when they don't apply to the market for M2.

Loved the information, but I think it's a terrible strategy to go back to distance claims, especially when they don't apply to the market for M2.

I don't know, distance applies to everyone. It sells, whether we like it or not (I'm not a fan either), it does definitely sell.

Minor details, the big letters are what matter. Hahaha

I hate distance claims....as they NEVER seem to transpire to what I see on course. Give me easier to hit, better turf interaction, forgiveness, etc - all better than 13 yards.

I agree with Capadan. Don't tell me it's longer, tell me I can hit it better, or it's easier to hit, more forgiving. Distance is great, but what I need is a club I can pull out and consistently hit straight, or close to straight.

I know Distance is king in a lot of people's eyes, and I suspect distance sells clubs, and that I'm way out of the norm, but it doesn't do much for me as far as marketing.

Taylormade thread regarding distance claims...:popcorn:

pesky fine print too...distance claim based on robot testing of 3-woods at tour player head speed.

I don't know, distance applies to everyone. It sells, whether we like it or not (I'm not a fan either), it does definitely sell.

Im with Jman, every company is doing it and while not original, I think its still fun and works.

Interesting stuff here. I like the explanation behind how they're getting the extra 13 yards over just saying, "13 yards further". I'd be curious though to hit an R11 and M2 to see if it's actually 30 yards further. I'm not in the market for a 3w, but I'll definitely go give this one a swing.

While I am not personally a fan of saying that one club is X yards longer, that is what the average consumer wants to see. TM is going hard lately it seems, and I am digging that they are TRYING to right the ship.

While I am not personally a fan of saying that one club is X yards longer, that is what the average consumer wants to see. TM is going hard lately it seems, and I am digging that they are TRYING to right the ship.

Agree 100%

That's funny, if this trend keeps up we'll have a fw that's about 60 or 70 yards longer than the one we just bought about 4 years prior. Ha!

That being said, I'm already intrigued based on what I'm hearing about the M2 driver, so I'll be checking it out for sure!

Im with Jman, every company is doing it and while not original, I think its still fun and works.

haha that's fine, but regardless of how many companies are doing it, it's still misleading... Otherwise the fine print wouldn't be so fine.

How is this any different than tour edge owning "the longest fairway wood in golf" swinging at 110mph?

Agree completely.
My question is about the fairway woods in the middle. Now before I go on, I should state that almost all companies post that the comparisons are against a club that is a few years back. Usually its based on 3 years or so which fits here.

But my thought is for TaylorMade, instead of just saying its "13 yards longer", they are saying its 13 yards longer than their biggest selling FW wood ever.
They are also telling me its only 3 yards longer than Stage 2, according to their own marketing.

FWIW, I think 3 yards is good too.

I was thinking to myself, between those 3 clubs I could have become 30 yards longer, distance sells and if you skipped the RBZ and could gain 30 with an M2, that's a ton of extra distance!

haha that's fine, but regardless of how many companies are doing it, it's still misleading... Otherwise the fine print wouldn't be so fine.

How is this any different than you taking issue with tour edge owning "the longest fairway wood in golf" swinging at 110mph?

Because that was not passed as marketing. That was passed as a scientific third party test and the graphics were so out there it was crazy.
I dont take issue with Tour Edge for using it, but it should have been used as marketing material.

Agree 100%
Im perhaps one of the few people that is still a big fan of the brand, and I really hope they can get back to where they were or at least close to it. It's good for golf. Successful equipment companies that push each other is good for all of us.

Heck I'd buy an M2 just on looks alone. I love it at address. They need to be marketing these clubs because I think they have something with them. So it's good to see it out there at least. It's been said a bunch before, but a strong Taylormade is good for golf, whether people like them or not.

Im perhaps one of the few people that is still a big fan of the brand, and I really hope they can get back to where they were or at least close to it. It's good for golf. Successful equipment companies that push each other is good for all of us.

I don't think you are at all. I'm a huge fan of a successful TaylorMade as much as I'm a huge fan of a successful Tiger Woods.... I'm just not a big fan of marketing claims that mislead people -- Regardless of whether it's their own stupid fault or not --- and I know that's just personal opinion and I'm fine with it.

Wow 30 yards? Where do I sign up. I'll game what combination of the numbers and feel, fit my game the best. Who doesn't want more distance?

I mean the marketing works, but give me an M2 3w and 5w to hit against my SLDR and let's see what distance an average golfer really gains. not a robot hitting perfect swings at TOUR speed every time

I don't think many stopped being fans, I think they just got tired of seeing an incredibly lost company. I'm with you though, I hope this is a sign of them turning the corner again, when they really and truly believe in and market their releases long term (not just during release week or so like we saw the last 2 years) then its good for all of us.

Back