2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

So this morning kind of surprised me given my last couple of weeks have been really rough in a lot of ways and lead me to be a bit off in my diet. Down to 197.6, that's just under 12 lbs and 8.6 off my secondary goal.

Only thing I can think of is that I have really increased my activity both between classes by walking to the main building and making a loop in the hallway 7 times a day and then being out on the course with the kids walking/carrying/coaching daily. Add in the SKLZ program and good things are happening. Good things indeed.

Cracking back down on the diet this week though as the Doc pre-cooked our weeks lunches as a try-out sort of thing, all WW points based and some pretty good looking meals.

here it is March 1st 2016! on March 1st 2015 I stepped on a scale, 400.0 pounds!!!!! that is the day I made the decision that I had to do something to change my life. I did research and found a program that I started on March 5th.

today March 1st 2016, the scale read 229.0. 171 pounds are gone....never to be seen again.

it was hard work but worth every effort I put in, to anyone who has had a set back or anyone who is not losing as fast they want, just hang in there and be patient but never give up. I now this sounds a little cliquish but if I can do it, anyone can do it!!!!

You sir, are seriously an inspiration!

2 days of vendor meeting raised me up to 172, time to tighten back up.
Its just hard to say no to free food and drinks lol

So in 2 months I managed to drop a sad 3lbs, and then I ate like crap the last week and a half and it's all back. So it's time to get serious again, and it's all about the diet. I have to get the binge eating under control. I can eat bad things here and there, but I can't keep doing the 2 week benders. I am like an alcoholic but with food. I have a sickness.

Through it all, I haven't stopped going to OT so that is good, and today's class was a killer. I just wasn't feeling it today, not sure why, so I felt like my effort wasn't as good as it could have been but I still burned 680 calories so I can't be too unhappy about that. We did end up with a 2500m row, that was not fun!

I just wasn't feeling it today, not sure why, so I felt like my effort wasn't as good as it could have been but I still burned 680 calories so I can't be too unhappy about that. We did end up with a 2500m row, that was not fun!

That is the beauty of the heart monitor ... it tells the truth of what your heart is doing, regardless of your perception ... I am usually the opposite ... think I am killing it, and I am still in the green ... grrrr ... I have noticed my heart recovers much faster than when I first started ...

I went yesterday and we had a lot treadmill/rower work ... it felt good because I am still very sore from climbing the walls/hills at the spartan ...

I signed up for more OT classes before the rates went up ... so tomorrow is our next class ...

Last edited:
Jumping into this thread. On Feb 9 I was at 304.6. Today, 3 weeks later I'm at 291.8. That's 4 pounds per week, and that's my realistic goal. It's also with a pretty sedentary lifestyle so far. Once I start getting out and playing some golf, it will only get better. For the first time in a long time I'm actually committed to losing weight. I have virtually eliminated carbs, and particularly refined carbs. That's what my doctor has been harping on for the last year, and it's finally found root. No bread. No white rice. No refined sugar but the little in some sauces and flavorings that is nearly impossible to avoid. I'm not on a restricted menu aside from what I set for myself. I'm taking strength from hunger, I'm eating good foods - plenty of veggies and fruits.

One day each week on Taco Tuesday, my wife and I meet her father and three of his lady friends for lunch at Taco John's. I used to have 2 tacos and a large Potato Ole with nacho cheese sauce. Now I still go, but my mini pig out is one taco and just 5 of the little fried potato disks (think a squished tater tot) with a little dip in the cheese and a jalapeño slice on top. This is my big carb meal for the week, and now it comes as a real treat instead of just another fast food lunch.

I see the doctor in a couple of weeks and she will want to have blood work and see where I'm at with that. Last time my triglycerides were so high that they couldn't get an accurate reading on my HDL (good cholesterol). It's past time that I did something about this, so I feel I've made a good beginning. Still a lot of work ahead to get to and stay where I want to be, but for the first time in ages I feel like it's really going to happen.

Thats really awesome fourputt.

Fourputt, do work my man! Everyone lights that fire at different stages for different reasons. The best thing is the fire is burning dude. There are a ton of people (no pun intended) that have used this thread for support. Welcome, and keep us posted.

here it is March 1st 2016! on March 1st 2015 I stepped on a scale, 400.0 pounds!!!!! that is the day I made the decision that I had to do something to change my life. I did research and found a program that I started on March 5th.

today March 1st 2016, the scale read 229.0. 171 pounds are gone....never to be seen again.

it was hard work but worth every effort I put in, to anyone who has had a set back or anyone who is not losing as fast they want, just hang in there and be patient but never give up. I now this sounds a little cliquish but if I can do it, anyone can do it!!!!

Outstanding, bro! That's awesome.

That's an insane amount to lose in a year. Congrats!

So ... weighed myself a day ago and well, not happy with what the scale showed me. So I'm looking to drop 20 to 30 pounds.

If I had to hazard a guess, a lot of my problem stems from eating fast food for lunch pretty much every day. I also have a tendency to grab a donut in the mornings on the way into work. I know changing my dietary habits is important, but it's going to be tough for a couple of reasons. First, I love bread. Mainly bagels, but I'm a sucker for soft bread. Second, I drink diet soda like other people drink coffee. It's my early morning wake-up. I have never taken to coffee (or tea) so finding that pick-me-up drink is going to be difficult. I'm trying to love water, but unless it's super hot outside, and the water super-cold, I'm usually not a fan.

*sigh* So here I am, looking to shed the pounds, and hoping to get any tips/tricks to help ease the process along. I know there won't be any short-cuts, but anything to help me from being a miserable richard through this process would be greatly appreciated. Started the day with a half cup of cottage cheese with fresh strawberries, so I'm hoping it's a good start.

I'm only 255 and a bigger person in general, but need to get down to 215 or so. After a decade of being over weight my blood pressure is starting to give me issues despite other indicators being good (heart, cholesterol, etc.). So now I have no choice but to lose weight to get the blood pressure under control. I started eating better, essentially paleo style, 3 weeks ago with the intent to work towards a ketogenic diet. I've kept most days around 100 grams of carbs, but haven't ventured into the sub 50 levels yet. I started keeping track of the nutrition info on the foods I'm eating and found that I was eating a TON of sodium so that is likely at least part of the problem (aside from weight, genetics, etc.). I've also been to the gym just about every day doing slow paced easy cardio for cardio function, and also HIIT training for weight loss/muscle. I was just over 255 three weeks ago and was 247 this morning. I do fluctuate weight worse than Oprah though, so I'm hoping the BP is enough to keep me focused for the long run this time.

Wow some great stories int the last 24 hours ...

Fourputt I have been there on the triglycerides
Maddog truly an incredible story ... my hat is off to you!
deuce/CRW you can do this!!

I'm only 255 and a bigger person in general, but need to get down to 215 or so. After a decade of being over weight my blood pressure is starting to give me issues despite other indicators being good (heart, cholesterol, etc.). So now I have no choice but to lose weight to get the blood pressure under control. I started eating better, essentially paleo style, 3 weeks ago with the intent to work towards a ketogenic diet. I've kept most days around 100 grams of carbs, but haven't ventured into the sub 50 levels yet. I started keeping track of the nutrition info on the foods I'm eating and found that I was eating a TON of sodium so that is likely at least part of the problem (aside from weight, genetics, etc.). I've also been to the gym just about every day doing slow paced easy cardio for cardio function, and also HIIT training for weight loss/muscle. I was just over 255 three weeks ago and was 247 this morning. I do fluctuate weight worse than Oprah though, so I'm hoping the BP is enough to keep me focused for the long run this time.

Look up info on the DASH diet. DASH stands for dietary approaches to stop hypertension. There is a good book you can buy on Amazon that spells out everything, like limiting sodium, increasing potassium, etc. Despite working out 3-4 times a week and eating fairly decent for 10 years or more I still got put on notice by the doc about my BP and cholesterol. Sometimes you just cannot outrun genetics. Started this diet a little over a year ago and numbers improved significantly. Able to push through a weight plateau I had not been able to get through for about 20 years in the process also.

You're off to a good start! Just dropping weight will help tremendously. But this will help you from a diet standpoint. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up info on the DASH diet. DASH stands for dietary approaches to stop hypertension. There is a good book you can buy on Amazon that spells out everything, like limiting sodium, increasing potassium, etc. Despite working out 3-4 times a week and eating fairly decent for 10 years or more I still got put on notice by the doc about my BP and cholesterol. Sometimes you just cannot outrun genetics. Started this diet a little over a year ago and numbers improved significantly. Able to push through a weight plateau I had not been able to get through for about 20 years in the process also.

You're off to a good start! Just dropping weight will help tremendously. But this will help you from a diet standpoint. Good luck!

It's funny that you mention that and the name. I know it's name is unrelated, but my boss was telling me I should only use Mrs. Dash seasonings as they don't put sodium in their products.

Even eating the paleo/keto style diet, I've found that there's a ton of sodium in some low carb foods. My italian dressing I put on my salad has around 17% of the DRV per serving and I'm estimating I put 2-3 servings on my salad. I also didn't realize cheese had so much sodium (I love cheese).

I think I'm hitting a plateau. What are your tricks of the trade?

Just keep doing your thing. It will be short term then you wilk be write back on track. Seems to happen now and then

Completed 7th week of my nutrion plan with my trainer and 6th week of workout program. The scale hasn't moved but I'm down 3% body fat.

I email pics and macro info to my trainer weekly. Then he follows up with any changes and his thoughts. He commented today that he can see a change in body composition which is what we are going for. While it can be a bit frustrating not seeing the scale move it's nice to see the changes happen.

Just keep doing your thing. It will be short term then you wilk be write back on track. Seems to happen now and then

I agree with mikedean ... keep on keeping on ...

my body seems to plateau occasionally ... I think its trying to decide if I am in a starvation situation, and thinks it needs to store some fat cells to make it through the storm ...

Just keep on keepin' on. It will happen...trust me, I know. Your body is adjusting all the time, sometimes faster than other times. Just hang in there
It's funny that you mention that and the name. I know it's name is unrelated, but my boss was telling me I should only use Mrs. Dash seasonings as they don't put sodium in their products.

Even eating the paleo/keto style diet, I've found that there's a ton of sodium in some low carb foods. My italian dressing I put on my salad has around 17% of the DRV per serving and I'm estimating I put 2-3 servings on my salad. I also didn't realize cheese had so much sodium (I love cheese).

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Looking forward to seeing 21 as the first numbers on the scale. This change in eating habits and weight loss has really helped my mood. Helps that I'm able to wear jeans that I had given up hope on. Haha! Good stuff and thanks to everyone who uses this thread.

Kicked butt this week at my WW weigh in. I'm down about 19ish pounds but my clothes do not seem to be bigger, only the same size fitting better.

Hope to be down another 15 by end of April!

Kicked butt this week at my WW weigh in. I'm down about 19ish pounds but my clothes do not seem to be bigger, only the same size fitting better.

Hope to be down another 15 by end of April!

That is fantastic! I love reading these stories here!

Back