The Subaru thread

Mine's overheating. Coolant backing up through the overflow.

Hadn't thought about it but I did have to add oil a few days before it overheated.

No chocolate milk colored oil though, but I now know that doesn't mean anything.

I've done that search and read quite a few of the links. Sifting through the garbage was fun.

Pretty sure my parents 07 Legacy GT has the issue. It's been leaking oil for a couple years. Nothing serious but still enough to notice

You may be able to nurse it along without major surgery. Just keep the oil level up. If you start using more than a quart every 1000 miles then I would start to be concerned. That or if you get cross contamination of oil and coolant.

The Subaru thread

Mine's overheating. Coolant backing up through the overflow.

Hadn't thought about it but I did have to add oil a few days before it overheated.

No chocolate milk colored oil though, but I now know that doesn't mean anything.

I would mention the oil consumption problem as well.

These subarus are also known for piston rings going bad and using oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will tell them when I go get the loaner this morning.

Is that another 2.5L issue, or do the 3.6's do it as well?

They all do it

JRod:

Told the guy I had to add oil three days before it happened and he said that they they replace all that stuff when they do the head gasket.

They didn't have any in stock so they had to order, so it's a week before they can get started, so it looks like I am driving a 2016 Forester for about three weeks.

They replace the cam cover gaskets but that's it.

Either way glad to hear it's being taken care of !

JRod:

Told the guy I had to add oil three days before it happened and he said that they they replace all that stuff when they do the head gasket.

They didn't have any in stock so they had to order, so it's a week before they can get started, so it looks like I am driving a 2016 Forester for about three weeks.

The Forester is a nice car, has a sunroof and Sirius radio, which is kinda cool. Wish this had happened just before our trip to Nashville so we could have taken this car on that trip!

I know they give you a nice vehicle so you'll want to buy one, but I only have a few more payments on the Outback and I want to have a couple of years of no car payments.

The Forester goes back tomorrow, as they are already done with my car. The Forester is a nicer vehicle than it was in 2010 when I got the Outback. If I stay with Subaru on my next car, it will probably be a Forester. With the extended warranty, for sure.

That new Forester, did it have cameras around the rear view mirror? There is one where I'm living that has those And I'm really curious what they're for.

That new Forester, did it have cameras around the rear view mirror? There is one where I'm living that has those And I'm really curious what they're for.

That is the Eyesight system. They provide the Lane Assist, Collision Warning/Prevention, and Adaptive Cruise Control (may be missing something).

I have them on my '15 Outback. I wonder now how I drove without those features (particularly the Adaptive Cruise Control).

That's really cool!!

Not that I noticed. I'll look before I take it back.

Though driving a brand new car for a week or so was fun, I'm glad to have my car back and running good. Subaru still has some work to do to fix that head gasket thing.

I've owned a few Subaru's over the years and never had head gasket problems. That said though, we do get different engines here as opposed to the states. For instance, my 2001 Legacy Blitzen has a 2 litre twin turbo motor but Us Legacy GT variants usually had a 2.5 motor.
I've also not had problems with oil consumption. As for oil leaks, the biggest and most common problem is leaking rocker cover gaskets. They leak and the oil drips onto the exhaust and stinks to high heaven. It's a cheap fix and once repaired they don't leak for god knows how long?

I've owned a few Subaru's over the years and never had head gasket problems. That said though, we do get different engines here as opposed to the states. For instance, my 2001 Legacy Blitzen has a 2 litre twin turbo motor but Us Legacy GT variants usually had a 2.5 motor.
I've also not had problems with oil consumption. As for oil leaks, the biggest and most common problem is leaking rocker cover gaskets. They leak and the oil drips onto the exhaust and stinks to high heaven. It's a cheap fix and once repaired they don't leak for god knows how long?

Pure speculation here but I was wondering if that's because of the emissions controls required in the US. Somebody with more car smarts than me would have to answer that though.

Pure speculation here but I was wondering if that's because of the emissions controls required in the US. Somebody with more car smarts than me would have to answer that though.
From what I recall, it was/is a 2.5l thing. My 2.2 outback didn't have issues (265,xxx miles) until I missed a downshift (into 2nd instead of into 4th).

To add to this the 2.5L motor(EJ25) was the worst for the oil consumption. mainly the EJ25, EJ251, and EJ257 from what i remember. Also the EJ22 was known to have the same problem as it was based on the same block casting. I know both of my Rs's I had consumption. Now that I'm in the WRX I can say I haven't had problem, as of yet, only had it for 3 months. Love this car and how smooth the power band it.

Not that this is scientific at all, but in my 11 days in England, I only noticed ONE Subaru. I see them all the time here!

99% of the time this is only on the ej205's/ej255's/ej257's though. WRX's/STi's/Legacy GT's/Forester XT's/Outback XT's. Turbo cars.

If ringlands are blowing on a 2.5l N/A, there's something else that is wrong. typically means something in the oil feed is messed up.

man this crappy weather up here (MI) needs to stop! I want to be able to get under my car and put the stock pile of parts I have amassed over the winter on the car. Cant wait! Grabbed a handful of bolt ons. Cobb, Intake, Crank pulley, Uppipe, Downpipes, V3 AccessPort, and then a Mishimoto larger Top Mount Intercooler, Koyo all aluminum Radiator, INvidia N1 Cat back, KW Coil overs, WhiteLine front and rear Sway bars, Perrin Swaybar billet end links, Meghan Racing Front strut bar, Stainless brake lines, Full audio set up, Kenwood Excelon HU, JBL speakers, Alpine 10", Alpine 5 channel, Stealth box, and the crown jewel, Volk TE37 17"x 8" wheels in bronze. Just need to find a set of rubber I like. Cant wait to be able to put everything on and be able to put the car through its paces.

99% of the time this is only on the ej205's/ej255's/ej257's though. WRX's/STi's/Legacy GT's/Forester XT's/Outback XT's. Turbo cars.

If ringlands are blowing on a 2.5l N/A, there's something else that is wrong. typically means something in the oil feed is messed up.
There's TSB's from 06-14? I can look up the exact years if you'd like and they're on normally aspirated vehicles.

In fact we just had a guy with a 13' outback with 40k on it come in and his already needed a new motor. Diagnosed by us and "confirmed" by the dealer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's TSB's from 06-14? I can look up the exact years if you'd like and they're on normally aspirated vehicles.

In fact we just had a guy with a 13' outback with 40k on it come in and his already needed a new motor. Diagnosed by us and "confirmed" by the dealer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wow a 13' needing a swap already? what was wrong? ring lands, heads, or something else?

Back