Complicated reshaft question for the experts...

kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I'm in the process of reshafting my Fourteen irons from stock Nippon 950HT shafts to Xcaliber Tour X shafts. So far I shafted the 8-pw and it's great. I liked them so much I'm going to reshaft the 5-7. I have a few more forgiving middle irons in my spare bag so I decided to do a combo set. The 7-pw will be the Fourteen PC555 and the 5 and 6 irons will be the TC330. The specs are here...

http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/4teen-pc555-irons/1000000004423.jsp

http://www.puetzgolf.com/fourteen-golf-tc-330-iron-set-with-steel-shafts

As you can see, the PC555's are a half inch longer than standard 38" 5 irons while the TC330's are way longer. When I pulled the stock shafts, the labeled lengths at the end of the shafts were:

pw - 35"
9 - 35.5"
8 - 36"
7 - 36.5"
6 - 38"
5 - 38.5"

Looking on the Nippon website, the shaft meant for the pw is 35" with half increments up. Using the logic, everything is ok in the 7-pw (PC555) but the shafts in the TC330's are off. The shaft in the 6 iron was meant for a 4 iron, and the shaft in the 5 iron was meant for a 3 iron. I assume it's because the stock lengths are 38.6" and 39.25", which are 4 and 3 iron lengths.

My plan is to match the stock lengths. So my question is, should I tip the Xcaliber shafts per the iron type, of should I tip the 6 iron like I would a 4 iron, and the 5 iron like I would the 3 iron?

Thanks

The two longer shafts appear to have been soft stepped twice. They MAY have been left longer in an attempt at more distance or that set was built for someone needing longer length clubs.

If you're happy with the performance of the shafted XCalibers, I would just install them as designed for each club. I would also check the head weights to make sure the progression stays correct in the blended set.

Thanks for the response. I receive the irons directly from Fourteen, so that's the way they were built. I'm going to assume they were built this way because the 6 iron has a traditional 4 iron length (38.6") and loft (25*) so essentially it's a 4 iron labeled a 6 iron.

The two longer shafts appear to have been soft stepped twice. They MAY have been left longer in an attempt at more distance or that set was built for someone needing longer length clubs.

If you're happy with the performance of the shafted XCalibers, I would just install them as designed for each club. I would also check the head weights to make sure the progression stays correct in the blended set.

Thanks for the response. I receive the irons directly from Fourteen, so that's the way they were built. I'm going to assume they were built this way because the 6 iron has a traditional 4 iron length (38.6") and loft (25*) so essentially it's a 4 iron labeled a 6 iron.

I'm a little confused - are the replacement shafts (XCalibers) taper (.355) or parallel tip (.370)?

They are parallel. A little careful sanding and it fit.

I'm a little confused - are the replacement shafts (XCalibers) taper (.355) or parallel tip (.370)?

They are parallel. A little careful sanding and it fit.

In that case, I would echo tribefan and emphasize that you check the headweights of the irons in question. It is quite possible that those heads are lighter than usual; if so, you would tip to per the headweight standards and then cut the butt to length. Just my suggestion...

For me...I prefer slightly stiffer long irons and softer short irons. Choke down and swing, if its fairly soft feel then tip 1/2 inch.

I weighed the heads on my digital scale...

7 iron - 261g
6 iron - 246g
5 iron - 238g

the 6 and 5 irons are really light. I assume this was done to account for the longer stock length...

Thant being said, if I were to keep the stock lengths, how should I tip the 5 and 6 irons?

I weighed the heads on my digital scale...

7 iron - 261g
6 iron - 246g
5 iron - 238g

the 6 and 5 irons are really light. I assume this was done to account for the longer stock length...

Thant being said, if I were to keep the stock lengths, how should I tip the 5 and 6 irons?

If you are trying to maintain a consistent flex, your 6 iron should be tipped as per the 4 iron guidance and the 5 iron would be tipped as a 3 iron (given the weights you provided).

Back