Would You Join A Resort Course?

There are a couple courses in Myrtle that I wouldn't even consider joining with the lunacy that goes on. The Sea Trail trio come to mind very quickly. Even if they blocked one for members each day, the crazy that goes on there is a bit exhausting.

Now, I know it's not pure resort, but I'd be willing to tolerate True Blue and the activity there in order to be a member. Not sure it's the same concept, but I think their practice facility is adequate enough to satiate my golfing needs if the course got too busy with public play.
Yeah you'd really have to be selective at a Myrtle Beach resort. FAR too many bachelor parties going on there for me to want to be a member. Now having said that, True Blue and Caledonia DO NOT fit into that bachelor party category in my opinion. I've never seen any shenanigans taking place at either of those courses.....other than the stuff we bring! But we're classy in how we get our shenanigans on!

I just wish there was a course near me that was about HALF as good as a resort course! ha

To answer your question. Right now, no I wouldn't due to cost and time that I have to play. Let's say 5 to 10 years from now? Sure, that would probably be in the cards.

only for access to a nicer practice facility. paying for "preferred" tee times seems silly.

Yeah that would work as well. I'm sure LaCosta does that, don't they?

They do.

Isn't PGA National this way, you can be a member there?

I don't want to say No but I'm having a harder time seeing the benefit of doing it. Maybe better facilities??? I guess I lean no - if I want to be a member of a club the first priority is access to the course and facilities, and that would be an issue at a resort facility.

Correct. In the end, you will almost always get more options in terms of facilities resort wise than club wise when comparing apples to apples. I think that is one of the reasons.

I'm actually debating that right now. Club at Savannah Harbor has a membership that is incredibly reasonable. There's some active involvement with membership (some tournaments, etc.). The other facilities (tennis courts, spa, lockers, fitness) are very nice, and you also get a low rate on the Westin resort that is there.

But, only about half of the current play on the course is from membership. Lots of resort play. Not sure if it would be worth doing that or not, regardless of the (relatively) cheap membership rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only for access to a nicer practice facility. paying for "preferred" tee times seems silly.

This is an interesting thought. I guess it would come down to what one wants in a club (obviously). If its nothing more than golf as a single or whenever one wants, then yeah I dont think a resort would work. Although most private clubs wouldnt either for that matter.

If it is about the amenities, the leagues, the groups, the games, etc. Then resort might make more sense.

Isn't PGA National this way, you can be a member there?

I don't want to say No but I'm having a harder time seeing the benefit of doing it. Maybe better facilities??? I guess I lean no - if I want to be a member of a club the first priority is access to the course and facilities, and that would be an issue at a resort facility.
it is, and I remember on Sunday AM being in the pro-shop buying a hat, and some women members were upset that they couldn't just walk right in and get out on the Championship course. You would think (unless they were new members) that they would have known that.

If it is about the amenities, the leagues, the groups, the games, etc. Then resort might make more sense.

I guess my view is tainted by all of the semi private clubs around here. guys pay to be members while I can book a round on golf now for less than the guest fee.

but you make a good point about amenities and leagues. neither interest me so I hadn't thought of that as a perk. someone looking for that could certainly find more value in such a membership.

I wouldn't say never, but it wouldn't be my first option. While I love many courses at resorts, I would be pretty depressed to be paying for a membership, then be stuck playing behind some slow jackwagons most of the time. Which is usually what happens when I play at resort courses.

If the situation was right, ie strict pace of play rules, or lots of blocked out tee times, I could consider it.

Good timing on this thread! I'm currently in talks to join La Costa, but I'm on the fence.

They DO offer one course per day for members only, plus some of the benefits of a real club (like members only dining room, parking, and locker rooms)

The dues aren't terrible for the under 40 crowd ($850/month after 40... woof) But what I don't understand is where my initiation fee goes. What is it used for, and why am I paying such a large chunk of change?

Until I have a clear answer of that, I'm swaying towards no.

it's funny you bring this up. Was playing the other night with a guy who lived and was a member at Reunion.
His name wasn't Christian King was it…?

As for me, I would join a resort course without even batting an eye.

His name wasn't Christian King was it…?

As for me, I would join a resort course without even batting an eye.

Are you joining the Club at Savannah Harbor?

I want to make sure I have all relevant information before making a decision...

Are you joining the Club at Savannah Harbor?

I want to make sure I have all relevant information before making a decision...

You haven't hired me yet.

Absolutely not in most cases however I would have some exceptions. The pace of play alone would be enough to keep me away. That said if they had a course reserved for only members or a large block of tee time first thing in the morning for only members I would consider it.

Reunion was one of my favorite resort courses (multiple) that I have played so that would be a target depending how they treat members in terms of pace of play.

I guess where I stand is treat me like a member and sure but treat me like a guaranteed source of revenue on top of the tourists and absolutely not.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah you'd really have to be selective at a Myrtle Beach resort. FAR too many bachelor parties going on there for me to want to be a member. Now having said that, True Blue and Caledonia DO NOT fit into that bachelor party category in my opinion. I've never seen any shenanigans taking place at either of those courses.....other than the stuff we bring! But we're classy in how we get our shenanigans on!

I think price dictates a lot of that. TB and Cale are pretty expensive to play, especially in comparison to a lot of the other courses around there. Bachelor parties, unless the groom-to-be has a thing for those courses, are probably going to make their deals elsewhere so the golf doesn't hammer them.

I've heard of certain resort courses that have multiple courses and one of them is always reserved for members each day. I would consider joining something like that. I was thinking about that while we were at La Costa for #TheKing. I don't know that I'd want to be a member of a place like that where every single day there are hundreds of tourists taking over my club. Close off 1 of those courses (alternate daily) each day and I'd consider it.

Exactly my sentiments. I'd definitely consider it, but part of me joining a "club" would be wanting to get easier access to tee times and not having to play 5 hour rounds.

It would depend on a cost/benefit analysis for me. How much am I paying? Do I get preferred tee times? How is the practice area?

If there are many restrictions for members to accomodate tourists then I would probably pass.

Depends on the restrictions, but I wouldn't see any reason not to, especially coming from pub links experiences!

Depends on the restrictions, but I wouldn't see any reason not to, especially coming from pub links experiences!

I will say, coming from a fully private course and going to a resort course setup is a bit of a culture shock.

Like a few have said, there's a definite benefit in having limited tee times and knowing that you'll get a four hour round in when you play.

Exactly my sentiments. I'd definitely consider it, but part of me joining a "club" would be wanting to get easier access to tee times and not having to play 5 hour rounds.

haha, you better pay a lot of money then. Even the initiation based courses can get bad with that unless there is a group of members working with the pro shop to police pace and tee time hoarding.

haha, you better pay a lot of money then. Even the initiation based courses can get bad with that unless there is a group of members working with the pro shop to police pace and tee time hoarding.

Agreed. I think that is a misnomer a lot of times. Only way around that is to go very high end with limited membership.
Club Corp for instance has more than half their courses allow fivesomes. How crazy is that?
Most clubs have leagues such as MGA, Ladies, etc that have blocks off already.

Agreed. I think that is a misnomer a lot of times. Only way around that is to go very high end with limited membership.
Club Corp for instance has more than half their courses allow fivesomes. How crazy is that?

I've been lucky where I am, both of our local private courses have been pretty good on pace of play, and getting a tee time hasn't been TOO much of a problem.

Yep, and this is why I haven't jumped-in on either of the two private courses I have looked into. Due to cost, all of my golfing would have to be there. Thus, fewer opportunities to play with friends, and golf trips/events would be out as well. Not worth it, at this time. Now, when I don't have a kiddo at home in 10 years or so? That could change the equation for me.

I would not join any club. But, if I were to, I'd want it to have 3+ courses. I don't want to play that same course all of the time and a membership would make me want to get my money's worth.

The fact that it being a resort allows for stay & play would not bother me. It all comes down to manners and etiquette anyway and members can be just as nice or rude as resort guests.

Back