What really grinds your gears

Public golf courses that have a GPS system on the cart that's constantly giving audible reminders for you to keep up/you're behind pace when there is no ranger on the course enforcing slow play. It took us 4:50 to play yesterday as a twosome. That and the fact that we had to listen to ads that we could not disable will make it the last time I ever play that course. We walked the back nine which was much more peaceful but there were 300+ yard walks between a couple of the holes. I told the guys in the pro shop that it was a real turn off to listen to advertising from the GPS system with no option to turn it off and they agreed. The whole experience reminded me of how lucky I am to play at a private course where a 3:40 round during peak weekend times is normal and a 4:05 round is about as slow as they get. I play a lot in the evenings and those rounds average about 2:40.

Our cart yesterday was telling us to stay on the cart path while we were on the cart path. We finished up at about 4:10 which wasn't that bad for that course and given that we had to wait on our shots.

Our cart yesterday was telling us to stay on the cart path while we were on the cart path. We finished up at about 4:10 which wasn't that bad for that course and given that we had to wait on our shots.

We had a similar situation this past weekend. Riding down the cart path and our cart shuts off because it thought we were off the path. Pretty frustrating between that and it telling us we were off pace when we were waiting every hole. Weird stuff. Tech can be good and bad at the same time.

I'll bring up another thing. We played a very nice course last Saturday as a threesome. We had a couple foresomes in front of us that was a bit slow and a single behind us. On one early Par 4 we had all driven our balls and were waiting for the group in front of us to clear the green when I heard a ball land loudly and my two buddies yell, "what the H...E... double hockey sticks! (not an exact quote)" The guy hit into them and it landed really close to them. This was off an elevated tee too, so if one of them got hit it could have been very bad. They were in the middle of the fairway while I was off the fairway left so it wasn't like they weren't in plain view from the teebox. The guy came up to us and said he didn't think he could reach us which was total BS. None of us are Dustin Johnson, we hit decent tee shots with decent distance so you would think that when playing our tee shot it should be reachable to an average golfer. I watched him hit a couple of drives later on and he hit pretty long, a bit longer than we do I would expect. He disappeared later on. A couple of holes later the Ranger showed up and said the two groups in front of us were a bit slow and they were tying to speed them up. Well, that never happened but none of my group felt hitting into them would speed things up.

We had a similar situation this past weekend. Riding down the cart path and our cart shuts off because it thought we were off the path. Pretty frustrating between that and it telling us we were off pace when we were waiting every hole. Weird stuff. Tech can be good and bad at the same time.

Yeah, on Saturday we had a cart that was almost self driving. The course we played had some steep hills to negotiate and every now and then a speed limiter message would come and slow the cart down. At one point I got in an area I wasn't supposed to be in and the cart shut down. I was able to engage reverse and back out. All in all I think their system worked out, we went down some steep hills during play and the GPS tracking seemed to be very accurate.

I do not like the "No chasing your errant drive" auto shut off carts. It's like they are punishing me for being bad.

Constant complaining, I do not want to hear why every shot was bad or what you should have done, its too cold or hot. We are not pro golfers deal with it and move on.

People hitting up into me or driving up to my tee box as i'm getting ready.. Keep your space. I usually flub one when someone is watching (except at THP events) so if you come near me, i'm likely to throw my club at you...

This one is small, and silly, but still drives me crazy.

When people say "Best Ball" when they actually mean "Scramble".

Not much sets me off, but for some reason, blading a chip shot just pisses me off. That's really the only thing I can think of that legitimately bothers me. I'm a pretty laid back guy

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

There are a few things that really get my goat, and most of them do not have to do with other golfers.

2. Groups teeing off every 8 minutes. I'm a firm believer that this is the biggest reason for slow play. Even a foursome of scratch golfers are going to have a hard time playing a hole in 8 minutes. More than anything, this is what gets courses backed up.

Just a comment on this. They don't expect a group to finish a hole in 8 minutes. All that is expected is that you will have played your second shot and moved out of driver range within 8 minutes, and that is easy to do. On the first hole of my home course, the group ahead is usually on the green putting before the next group tees off, and they only do 9 minute intervals.

What really bogs a course down is the hole where someone feels compelled to wait for the green to clear, or.... at 8 minute intervals or less, even a 2 minute ball search can start a chain reaction log jam.

The real problem with 8 minute tee times is that it doesn't make any allowance for anything but perfect play.

As far as personal gripes, I don't have many. Probably my biggest is when I'm stuck following that horribly slow group that isn't slow for the semi-legitimate reasons of ball search or poor play, but because they are absolutely and obviously clueless to the fact that there is anyone but them on the golf course. They piddle around doing this and that, wasting an inordinate amount of time on crap that has nothing to do with playing golf, and either don't see or don't care that you are waiting on them for every shot.

By this I mean the guy who parks his bag on the wrong side of the green, then when he finally finishes putting and they are ready to leave the green he strolls over to his bag and then starts digging around in the pockets looking for who knows what. I mean what do you need from your bag that will help you get to the next tee? A compass? Sextant? Then when he's finally found what he's after, he casually strolls across in FRONT of the green so there is no way you can consider hitting like you could if he went around the back and away from the green by 20 feet or so. In one thoughtless act he just added 2-3 minutes to my round - he does this sort of thing 20 times a round, and his buddies are no better.

That's the sort of crap that can get me steaming.

Skibum and I had the pleasure of following 3 slow golfers yesterday who were carting during CPO and didn't have a clue what they were doing.
There was a lot of head shaking going on between us lol.

Back