Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I got 6-SW (7 clubs) in stock graphite and it cost $1225 before tax ($175/club). I had a $500 gift card and got $350 for trading in my old set so I didn't end up that much out of pocket, but if you upgrade shafts it can get spendy.

That seems high to me. But then again I haven't looked at the graphite options. Paying $375 out of pocket for a brand new set of these is awesome though

That seems high to me. But then again I haven't looked at the graphite options. Paying $375 out of pocket for a brand new set of these is awesome though

It's not high I don't believe. I think 8 clubs (4-AW or 5-SW in this case) would be $1300+ I believe for graphite.

Yeah, it was worth it for me and I love graphite but may look at steel with inserts next set after the discussion with DB.

A 4-AW set with stock steel is $1199 so $150/club so really only $25/club upgrade for graphite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The steel MAP is $150 per club on the apex, $25 for the graphite doesn't seem out of line.

Ya I guess I just haven't spent much time looking at graphite options. Seems pretty in line with normal upcharge

Ya I guess I just haven't spent much time looking at graphite options. Seems pretty in line with normal upcharge

It's a hard pill to swallow but all new clubs seem to be right in this price range

Is that yardage normal for you or a jump in the cf16s

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a jump for me!

I can't wait till Sunday. I love every chance I get to go play these irons

I can't wait till Sunday. I love every chance I get to go play these irons
Right there with you. I haven't looked forward to the weekends like this since....well I can't remember.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The steel MAP is $150 per club on the apex, $25 for the graphite doesn't seem out of line.

The key is to play your last set of irons for 20 years. Now I can justify the price by diving it by 20. This set of irons only costs $55/year :banana:

Not that much 899 for a 5-PW set with stock/no up charge shaft options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok that's not too bad. I was gonna say, I didn't think these were too crazy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

These gems are BACK IN THE BAG with the conclusion of my G review work and its honestly like coming home. The look, the sound (feel), the launch, the distance, and the badass PXi's! YES!

These gems are BACK IN THE BAG with the conclusion of my G review work and its honestly like coming home. The look, the sound (feel), the launch, the distance, and the badass PXi's! YES!
Tastes like home cookin doesnt it

I hit the original apex 6 iron today, 170 yards consistently with miss hits at 160. My current 6 iron is 160 or 165 if I pure it. Can't tell if it's the xp95 giving me more head speed or the club. It felt great though! I will be getting the cf16s With pxi's in a couple weeks!

You know what is awesome?

These effing irons.

You know what is more awesome?

These effing irons fit to my freaking needs with insanely good for me PXi's in them thanks to #TheGrandaddy, Callaway, and THP.

Seriously though, its like coming home. Broken record sounding or not, I don't care, because its true. More than that though, I am AMAZED at the flight I get with the PXi 6.5's in them. Had my monitor out today to check out a few other things (reviews and tinkers) and grabbed the 8i, 34y peak height with 169 yard carry....silly, seriously just silly. Proceeded to work through the set from there and what was supposed to be a 20 minute stop by the range and hit a few woods session turned into an hour and a half. I legitimately hit a high ball with these and it glorious. More than that, the spin is low enough for my steep nature (its getting better with lessons) and the descent leaves no issues throwing shots at targets. Heel side doesn't mean death, toe side is better than the OG Apex which is silly, and low on the face I have seen LITERALLY only one other set on the market that compares.

Call it gushing, call it whatever the heck you want, these are silly good irons. Silly good.

These effing irons.

These effing irons fit to my freaking needs with insanely good for me PXi's in them thanks to #TheGrandaddy, Callaway, and THP.

Seriously though, its like coming home. Broken record sounding or not, I don't care, because its true. More than that though, I am AMAZED at the flight I get with the PXi 6.5's in them. Had my monitor out today to check out a few other things (reviews and tinkers) and grabbed the 8i, 34y peak height with 169 yard carry....silly, seriously just silly. Proceeded to work through the set from there and what was supposed to be a 20 minute stop by the range and hit a few woods session turned into an hour and a half. I legitimately hit a high ball with these and it glorious. More than that, the spin is low enough for my steep nature (its getting better with lessons) and the descent leaves no issues throwing shots at targets. Heel side doesn't mean death, toe side is better than the OG Apex which is silly, and low on the face I have seen LITERALLY only one other set on the market that compares.

Call it gushing, call it whatever the heck you want, these are silly good irons. Silly good.
With my results today, can't imagine what the cup face will do for me. I think I am going to have to drop my 4 and 3 hybrids and bring back the 4 iron. Really excited for this year, it's been 5 or so years since I had new irons.

These effing irons.

It seriously can't be said enough!

With my results today, can't imagine what the cup face will do for me. I think I am going to have to drop my 4 and 3 hybrids and bring back the 4 iron. Really excited for this year, it's been 5 or so years since I had new irons.

Good luck dude. Cup face or not, you couldn't pay me to go back to a long iron with what hybrids offer today. I consider myself a pretty good ballstriker with irons, but I am supremely happy that I dropped the 4i AND the 5i.

I'm still able to smash the apex 4i 220 but that apex 3 hybrid is the real deal when it comes to hybrids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I've had these irons for roughly 4 weeks now. First off, I love 'em. Primarily the look is very appealing to me, feel is very good imo and I have decent control on moving the ball with them without issue.

However, one thing was an issue. I ordered them 1/2" long, standard loft and 2* upright, KBS Tour-V110's. The clubs I received were a mishmash or incorrect lie and loft angles from Callaway (only the 7i was spot on correct on everything). I was curious why my 4-5-6 irons had about a 10-15 yard gap between them, turns out there was about a 3.5-4.0* difference in loft between my 4 to my 6. Most everything was just off by 1.0-1.5* so my guy quickly bent them to spec (a guy I trust who uses a quality machine). The small difference in lie angle on a few clubs may not have made a huge difference since I'm not perfect and can't tell you if it was the lie angle or me, but I feel a lot more confident over them knowing for sure they're perfectly to spec. The big change was now I have a proper gapping between my 4, 5 and 6 irons. Now, I should have done this right when I got them probably, so mea culpa on that. I'll have 'em rechecked midseason and at the end of the season. Still, A+ on the clubs Callaway, just a bit more help needed on the QC coming out of El Mexico.

So I've had these irons for roughly 4 weeks now. First off, I love 'em. Primarily the look is very appealing to me, feel is very good imo and I have decent control on moving the ball with them without issue.

However, one thing was an issue. I ordered them 1/2" long, standard loft and 2* upright, KBS Tour-V110's. The clubs I received were a mishmash or incorrect lie and loft angles from Callaway (only the 7i was spot on correct on everything). I was curious why my 4-5-6 irons had about a 10-15 yard gap between them, turns out there was about a 3.5-4.0* difference in loft between my 4 to my 6. Most everything was just off by 1.0-1.5* so my guy quickly bent them to spec (a guy I trust who uses a quality machine). The small difference in lie angle on a few clubs may not have made a huge difference since I'm not perfect and can't tell you if it was the lie angle or me, but I feel a lot more confident over them knowing for sure they're perfectly to spec. The big change was now I have a proper gapping between my 4, 5 and 6 irons. Now, I should have done this right when I got them probably, so mea culpa on that. I'll have 'em rechecked midseason and at the end of the season. Still, A+ on the clubs Callaway, just a bit more help needed on the QC coming out of El Mexico.

Welcome to THP!

I get to put these irons in play tomorrow and that makes me giddy

Thx, been a lurker forever!

Good luck dude. Cup face or not, you couldn't pay me to go back to a long iron with what hybrids offer today. I consider myself a pretty good ballstriker with irons, but I am supremely happy that I dropped the 4i AND the 5i.
I've always been a hybrid user but I am going to have to take a hard look at the 4 iron when I get the set.

Back