Cut down iron shafts

Cfrick13

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve never had to get my iron shafts cut down before but any idea what it would cost with that and then getting the loft and lie adjusted accordingly?

Hard to tell. Will depend much on the local market. For me, here in OKC, I can get L/L adjusted for $4 each club. Lengthening would likely be ~$10-15/club depending on the grip used.

Okay, from what I’ve read if I get them cut down I will need the loft and lie adjustment? Does that cost extra I’m assuming?

Okay, from what I’ve read if I get them cut down I will need the loft and lie adjustment? Does that cost extra I’m assuming?

Well, now, that's not a hard and fast rule. It's true, if the lie is a perfect fit for you now, then the effective lie will get flatter once it's cut down (~1° per 1/2" cut down). However, if they're not perfect now, then I'd have them cut down first and play them to see if they need adjusted.

The other issue is the swingweight. If you only cut off 1/2", you might not notice it. Much more than that and it'll be noticeable. You'll lose ~3 swingweight points per 1/2".

Last edited:
As far as if it'd cost extra with the shortening, then answer is a certain... maybe. Again, gonna depend on the clubmaker.

Here are the prices at golf galaxy

3.99 per club to shorten
4.99 per club or 31.99 for a set of 8 for loft/lie adjustment
2.99 per club for regrip (extra 5.99 each if we save the grip and reuse it)

Like OG said, have them cut and then try them first. You may hit them perfect with your lie angle now but you might swing slightly different with the new length. It'll be slightly lighter so subconsciously you may swing it differently.

Give it a go and then see if you need to change the lie angle. Loft won't change simply from cutting down the shaft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Further questions..I need them cut down about an inch as they were +3/4. Will that effect the weight of it at all?

Also the ones I have are 1" upright. How will cutting them down an inch change the loft/lie?

Also the ones I have are 1" upright. How will cutting them down an inch change the loft/lie?

Loft will be the same. I believe an inch will flatten them two degrees give or take?

Awesome so not that big of a deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2° can definitely make a difference in ball flight.

Back