Should I keep Loft/Lie bending machine?

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Good morning THPers.

So when my wife was in labor I was on my iPad looking at golf stuff waiting for the baby to arrive. I read the article where Phil talked about adjusting each club's lie differently and of course being the total golf geek I am, I started searching for Loft/Lie bending machines. I ended up ordering the Golfsmith Ultimate Loft/Lie Bending Machine with a 20% off coupon. I know that my Apex Pro Irons lies are now off (originally 2 up) based on dynamic lie tests I've performed as the line transferred from the ball to the club is no longer at 90 deg to the sole of the club.

I love to tinker, re-shaft, re-grip and try new things with my clubs. The only thing I have not gotten into is Loft/lie adjustment. So my question to you club builders / Tinkerers out there, should I keep the bending machine or return it?

Return it.
Im a practical person that has one of these devices.
The cost never gets recovered unless you are changing irons 5-6 times a year and no you need them bent.

Do you know anyone that can do it for you instead? I'd just take it to them and save the $

You guys pretty much helped me make up my mind. It sounded like a good idea when my wife was in labor but now that I've been waiting for it to arrive, I've had second thoughts. It will go back to golfsmith.

You guys pretty much helped me make up my mind. It sounded like a good idea when my wife was in labor but now that I've been waiting for it to arrive, I've had second thoughts. It will go back to golfsmith.

THink about this for a second.
That is a THP Event + Airfare and that could mean a new set of gear, winning a trip of a lifetime, etc. :D

That is a THP Event + Airfare and that could mean a new set of gear, winning a trip of a lifetime, etc. :D

That's the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or you could see if another THP'r would like to purchase it from you at same cost

Return it.
Im a practical person that has one of these devices.
The cost never gets recovered unless you are changing irons 5-6 times a year and no you need them bent.

I agree. Return it or take a basic club building class first. Know anything about metal memory? If not, send it back.

Ha I was gonna say there isn't a single day that goes by I don't regret not keeping my loft/lie machine but seeing the replies so far I'm just gonna keep that thought to myself.

Last edited:
Ha I was gonna say there isn't a single day that goes by I don't regret keeping my loft/lie machine but seeing the replies so far I'm just gonna keep that thought to myself.

I think the question for you would be how often do you use the machine and how often are your irons off? Loft/Lie machines are in the $400+ range depending on how high end you want to go. Why do you prefer having your own instead of taking it to a local club fitter; aside from turnaround time.

I have often thought about picking one up because I also love to tinker. Then I look at the cost of the machine compared to the $3.00 per club I can pay to have them bent. Not sure that I would recover the cost of the machine in savings over my lifetime so I have always resisted temptation.

It's going back. I bought new clubs instead. I just need to get on the course in nice weather so I stop buying crap I don't need.

Great point! Now which one to choose .....?

I think the question for you would be how often do you use the machine and how often are your irons off? Loft/Lie machines are in the $400+ range depending on how high end you want to go. Why do you prefer having your own instead of taking it to a local club fitter; aside from turnaround time.
He used to build clubs and enjoys it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For me it's peace of mind. I'm an obsessive tinkerer and I used to be a clubfitter/repair guy at a shop years ago so I feel confident in my work especially after having some sub par work done on my clubs and tennis racquets over the years. There was one guy who is a LA club fitting/repair celebrity who worked at my local golf shop and I trusted him completely and we established a friendship with but he moved on to another shop. Were he still there I wouldn't think twice about taking my clubs to him to work on. To give you and idea about my deep seated issues I also keep at my home a racquet stringing machine and Racquet Tuning Center which very few tennis shops carry to make sure my racquets are identically weighted and strung. I told my wife they'll pay for themselves but I can be honest with you fellas. They never will. And a loft/lie machine wouldn't either but I'd love to have my old one back!

As far as how often the lofts and lies go off that's a good question. It may be they're fine but I can't help but get the feeling that beating forged clubs off of mats resting on concrete will eventually throw the settings off. If I could find a grass range there wouldn't be that little voice in the back of my head telling me my loft/lies are off. Or at least I'd hear from him less often.

It's going back. I bought new clubs instead. I just need to get on the course in nice weather so I stop buying crap I don't need.

Lol! Even your signature is overflowing with clubs, you have 15 listed. :act-up:

He used to build clubs and enjoys it.

Or I could have just said that. Unfortunately I enjoy overly wordy, long winded posting.

Or I could have just said that. Unfortunately I enjoy overly wordy, long winded posting.
Also I need a racquet strung

Lol! Even your signature is overflowing with clubs, you have 15 listed. :act-up:

I've been crazy in last year. I went from using the same set for 13 years to being on my 4th set of irons now in the last 2 years.

My current gaming bag :)
b85aafd3e7bb623228995afbd20e6eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been crazy in last year. I went from using the same set for 13 years to being on my 4th set of irons now in the last 2 years.

My current gaming bag :)
b85aafd3e7bb623228995afbd20e6eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like I always say, you never know when you'll need 3 different putters on the green!

I liked the longer post and provides a better understanding.

I build a lot of sets of clubs but could never justify buying a loft and lie machine. The golf shop I do repairs for had an older Golfworks bending machine that was not set up. I downloaded a user manual, setup the machine and bent a few sets. In return he gave me an Older loft and lie machine that was buried in the back. After an hour of repairs and rethreading holes, one ball bearing and a hardware trip to Home depot I now have my own machine. At $700 or so for that machine you bought, you would have to bend about 20 sets of clubs and charge a premium to break even. But once word gets out that you have the machine, word spreads quickly. There are now three more sets for me to bend when I get back from sea.

Keep it as you never know when you only even to adjust 1 or 2 irons ... i know i could have bought a good machine with the monies spend on going to a local shop & getting loft / lie adjustments , i have my current machine 4 years now and golf wise it is one of the best purchases ive made , im considering buying another machine that also does putters and hybrids ... if you enjoy tinkering with clubs it's a good investment

Heck my steel stamp set will never pay for itself, I can't imagine a loft/lie machine in my hands faring better!

Back