Shorter Driver Build: 2019 XXIO Prime

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Decided to give the 2019 XXIO Prime a chance in the 2nd driver spot and that is quite the old since it comes in pretty long and I need it at about 43.5.

I like my 2nd driver to play super light and swing weight in the C5-C9 area, which most people think is crazy, but it works for me (only in this club where I’m not looking for speed but guiding of the ball.

This one coming in at D5 meant some changes but most of that would come when the length was removed and new grip put on. Important to note the new XXIO does not normally come in at D5, I believe standard is D3.

5e4eda28c6b484b0881116495a70b4d8.jpg

Mark to cut
631319dbd85b4a218bf6fb8ee273c44a.jpg

Cut on saw
9314c1302044febf97e4179e2ef1fcc9.jpg

Time to grip
6980601465a311a12d562e95f345ab41.jpg

152c6d8ff3da90770689a6eb603076c9.jpg

fdfe82df89cbc69ee30ecc9b07b96c0c.jpg

Check swing weight
1c36af33874646b6b7ee8f6aa6b28008.jpg

From here if I want to increase the swing weight it could be done in numerous ways. This will head out to testing as is, before it gets a different shaft and then some fine tuning to come in at exactly the weight I want. My method for this in the 2nd driver spot is lead powder. Others use many different ways such as tape, hot melt, tip weights, etc.

Lead powder is a good choice since you have a swing weight machine that IS that accurate
It's a lot easier to fine tune

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Now that’s an interesting idea!! Have to consider that!

You like lead powder to move a few swing weight points, hypothetically if you wanted to get this back to D2 - D4 would you use a different method to increase swing weight? Do you think too much powder in the shaft changes the ball flight?

Love seeing the lab in use.

• Admin
You like lead powder to move a few swing weight points, hypothetically if you wanted to get this back to D2 - D4 would you use a different method to increase swing weight? Do you think too much powder in the shaft changes the ball flight?

Yes I would use either tip weight or lead tape if placement became a concern

Looking forward to seeing how it plays for you.

• Admin
Looking forward to seeing how it plays for you.

So only got to hit about 12 shots with it, but I love the head. Shaft, even shorterned might be a bit weak to flex for me, so might drop in my trusty PX Custom THP Staff shaft in it tomorrow.

You know I’ll be following along with this. What loft is this one?

• Admin
How does lead powder differ from the other methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does lead powder differ from the other methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All methods work. It really comes down to placement and if sound change is wanted. Hot melt will influence sound change more than tip weights or powder will. With powder however most use the cork method to keep it in place.

Cool concept. Even cooler to hear about you actually playing some golf, lol.

I do have a couple questions, what’s the average difference in distance between 1 &2 and what’s the average dispersal difference. Also is it something you can hit off the deck (assuming perfect conditions, obviously)?

Cool concept. Even cooler to hear about you actually playing some golf, lol.

I do have a couple questions, what’s the average difference in distance between 1 &2 and what’s the average dispersal difference. Also is it something you can hit off the deck (assuming perfect conditions, obviously)?

About 20 yards difference between the two assuming both hit well.
The 2nd one being both shorter and higher spin, along with shallower mean more forgiveness, etc.
I can hit it off the deck, but for my game, my rule of thumb is if im that far out, sometimes its best to take bomb and gouge out of the equation. Part of that is geography and where I play where there is so much water in play.

I do think more could benefit from this play though, because the FW off the deck is such a low percentage shot for many mid to high handicappers.

About 20 yards difference between the two assuming both hit well.
The 2nd one being both shorter and higher spin, along with shallower mean more forgiveness, etc.
I can hit it off the deck, but for my game, my rule of thumb is if im that far out, sometimes its best to take bomb and gouge out of the equation. Part of that is geography and where I play where there is so much water in play.

I do think more could benefit from this play though, because the FW off the deck is such a low percentage shot for many mid to high handicappers.

Gotcha, thanks. I’d probably be classified as a low-low/mid handicapper, and I probably hit less than 10% of greens I go at with 3w+ off the deck. That number probably rises to 20-25% if I’m teed up with my 3w+ on a number of very short par 4’s that I play, so I definitely see your point. From the deck it’s tough for me to impart enough spin to hold the green if it lands before it or more than a few steps on. I can spin it more and bring it from higher if I’m hitting it off the tee. I may have to try this out with an older very forgiving Adams Speedline that’s just collecting dust in my garage.

So taking say 2” off of a shaft, how much does it change the stiffness in general? Would a R-flex play more like an S? X? Thanks.

Gotcha, thanks. I’d probably be classified as a low-low/mid handicapper, and I probably hit less than 10% of greens I go at with 3w+ off the deck. That number probably rises to 20-25% if I’m teed up with my 3w+ on a number of very short par 4’s that I play, so I definitely see your point. From the deck it’s tough for me to impart enough spin to hold the green if it lands before it or more than a few steps on. I can spin it more and bring it from higher if I’m hitting it off the tee. I may have to try this out with an older very forgiving Adams Speedline that’s just collecting dust in my garage.

So taking say 2” off of a shaft, how much does it change the stiffness in general? Would a R-flex play more like an S? X? Thanks.

That would depend on profile in my opinion and where stiffness is located via flags. But honestly as a profile overall, not a ton to me.

Thanks! I’ve got both a 13.5 with a senior flex and a 10.5 with a regular flex Adams Speedline. They were my middle sons first and second adult sized drivers. I was hoping that I could get by with the 10.5 with the R-flex since it’ll mean less work, and since I don’t do my own club work, less money. Full ponder mode on....

I'm not sure if this is exactly what's happening but a buddy cut off an inch and a half off his driver but added all the weight back in the head with powder and head tacking glue. That head was just a dud after that. Stock heads had much higher ball speeds. I think it ended up sort of how the Taylormade M5 and M6 are doing and the glue slowed down the face.

That's why when I added the weight back, I first went with a heavy tip weight and then added powder to fine tune.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oh, hey Smites. I hope an expert will chime in for you but the general consensus is that a shaft will play softer in flex if you cut from the butt and stiffer if you cut from the tip. You should do your most of your own club work, its easy and therapeutic.

Oh, hey Smites. I hope an expert will chime in for you but the general consensus is that a shaft will play softer in flex if you cut from the butt and stiffer if you cut from the tip. You should do your most of your own club work, its easy and therapeutic.

Actually depends on the shaft design more than there being a hard and fast rule when removing length from the butt section of the shaft. With the tip section, it’s straight forward in increasing stiffness, but there’s absolute when trimming to length from the other side.

Actually depends on the shaft design more than there being a hard and fast rule when removing length from the butt section of the shaft. With the tip section, it’s straight forward in increasing stiffness, but there’s absolute when trimming to length from the other side.

Okay smarty pants, Is there a scenario with any shaft that it would play stiffer by cutting the butt end?

Smarty pants is a term of endearment btw.

Okay smarty pants, Is there a scenario with any shaft that it would play stiffer by cutting the butt end?

Smarty pants is a term of endearment btw.

Never said it would play stiffer. Said it wouldn’t automatically play softer. Profile matters.

So this driver is pretty firmly in the 2nd driver spot in the bag. Shaft was changed to a UST Mamiya LINQ Tour Shaft in purple.

Playing super light due to head weight and I kind of like it.

So this driver is pretty firmly in the 2nd driver spot in the bag. Shaft was changed to a UST Mamiya LINQ Tour Shaft in purple.

Man, I can’t wait to hear more about the LINQ in this thing.

I'm sure this as been asked before but I am genuinely interested in this concept. Can you use a 3 wood shaft or is it better to go driver and cut down? Sorry, I am ignorant when it comes to club making.

Back