Wilson Staff C100 Irons Review

Well I guess my days of spamming the various THP iron threads with questions about various clubs with graphite shafts should come to a close now. I just pulled the trigger on brand new C100s with the standard Aldila RIP graphite in regular.

I'm excited. These should work great and look completely badass with the two tone club color plus black graphite shafts with skulls on them.

Dave

That is a great looking setup. The C100s really are fantastic irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I guess my days of spamming the various THP iron threads with questions about various clubs with graphite shafts should come to a close now. I just pulled the trigger on brand new C100s with the standard Aldila RIP graphite in regular.

I'm excited. These should work great and look completely badass with the two tone club color plus black graphite shafts with skulls on them.

Dave
I think you will really like the C100s. I have the same setup, super easy to hit and a really nice ball flight.

I think you will really like the C100s. I have the same setup, super easy to hit and a really nice ball flight.

Duffer,

I notice your set goes directly from the 48° GW to a sand wedge as well - mine is 55° and yours is 56°. Do you ever wish you had a 52° in the bag?

I picture myself using the GW for most chipping/pitching needs and going to the SW for sand shots or situations where the bump and run method won't work and I need to get air under the ball. That's the way I used the 50° Speedblade AW, but the 50/55 in that setup was the "normal" gapping.

Dave

Last edited:
Duffer,

I notice your set goes directly from the 48° GW to a sand wedge as well - mine is 55° and yours is 56°. Do you ever wish you had a 52° in the bag?

I picture myself using the GW for most chipping/pitching needs and going to the SW for sand shots or situations where the bump and run method won't work and I need to get air under the ball. That's the way I used the 50° Speedblade AW, but the 50/55 in that setup was the "normal" gapping.

Dave
Yes I did on several occasions last year. Once I can get past my phobia of hitting less than full shots I plan on adding a 52°. Fortunately, until then, I'm able to hold the greens easily with my 7i on down.

My irons came in today and I'm impressed with them. I hit a handful of practice balls in the back yard after getting home from work (how about it being lighter longer!) and have hit some chips in the house with foam balls. I like the styling of the clubs, they look great. The regular flex graphite shafts are actually quite stout.

I feel like I received quite a deal getting these brand new for a close out price and look forward to using them this year. If you're in the market for irons on a tight budget these appear to be a fantastic choice.

I took some pictures side by side of the C100 7 iron with the Speedblade 7 iron. I like the appearance of both.

The soles are very similar to the Speedblades. The C100 is maybe a touch wider. Obviously, the Speedblade slot is different.

2016_02_04_15260_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Again, the top line is very similar to the Speedblades. Both have a two tone look at address and similar blade size.

2016_02_04_15261_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Here's where the irons are quite different. The C100 has the exoskeleton design while the Speedblade has the undercut design.

2016_02_04_15253_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave

First round of 2016, on a course with plenty of mud and soft conditions, so had the wider-sole C100s in the bag. First 9 holes were iffy at best with suspect swings/contact, in consistent 15 mph winds. Definitely turned it around on the back 9, though, with multiple birdie looks, and even the shag-bag, non-premium balls were spinning on the shaggy greens.

The sound/feel is not the best feature of the C100s, but there is still a lot to like about them with a high flight, good lateral and low contact forgiveness, and decent spin (for my swing). With these on close-out pricing in most places, they are a good option for a budget hunter.

I ultimately sold mine because I did not like the feel but they were very consistent performers with the custom DG Pros I had Wilson install. Definitely worth a look at the current pricing.

I had my first trip out with the C100s today. My wife and I played 4 holes at a local executive course.

Hole 1 - PW GIR, 2 Putt - Par
Hole 2 - 4 Hybrid, SW from the bunker, 2 Putt - Bogey
Hole 3 - 8 Iron GIR, 2 Putt - Par
Hole 4 - Bad Drive, 2 Hybrid to 70 yds, GW pitch over the green, SW chip, 2 Putt - Double Bogey

For my skill level, +3 through 4 holes is really good. I'll go out and do 9 holes the next rain free opportunity I get.

I really like the C100s so far. The feel is good IMO, I didn't notice any harshness and like the stock graphite shafts.

Dave

Glad they're working for you. That's a decent start to your time with the C100s.

Glad to hear that your C100s are working well for you.
Oh, don't let your wife try them unless you want to risk losing them. I did and mine are now hers...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Another early season round in the books, and gamed the C100s again. Conditions weren't quite as wet as the first go-round, but they weren't dry, either. Irons were pretty good for me during the round, with multiple birdie looks, again. And, I spent nearly the entire round out on the toe, and got away with it nearly every time. The one "pured" strike I had, I sailed the green by a few yards, into a good wind. Score on that hole notwithstanding, another round where I was again impressed with the performance.

I can clearly play these with no issues, but good results have me wanting to try the C200s with this same shaft (C-Taper Lite). I know they look better, and sound/feel better.

Back