Callaways driver shaft standards for the average golfer?

rdr570

Reaction score
Handicap
Are callaway standards for stiff driver shafts closer to regular flex? Is it because most average players stink and think they are better then they are? I’m not pro but I went to a pro to have my driver flex checked and he said it was closer to a regular shaft. Xr driver with standard stiff projectX 6.0 shaft that came with the club.

Are callaway standards for stiff driver shafts closer to regular flex? Is it because most average players stink and think they are better then they are? I’m not pro but I went to a pro to have my driver flex checked and he said it was closer to a regular shaft. Xr driver with standard stiff projectX 6.0 shaft that came with the club.

That's tough because there are no standard ratings for what is considered regular vs. stiff.

How did the pro check the stiffness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been golfing for 4 years and have always had callaway drivers. Until last year I always had stiff shafts but a buddy recommended regular so I gave it a shot and like it a lot more.

But if u go with your line of thinking it means I'm a 39 year old who swings in the mid to upper 90s and im now using a senior flex shaft.

Since there isn't really an industry standard I'd say your pro was mistaken.

That's tough because there are no standard ratings for what is considered regular vs. stiff.

This. There is no standard, so its always one persons way of measuring vs anothers.

This. There is no standard, so its always one persons way of measuring vs anothers.

Maybe not a standard but closer to a regular flex base on the frequency meter...

b0d214f892b907f9713750e5edf2d102.jpg

It’s playing around the 240 mark, I guess that would be on the lower side of stiff closer to regular flex...

Are those frequencies averages from across brands?

Are those frequencies averages from across brands?

That’s just a pic I pulled from google but he had a chart in his club fitting room. It was a little different but the numbers seem pretty comparable with his chart.

That’s just a pic I pulled from google but he had a chart in his club fitting room. It was a little different but the numbers seem pretty comparable with his chart.

The only reason I wonder is because there's a lot that goes into measuring frequencies vs shaft profiling. That chart just seems a little too simplistic to say what is an absolute regular vs. stiff vs. etc.. You can have the same brand of shaft, two different models, but same labeled stiffness, and they have different measured frequencies.

I know frequencies were wildly used for a long time, but it's an extremely simplistic overview of measuring "labeled" shaft stiffness for the entire industry.

Got you man, I guess there is a lot more that goes into it then I know. He probably just gave me a short answer to shut me up, I ask a lot of questions. Golf is a hard sport the way it is most people can use all the help they can get, I thought maybe they keep it lower on the chart because most golfers think they are better then they really are? Anyway the pro is my brother in law and he is certified in club fitting, so it’s not someone trying to push a sale on me.

the LZ that came stock in the standard XR is softer than an aftermarket LZ (that went into the XR Pro)

some would call that a "made-for" as it is made to Callaway's specification

although made-for has a negative connotation so they call it co-engineered

Got you man, I guess there is a lot more that goes into it then I know. He probably just gave me a short answer to shut me up, I ask a lot of questions. Golf is a hard sport the way it is most people can use all the help they can get, I thought maybe they keep it lower on the chart because most golfers think they are better then they really are? Anyway the pro is my brother in law and he is certified in club fitting, so it’s not someone trying to push a sale on me.

Always keep learning. One of the best things about the golf industry is that it's a never ending opportunity for knowledge (Unless your name is Bryson). This is a solid place for asking questions.

Back