The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this weird?

Guy next to me is a bigger gentlemen and sleeping on the plane. He has his seat belt on and has his wrist inside the seat belt.

And every minute or two he tightens the thing. I find it very bizarre.

4d119fe24f661855d47f329a6dffe813.jpg

I know Dallas has a bondage expo outside Cookies office. Maybe he's headed there.

Im curious to hear how the flight went with Mr. Bizzaro.

I get why parents hold their kids back, whether for sports or because their kid "might" have to try a bit harder to keep up with the slightly older kids. And I do think there is a place for transitional kindergarten for those that are really really struggling socially or just not getting it early on. But now it's just automatic and a given that you should hold your kid back and they gasp and question you if you question it.

Our daughter is a early May birthday and they are doing it now to us. She speaks and communicates better than 3/4 of her class. She is social. She knows her letters and numbers. But yet they are asking us to consider it with her. Is it because they need to fill those classes? Is it because they have too many going into kinder already? Who knows, just think it's funny.

I agree dude, it's been years since my girls were in that boat as they're now a sophomore and a 7th grader respectively, but it was happening more and more back then too.

I'm not a professional educator so maybe someone who is can chime in, but maybe it's because there are so many kids that seem to start before they're ready because as parents we think our kids are the smartest and cutest, even if that's definitely not the case. So to leave the decision solely up to the parents might not be so cut and dried. I know that seeing other 5 year old kids who just simply aren't ready and still in that environment is tough. And it has to make teaching the other kids tough at times, especially if there are multiple kids in a class that really may or may not be ready for it.

Im curious to hear how the flight went with Mr. Bizzaro.

Other than him sneezing on the back of my neck enough to where I needed a paper towel to dry off, it was okay....but strange.

Other than him sneezing on the back of my neck enough to where I needed a paper towel to dry off, it was okay....but strange.
thats disgusting.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Tell me about it. Now I'm at hotel waiting for my room to be ready so I can shower before meeting.

Since there is no post with a Gofundme to get you out of jail, you are a better man than most. I think that would have been enough to warrant a beat down. Is there a decontamination unit around where you can get de-funked?

I agree dude, it's been years since my girls were in that boat as they're now a sophomore and a 7th grader respectively, but it was happening more and more back then too.

I'm not a professional educator so maybe someone who is can chime in, but maybe it's because there are so many kids that seem to start before they're ready because as parents we think our kids are the smartest and cutest, even if that's definitely not the case. So to leave the decision solely up to the parents might not be so cut and dried. I know that seeing other 5 year old kids who just simply aren't ready and still in that environment is tough. And it has to make teaching the other kids tough at times, especially if there are multiple kids in a class that really may or may not be ready for it.

That's going to happen in every grade through 12th though. You are going to have the kids that cut up, don't try, were great in grade school but then lost their way in middle school, are bored, are tired, etc. There will always be distractions. But for me to consider holding her back because she has a May birthday but is getting and learning everything that the others do is kind of crazy for me. I know other parents wouldn't think twice about it and hold 'em back esp. if the school was giving them the opening. Just seems wrong in our case.

This does not suck

c6729d44e408b6125f78834b1c13a88a.jpg

I get why parents hold their kids back, whether for sports or because their kid "might" have to try a bit harder to keep up with the slightly older kids. And I do think there is a place for transitional kindergarten for those that are really really struggling socially or just not getting it early on. But now it's just automatic and a given that you should hold your kid back and they gasp and question you if you question it.

Our daughter is a early May birthday and they are doing it now to us. She speaks and communicates better than 3/4 of her class. She is social. She knows her letters and numbers. But yet they are asking us to consider it with her. Is it because they need to fill those classes? Is it because they have too many going into kinder already? Who knows, just think it's funny.

Our daughter is late June and there is no way they would let her start a year ahead even though she might be ready, she is required to wait until the following year. My wife has a July birthday and she was always the youngest in her class and she seems to have turned out just fine. I think part of it in Minnesota is there is a huge push for an all day preschool in every public school right now and I think they want to show kids would be more well prepared with the extra year.

Our daughter is late June and there is no way they would let her start a year ahead even though she might be ready, she is required to wait until the following year. My wife has a July birthday and she was always the youngest in her class and she seems to have turned out just fine. I think part of it in Minnesota is there is a huge push for an all day preschool in every public school right now and I think they want to show kids would be more well prepared with the extra year.

My wife was a July too and was the youngest and still made honors. She is dead against holding her back.

I'm holding my son back until least 10 to go to kindergarten. That way when he gets to high school he'll be 6'5" and bench 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm holding my son back until least 10 to go to kindergarten. That way when he gets to high school he'll be 6'5" and bench 350.

Plus chicks like the guy that can buy alcohol as a freshman and has an AARP card

Plus chicks like the guy that can buy alcohol as a freshman and has an AARP card

You know it!

My wife was a July too and was the youngest and still made honors. She is dead against holding her back.

I'm redeveloping a course on contemporary issues in education and I think you just gave me an idea for another topic to cover. So thanks ha

That's going to happen in every grade through 12th though. You are going to have the kids that cut up, don't try, were great in grade school but then lost their way in middle school, are bored, are tired, etc. There will always be distractions. But for me to consider holding her back because she has a May birthday but is getting and learning everything that the others do is kind of crazy for me. I know other parents wouldn't think twice about it and hold 'em back esp. if the school was giving them the opening. Just seems wrong in our case.
Very good point. That exact argument could be made for the kid who really was ready, but was held back, only to get bored with stuff he's already doing when he does finally start school.

If she is ready, no reason to hold her back IMO. If she is a Webb she is probably pretty smart, getting that from your wife, not you obviously.

USPS. An order shipped on Monday from Virginia and was supposed to be delivered today. Just checked tracking info and it says the package is delayed in Guam. Huh?

I heard those big Texas school districts do this.

My daughter has gotten big in to music, so I started looking for an ipod touch for her. Those things are still stupid expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back