2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey blu, what belt do you use for deadlifts? Read today that a 4" belt isn't ideal so considering options, like a 2" belt or lifting beltless for deads.

Hey blu, what belt do you use for deadlifts? Read today that a 4" belt isn't ideal so considering options, like a 2" belt or lifting beltless for deads.
Do not deadlift beltless.

I used to use this one:

http://spud-inc-straps.com/Deadlift-Belt-SPUD77/

3" 2-ply Velcro. It's a much meatier belt than it appears. They are not USPL or IPF approved. But so what.

I have lost a few pounds and my Spud Belt doesn't fit quite right. I've been making my squat belt work.

squats

squats

Oof. Squatted 445x2 last night with the Y trainer guy spotting and making sure I got to parallel. Was just one of those nights where I felt like no weight was too heavy. Granted I fell down the stairs this morning, but it sure was worth it.

So the goal was 1200 lbs between dead/squat/bench. Got 445 squat, 455 dead and 305 bench. Now to hit 315 bench and work more on shoulder press.

Oof. Squatted 445x2 last night with the Y trainer guy spotting and making sure I got to parallel. Was just one of those nights where I felt like no weight was too heavy. Granted I fell down the stairs this morning, but it sure was worth it.

So the goal was 1200 lbs between dead/squat/bench. Got 445 squat, 455 dead and 305 bench. Now to hit 315 bench and work more on shoulder press.
I'm by no means an expert, but is it normal for your squat weight and your deadlift weight to be so close? With the deadlift being more efficient, shouldn't you be able to boost that number up higher? Either way, that's a ton of poundage being lifted, so great job.

weights

weights

I'm a relative newbie to deadlift but have squatted for years and just plain like squatting. I need to learn to like a different grip or straps or something for deadlift as I am at the top of being able to use a regular grip.

I'm a relative newbie to deadlift but have squatted for years and just plain like squatting. I need to learn to like a different grip or straps or something for deadlift as I am at the top of being able to use a regular grip.
Are you double overhand gripping your deads?

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert, but is it normal for your squat weight and your deadlift weight to be so close? With the deadlift being more efficient, shouldn't you be able to boost that number up higher? Either way, that's a ton of poundage being lifted, so great job.

This is just my understanding, being around very strong people and observing in the world of powerlifting. At a certain point, the squat may get high than the deadlift. Mainly because grip strength is the limiting factor for a deadlift. A lot of higher totaling lifters will have squats higher than their deads. If I am being frank, at sub 500lb levels, I would expect most to be deadlift more than squat.

I had one of those unmotivated days at the gym(probably because it was leg day) but I powered through. Did 5x5

Back squats @ 225

Calf raises, RDL, front squats, Landmine OB twist, Hanging Hollow Holds, Hanging knee raises, and elbow tap planks.

Then I got to come home and shovel my 40 yard long driveway. A beer is much deserved tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night was good. More PRs

Squats:
375x5
335x3
315x5

Bench
290x3x3

Power cleans
185x2

So I'm kind of contemplating what's next. Currently squat 445, dead 455, bench 305. Want to bench 315 for sure. I am 6' 277 lbs. Actually gained some weight from when I started lifting heavy in fall. Would like to be 250ish. For reference when I was 18 I was 6' 227 football player. That was 26 years ago. I should add that no one who looks at me would say I am fat. But I do carry a bit of a spare tire around the gut.

So I'm kind of contemplating what's next. Currently squat 445, dead 455, bench 305. Want to bench 315 for sure. I am 6' 277 lbs. Actually gained some weight from when I started lifting heavy in fall. Would like to be 250ish. For reference when I was 18 I was 6' 227 football player. That was 26 years ago. I should add that no one who looks at me would say I am fat. But I do carry a bit of a spare tire around the gut.
You're in your 40s?!

Jeez man. Just keep on keeping on. If nothing else, just nail your nutrition and you should be golden.

Last edited:
I will be 44 in 4 weeks.

bench

bench

1 mile elliptical warm up then benched. Warmed up light and did 225x5, 245x3, 275x2, 295x1 310x1 225x5 225x5 225x5. Did some dumbbell shoulder presses and some tricep pull downs.

Dude you're lifting some heavy ass weights for 44 haha not saying you're old but damn most guys arent thinking about those numbers. Id say just keep doing your thing and enjoy. Well done

pretty impressive numbers on the bench!

going for 300 on squat today and 170 bench. working out over lunch hour, time is getting slightly more constrained as weights get heavier and rest times get slightly longer too. I think i'll try and switch it up to 3x5 to try and save a few minutes and still hopefully get an effective workout in.

pretty impressive numbers on the bench!

going for 300 on squat today and 170 bench. working out over lunch hour, time is getting slightly more constrained as weights get heavier and rest times get slightly longer too. I think i'll try and switch it up to 3x5 to try and save a few minutes and still hopefully get an effective workout in.
In my opinion, where your abilities are, 3x5 will be plenty effective and will facilitate longer progression.

In my opinion, where your abilities are, 3x5 will be plenty effective and will facilitate longer progression.

3x5 went perfect today and it fit under the time constraint just fine. I'll continue on with that, and like you said, i'll be able to get the weights up higher than stalling out on the last 2 sets of a 5x5.

During my squat reps i did have another guy at the gym come up to me and say that i'm lifting too heavy because i'm leaned forward, and i should keep my feet inside shoulder width with toes pointed forward. He knows this because his son was olympic lift training for a number of years and got his squat numbers to over 300 pounds. :bulgy-eyes:

3x5 went perfect today and it fit under the time constraint just fine. I'll continue on with that, and like you said, i'll be able to get the weights up higher than stalling out on the last 2 sets of a 5x5.

During my squat reps i did have another guy at the gym come up to me and say that i'm lifting too heavy because i'm leaned forward, and i should keep my feet inside shoulder width with toes pointed forward. He knows this because his son was olympic lift training for a number of years and got his squat numbers to over 300 pounds. :bulgy-eyes:

How most people should answer, "I will keep that mind, this is just the way I was taught." And move on.

How I would answer that (because I am that guy apparently), "Well, I have to lean over. I need to keep the bar balanced over my feet, which means my shoulders will be forward. I counter this position by letting my knees go forward and hips back. That way I can create multiple moment arms to support the downward force supplied by the bar. The knees forward position allows for my hips to do most of the work on the ascent out of the bottom, involving more muscle mass and allowing me to squat more weight while saving me knees from the punishment. Because my hips go back and travel below my knees, that will allow a stretch reflex in my hamstrings to occur and help drive the bar straight up along that balance point. All of the positions I assume when squatting are designed to keep the bar balanced over my feet, use the most muscle mass, over the greatest effective range of motion, to move the most weight. Olympic style lifters should train with a low bar squat because the bottom of a snatch assumes a very similar position to the squat model I am using."

But then again, I am the reason people don't go to the gym, apparently

2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Had a good workout tonight. Did back tonight and back to 5-1 this week.

Deadlifts 335-375 lbs

BB Rows, Lat Pull downs, DB Rows(75-100 lbs), Reverse Flys, Landmine OB Twist, Hanging Knee raises, Hanging Hollow holds, and elbow tap planks.

Had a good workout tonight. Did back tonight and back to 5-1 this week.

Deadlifts 335-375 lbs

BB Rows, Lat Pull downs, DB Rows(75-100 lbs), Reverse Flys, Landmine OB Twist, Hanging Knee raises, Hanging Hollow holds, and elbow tap planks.

Wait...

...100lb dumbbell rows?

How most people should answer, "I will keep that mind, this is just the way I was taught." And move on.

How I would answer that (because I am that guy apparently), "Well, I have to lean over. I need to keep the bar balanced over my feet, which means my shoulders will be forward. I counter this position by letting my knees go forward and hips back. That way I can create multiple moment arms to support the downward force supplied by the bar. The knees forward position allows for my hips to do most of the work on the ascent out of the bottom, involving more muscle mass and allowing me to squat more weight while saving me knees from the punishment. Because my hips go back and travel below my knees, that will allow a stretch reflex in my hamstrings to occur and help drive the bar straight up along that balance point. All of the positions I assume when squatting are designed to keep the bar balanced over my feet, use the most muscle mass, over the greatest effective range of motion, to move the most weight. Olympic style lifters should train with a low bar squat because the bottom of a snatch assumes a very similar position to the squat model I am using."

But then again, I am the reason people don't go to the gym, apparently
Lol yours was nicer than what I came up with. "How about you shut your stupid face" oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back