M2 Hybrid first impressions.

garethw

Reaction score
Handicap
I posted a few days ago about having a spare slot in the bag, and a gap between my 3 wood and 4 hybrid plus a struggle to get out of bunkers. I was contemplating a 3 hybrid or a Cleveland smart sole S wedge to fill that spare slot. Instead I booked a bunker lesson to try and cure my mental and swing issues using my current wedges, and brought a M2 3 Hybrid.

Yesterday I had a double lesson booked, first hour was in the sand, then what I really wanted to do was use Trackman and get some averages with my irons which at the moment appear to be getting longer than I am use to. This turned into a swing change which to be honest was not what I wanted as I am quite happy at the moment with my irons. I then pulled the hybrid and had one of those nightmare ball hitting sessions where nothing works, so called it quits and went home. My wife had a lesson booked for the afternoon (with a new coach), so I went along and experimented with different ball positions and estimated I had around a 190 carry off the deck with it so was quite happy.

The ball gets up nice and easy and just flies off the face, and mishits are not that penalised. It is a far more muted sound than the Aeroburner and also the X2 Hots I use to have. The face has 3 white lines in the centre and sits relatively square. I am not sure how to describe the feel off the face but I know when good contact has been made. The Speed Slot is wider than the Aeroburner, and more rounded on the edges. The course this morning was reasonably hard packed and tight lies on the fairways, once rainy season comes and things soften up I'll be able to see how much dirt will collect in it. The black head and black face with no alignment mark to me look good.

First round this morning I pulled it 3 times. First swing was a complete disaster and sent it worm burning down the fairway. Shot two was a nice gentle high draw which caught a bad bounce just on the edge of the green and ended up in the sand, Game golf measured this as 218 yards. Third shot carried 190. I need a few more rounds with this, and some practice with it tee'd up to see what happens directionally and distance wise. If I get an average of around 200 ish yards and am consistent in strike, direction and distance I think it may replace the 3 wood. Which then puts me back to square one and possibly put the mini driver back in or just play 13 clubs.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Will be interested in your feedback. I took some swings with this the other day and liked some of what I saw, but want to spend more time with it

Love hearing about this club, thanks! If you don't mind, what was the shaft like??

Love hearing about this club, thanks! If you don't mind, what was the shaft like??

The only shaft available as stock at the moment is the Asian spec TM Reax 65 made by Mitsubishi Rayon I have it in regular flex. The shops where I am all said another month or maybe more until they could get Global spec clubs in stock. I was a little dubious as they tend to play slightly softer than the ones you'll see in the US, however it feels ok to me. I have a Global spec or the same as the Western worlds spec shaft in my Aeroburner 4H and to be honest there is not much difference in feel. I do not feel like it is to soft or whippy.

I appreciate your input!!

Really look forward to your thoughts. Some good initial thoughts there. M2 line in general, including the hybrid has really caught my attention this year.

Keep it up!

Fwiw, and only my 2 cents... I hit this like crazy off the mat when i was at my buddy's shop. Hit some rockets... like 215y on the 3h (19 deg) which is a ton for me... Took it out on the real golf course and i struggled mightily with it. Could've just needed some more time to get used to it, but i just couldn't get the hang of it. Honestly kept it in the bag the whole rest of the weekend and used JB's Apex he loaned me instead. Turf interaction worked much better for me.

Fwiw, and only my 2 cents... I hit this like crazy off the mat when i was at my buddy's shop. Hit some rockets... like 215y on the 3h (19 deg) which is a ton for me... Took it out on the real golf course and i struggled mightily with it. Could've just needed some more time to get used to it, but i just couldn't get the hang of it. Honestly kept it in the bag the whole rest of the weekend and used JB's Apex he loaned me instead. Turf interaction worked much better for me.

Yes I totally agree with the highlighted quote. Off mats, good fairway lies and also a small tee, this thing just flies, it gets the ball up easy and gives me a straight to a small draw flight. I now have several rounds with it and this morning due to a severe case of slicing my driver off the tee, I used this on 6 out of 9 holes to tee off with and didn't miss a fairway with it. Gapping wise it is sitting nicely in between my 3 wood and 4 hybrid exactly where I want it. Off the fairway I am seeing again a straight or slight draw, and as a consistent distance as I can expect.

Where it doesn't appear to be as versatile as my Aeroburner 4H is from the first cut of rough if the ball is sitting down. I can still get it out but it is a lot lower ball flight, my 4H I can get the ball up a lot easier. On par 5's (dependent on the lie) it is now my club for the second shot, which in this mornings round left me with wedges into the green. To my ears the sound is definitely more muted and less tinny sounding than previous hybrids I have used. The forgiveness is good out of the toe but not so good heel side. Centre of the club face just feels good.

Back