How Do You Mark The Golf Ball (on the green)

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Some chatter in the latest tournament thread begs the question to me, what the appropriate way to mark a golf ball is, or at least what you believe is the right way.

Do you bury the coin basically touching the ball?
Do you drop the coin to where the ball (looking straight down) is flush with the coin?

Do you believe there is only one way (your way obviously lol) to mark the ball?

O/u on the 1k posts is 24 hrs. Lol

I personally have the coin touching the bottom of the ball

I don't believe there is only one way, so long as whatever way is consistent and accurate. For me I slide my mark directly in behind the ball until it touches.

O/u on the 1k posts is 24 hrs. Lol

I personally have the coin touching the bottom of the ball

for me, I'm usually fairly close but never touching. I'm always afraid that removing the coin that close at some point is going to make me slap the ball away haha

I get my marker as close as I can without actually touching the ball. I'm too nervous I'd make the ball move lol

Edge of coin touches edge of golf ball.

I was alway under the impression that your mark had to be up to the ball but not touching.....there couldn’t be a big gap, but I always thought the mark touching the ball was a penalty.

I leave about a 1/2" gap usually, especially if I'm using a thicker marker like a Lamb donut.

I put the coin right under the ball and replace ball in the same spot.

I've played with guys who do the coin in front of the ball by 3", then place ball in front of coin by another 3" thing

I set mine behind the ball but not touching it. Sometimes if I know it’s close to me being in someone’s line I’ll mark it to the side of the ball.

for me, I'm usually fairly close but never touching. I'm always afraid that removing the coin that close at some point is going to make me slap the ball away haha

Never thought of that but now will lol

Nearly touching, I would not penalize myself or an opponent for a small inadvertent movement of the ball.

I always mark mine just behind the ball, not touching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally have the coin touching the bottom of the ball.

I use an old style quarter, eagle up, head towards the hole. always a bout a quarter of an inch behind the ball.

I just count anything on the green as a gimmie. Is that wrong?

I mark with the mark under the ball, touching, usually.

I always mark it away from the ball, like front edge of the coin is even with the back edge of the ball leaving a little gap. Like mentioned above, I don’t want to send my ball rolling across the green trying to remove my marker at some point.

Isn’t that an accidental movement of the ball, and under the new rules you can replace without penalty? I thought that was one of the main points it was addressing. But maybe I’m wrong

I mark it close to the ball but not touching.

The mark is nearly touching the ball

If I am marking with a poker chip, I stop about a quarter inch short of the ball, directly behind the ball and the hole.

If I have a small marker, I slide it as close to the ball as I can.

Back