Recommendations for Orlando Courses

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Going to be in Orlando this summer for 3 days on a work trip. Wanted to get a round of golf in. Any recommendations on courses? Any and all are welcome. TIA.

Grand Cypress was a ton of fun. All of them were great but I loved the New Course.

I 2nd Grand Cypress. Championsgate has 2 really diverse and challenging courses. Orange County National is a bit of a drive, but it has 2 great courses as well. I am sure that other that have played more of the courses will be making more recommendations later.

Grand CYpress is solid
ANd ID vote against Orange County as its one of the most over-rated places Ive ever played

Grand CYpress is solid
ANd ID vote against Orange County as its one of the most over-rated places Ive ever played

Uh oh. I'm playing Orange County National this weekend Saturday and Sunday. Will report back. I have time for a third round, so maybe Ill try to get on Grand Cypress.

Uh oh. I'm playing Orange County National this weekend Saturday and Sunday. Will report back. I have time for a third round, so maybe Ill try to get on Grand Cypress.

yeah man to me it was just kinda "blah". There are just so many solid options around that probably doesnt help the cause.

Grand CYpress is solid
I really enjoy one of the courses, and thought the other was a pretty good choice as well. I always forget which is which.

I would out them both above the North/South at Grand Cypress.

I played golf in Orlando for Colonial HS back in the very early 80's. Our home course was Rio Pinar CC which was fantastic during that time. They had a PGA tournament there in the 70's, and then later hosted the LPGA Lady Citrus Open. I have no idea if it's even open, or what kind of shape it's in now.

Sorry to hear Orange County National isn't receiving high marks; it was a real treat back in the day! The Disney courses were fun too.

I'm sure the more modern courses have a lot to offer over the old ones; Grand Cypress does look like a good option.

Grand CYpress is solid

not really heard that from anyone before. sorry you didn't have a great experience. panther is one of my favorite courses in orlando, and crooked is easy but still fun. i love those places, but different strokes.

there are lots of threads floating around thp for orlando courses. i've played most all of them, so if you have specific questions let me know.

championsgate international is fun, more so than national.
i love orange county national.
falcons fire is another good one, but usually crowded
grand cypress 9-holes are just ok to me, overpriced and kinda goofy. but the new course is fun.
i'm not a huge fan of celebration. good conditions, just not fair if you've never played it before.
i would avoid the disney courses.
i don't think waldorf or ritz are worth the money. great shape, but poor value.
bella collina is going to be a bit of a drive, but it's a lot of fun and usually in fantastic shape. pricey, but worth it to me.

tons of other courses, so let me know if you have your eye on one that i didn't mention.

Played last year, enjoyed both champions gate courses. Also played two of the Grand Cypress 9s, was not a fan. My favorite by far and worth the drive IMHO was Southern Dunes.

El Campeon at Mission Inn was a lot of fun. Think it was about 45 minutes from the Orlando airport so a bit more of a drive.

I agree with Wake, OCN is better IMO than the other Courses at Grand Cypress. But they were doing work on the greens on that one ( I think it was the one that tried to kill ddec) but i did not like most of that Course, loved the New Course.

I really enjoy one of the courses, and thought the other was a pretty good choice as well. I always forget which is which.

I would out them both above the North/South at Grand Cypress.

El Campeon at Mission Inn was a lot of fun. Think it was about 45 minutes from the Orlando airport so a bit more of a drive.
Fantastic course, I think it might be a but farther than that, and it is in the middle of no where, but very much worth the trip.
Played last year, enjoyed both champions gate courses. Also played two of the Grand Cypress 9s, was not a fan. My favorite by far and worth the drive IMHO was Southern Dunes.
Love Southern Dunes, some other fun courses around there that can make for a good day of 36.

I played golf in Orlando for Colonial HS back in the very early 80's. Our home course was Rio Pinar CC which was fantastic during that time. They had a PGA tournament there in the 70's, and then later hosted the LPGA Lady Citrus Open. I have no idea if it's even open, or what kind of shape it's in now.

Sorry to hear Orange County National isn't receiving high marks; it was a real treat back in the day! The Disney courses were fun too.

I'm sure the more modern courses have a lot to offer over the old ones; Grand Cypress does look like a good option.

Small world - I was at Rio Pinar two years ago for a tournament. Course has seen the expected wear and tear over many many years, but it still has a lot of character and was in good condition. Greens were really small if I remember correctly - tough challenge.

Falcons fire is another that I enjoyed

Small world - I was at Rio Pinar two years ago for a tournament. Course has seen the expected wear and tear over many many years, but it still has a lot of character and was in good condition. Greens were really small if I remember correctly - tough challenge.

Awesome to hear! Yes, small greens and tall pines made it a good challenge. The "Citrus" side was the one with the clubhouse and putting green; that 9 holes was the one we played in practice after school every day, and as we only had 9-hole matches in HS, it was where we played against the other high schools. Citrus was an awesome layout with some really demanding tee shots (especially that 5th hole). In one high school practice round, I made an eagle and 4 birdies on the Citrus 9, and shot a 43, including a 13 on the par-5 6th hole... lol

Back in the early 80's, there was a good sized gator on #9 too!

Circling back to this after playing Crooked Cat and Panther at OCN. I really enjoyed the weekend there and found each course to be in great shape. Crooked Cat was more challenging by a good margin. Panther was fun and had much wider fairways, which overall made the round more enjoyable since I was playing much better. I would not hesitate to play either course again. The facilities were great and the staff was professional.

Circling back to this after playing Crooked Cat and Panther at OCN. I really enjoyed the weekend there and found each course to be in great shape. Crooked Cat was more challenging by a good margin. Panther was fun and had much wider fairways, which overall made the round more enjoyable since I was playing much better. I would not hesitate to play either course again. The facilities were great and the staff was professional.

i ended up playing crooked this past sunday! it was windy as hell. generally, the locals consider panther to be the more difficult of the two. panther par 3s are longer, and there are some really tight driving holes. my only issue with the two courses is that the green tees are usually 6,400 and the oranges are usually just shy of 7,000. i would like to see a hybrid set of tees.

Hey Chris a bit off topic but I found a way to make this cold / coughing crap feel better, I filled the flask my son gave me with Bumbu and take a wee nip every now and then...much better.

And I like the like the one we played last time better, but either is a great test to me.

Hey Chris a bit off topic but I found a way to make this cold / coughing crap feel better, I filled the flask my son gave me with Bumbu and take a wee nip every now and then...much better.

And I like the like the one we played last time better, but either is a great test to me.

haha that sounds like a solid remedy. we need to get out and play again. maybe royal st cloud on a sunday if i can finagle another hall pass out of the wife.

i ended up playing crooked this past sunday! it was windy as hell. generally, the locals consider panther to be the more difficult of the two. panther par 3s are longer, and there are some really tight driving holes. my only issue with the two courses is that the green tees are usually 6,400 and the oranges are usually just shy of 7,000. i would like to see a hybrid set of tees.

Wow, I am surprised to hear that. I had a much tougher time on the CC course, but my buddy found Panther to be more difficult. And you are spot on with the tee placement. The orange tees are really long.

I'll be down in Orlando next week. Will play a couple of rounds, but I can't book them until I find out my daughter's tournament schedule

Heading to OCN in 2 weeks gonna try Crooked Cat for the first time. I hope they put me in a good group. Love golf but with with strangers its hit or miss.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Bit of a drive, but Mission Inn up in Howey In The Hills was really really fun. Although im biased because that's the only Florida course I have played, but man I really enjoyed both courses there.

Well I’m north of MCO by about :45min but there are great courses outside of town as well. Personally I love OCN. I only get to play it a few times a year but it’s always in great condition and the people are great. My last round there was in November, played 18 and got lunch for $49.

I have played Rio Pinar a couple of times too. A friend is a member there. Great tight course. Again small greens and was really fun to play. Would recommend for something different.

I personally play Redtail in Eustis FL (@:45min north/northwest) and Victoria Hills :)45N/NE). Redtail again is always in excellent shape. Professional curtious staff and challenging track. I’m sure it’s not empty during this high season but I bet it’s quieter than stuff closer to Disney etc.

Tomorrow I’m playing VIctoria Hills as it’s only 2 miles from my house. I bet I’ll be a single and be done in under 3 hours. Course is in good shape. Yes it’s not a champions gate or Falcons fire but it’s again not busy and great course. Also another suggestion would be Debary. Quite semi private club. Fun course and always fast greens.

Just some ideas if you want to get out of the city and into the country.

Back