Driver leaking out left.

Ricky_davis13

College Student
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
Hey Freddie! If you could, could you take a look at my driver swing? I'm losing it for the most part out left, as I am a lefty, and slicing. I'm not sure if it's alignment or something, but my face is being left way open at impact. Thanks so much!

https://vimeo.com/153057406

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok Ricky this is simple. Your lead hip is spinning out. This is not a bad thing because it means you're driving the swing with the lower body. But if he lead hip clears early the hands are left to catch up and typically the face of the club is open. And you get the left slice.
The fix is two fold. 1. Put some flex in those stems aka your skinny legs. This will help shorten the swing. Maintain the flex through out the back swing.
2. Try to keep your back to the target a fraction longer. This will allow the hands and arms to get out in front of you and through the ball.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Ok Ricky this is simple. Your lead hip is spinning out. This is not a bad thing because it means you're driving the swing with the lower body. But if he lead hip clears early the hands are left to catch up and typically the face of the club is open. And you get the left slice.
The fix is two fold. 1. Put some flex in those stems aka your skinny legs. This will help shorten the swing. Maintain the flex through out the back swing.
2. Try to keep your back to the target a fraction longer. This will allow the hands and arms to get out in front of you and through the ball.

Thank you so much! This makes so much sense. I have felt that the flex in my legs hasn't been there. I will get on the range soon and see how it feels!

Hey Freddie! I have been working on what you were talking about. Here's another swing. Don't mind the loss of balance at the back end lol. How does this look?

https://vimeo.com/154262291

38f0c6e00b3d0b2c2b381aca9194d51e.jpg

Always check your alignment, shoulders are a hair left

c79e377e5efdf5efcfc3fb1ab3e8fdf9.jpg

A tad bit to far inside. Get those hands moving straight back and then up

That being said its a little long but the impact positions are pretty darn good. Keep at it!!!

Hey Freddie! Been working on what you've been talking about, and I'm finally seeing some good results. Here's a video of my latest swing. It felt really good. But if there's anything else you see, I'd love to know!

https://vimeo.com/156797536

Man, that looks really solid. Keep up that tempo and I think you will be fine. Excellent work, keep it up!

Need to stand slightly closer and keep the back leg straight at the top

chip, you just can't help yourself lol!!! he maintains his spine angle really well. show me a single tour pro who has a straight leg at the top of their backswing. straighter than address? yes, usually. but straight? never. a straight back leg is only necessary if someone has trouble making a full turn or lacks flexibility. it lets the hips rotate closed to the target instead of just the shoulders primarily turning.

compared to where op was, his swing looks freaking fantastic. kudos to freddie for getting him going down the proper path, and kudos to op for putting the time and effort in.

compared to where op was, his swing looks freaking fantastic. kudos to freddie for getting him going down the proper path, and kudos to op for putting the time and effort in.

No doubt the swing in that is shown above will get him tee to green very quickly and open the door for more birdies and a chance to par about any hole.

Any other thought, especially about a straight back leg or any other nonsense just shows a lack of knowledge or am intention to derail a golfer's progress.

Looking good Ricky! Major difference from the first vid.

Thanks Freddie. While helping the OP you likely helped me. I have been dealing with a fade and I thought it was because I wasn't getting my front hip to clear. Will have to try out your fix on the range this weekend.

This helped me as well being a fellow lefty.

Back