Slow Play on Tour

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I checked a few pages back and didn't see a regular thread to discuss/rant about slow play on Tour.

Super happy to see Holmes overcome adversity and win, but Social is absolutely blasting him for his slow play. The final group went out at 11:30 PST (I think based on tee times) and finished right at 5 PST. A full 5.5 hours for a threesome to make the trek around Riviera.

Here's some twitter samples:

Could you imagine if the tour actually did something about this?

That's ridiculous. But I didn't see the tournament, and wonder how far behind the next group they were? Were they ever put on the clock?

In the second video Peter Kostis said the Holmes-Thomas-Scott group had to wait on every tee box and every approach shot today.
When a golf course is full with players on every hole, often two groups per hole, then pace of play will be slow.
Regarding Tour event pace of play, it is mostly about the large size of the fields, usually 140 to 150 players. After the cut is made and the size of the field is reduced, pace of play usually improves significantly. This tournament in LA was different because so many players had to play more than 18 holes today, Sunday.

That's ridiculous. But I didn't see the tournament, and wonder how far behind the next group they were? Were they ever put on the clock?

Holmes group was not behind at all, they were waiting on the group ahead of them.

That's brutal. I get that some players have tens of thousands of dollars riding, effectively, on every shot. But JB just looks really laborious in the process, and further, refuses to go thru any step of the process until it's actually his turn to play.

That's brutal. I get that some players have tens of thousands of dollars riding, effectively, on every shot. But JB just looks really laborious in the process, and further, refuses to go thru any step of the process until it's actually his turn to play.
I know toward the end JB lined himself up at least 3 times on a putt. At least a minute. JT stepped off of at least 2 putts and reset multiple times. I get the wind and pressure.....sure, but damn at some point these guys need to set a better example.

If we did that in the course I might have a golf ball flying at my head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I get this tournament provided some unusual circumstances due to whether delays, but being in the final group and looping 18 in 5.5 hours is a bit much. I don’t care if you’re waiting or not.

It’s time for the tour to implement some sort of shot clock and get these guys playing a little quicker. I appreciate the personal struggles Holmes has overcome, but plumb bobbing a 10” putt seems a bit much.

Holmes is awful. Between all the practice swings and then backing away he's so slow

That and plumb bobbing a 8inch putt

Baker-Finch was crushing JB for waiting to start his laborius pre-shot routine until it was his turn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I mean if it were open field in front of them I'd say it's a much bigger issue. Perhaps he was also pacing himself, so he doesn't have to sit those extra couple minutes at the next tee box, more than he already had to

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They were the final group playing for a $1.4 million purse. The wind was blowing putts out of the hole and they had all missed 3 footers due to it. They were just taking their time. This is their job. Not to mention they played almost 30 holes each today and yesterday.

I think the most egregious JB Holmes slow play situation was last year (or was it the year before?) at the Farmers, when he waited what seemed like 15 minutes for the green to clear on 18, then proceeded to lay up with a wedge.

That said, he's not the only one on tour who's guilty of playing this slow, and I'd love to see the Tour do something about all of these guys, especially on the green. Because that's where you start to see a bunch of folks on Sunday stalking 6 foot putts from 3 angles. But they've got to do it across the board and not pick some rando to make a point of and then do nothing for months/years.

They were the final group playing for a $1.4 million purse. The wind was blowing putts out of the hole and they had all missed 3 footers due to it. They were just taking their time. This is their job. Not to mention they played almost 30 holes each today and yesterday.

Yes, but there are rules on how much time they can take. Why is this one OK to ignore? It puts the guys who are cognizant of pace/the rules at a disadvantage.

We where discussing the 8 inch putt plumb bob on Twitter. I get the hole routine thing but that seems a little overboard for a tap in.

I mean if it were open field in front of them I'd say it's a much bigger issue. Perhaps he was also pacing himself, so he doesn't have to sit those extra couple minutes at the next tee box, more than he already had to

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Exactly right, and that is why (in the second video) Peter Kostis clarified the situation.

Are the players complaining? If not I have zero skin in the game. I watch golf whether they play slow or fast. And I most certainly don’t complaining about it.

I think it’s bad for the game overall - well at least bad for TV ratings. I’d guess the majority of viewers would rather see a round of golf finish in a reasonable time, as opposed a to 5.5 hour round. Other sports have realized this (NFL, MLB) and put things in place to speed up the game for the fans, would like to see this in golf too.

I think it’s bad for the game overall - well at least bad for TV ratings. I’d guess the majority of viewers would rather see a round of golf finish in a reasonable time, as opposed a to 5.5 hour round. Other sports have realized this (NFL, MLB) and put things in place to speed up the game for the fans, would like to see this in golf too.

Probably the only pragmatic solution (to slow pace of play at Tour events) is to reduce the field size to about 100 players (from its current average field size of 156 players).
Or, the Tour could choose venues where two courses are used. Too many players on one single course, at one time, is the primary reason for slow pace of play.

Are the players complaining? If not I have zero skin in the game. I watch golf whether they play slow or fast. And I most certainly don’t complaining about it.

The best argument is the emulation from non-tour players. In the video with the 1:20 putt, they mentioned that he made little to no effort to prep his putt while the other guys are playing their shots.

Is it a real problem?

The best argument is the emulation from non-tour players. In the video with the 1:20 putt, they mentioned that he made little to no effort to prep his putt while the other guys are playing their shots.

Is it a real problem?

I’ve always stood on the idea that slow play doesn’t occur because of tour players.

Wasn't JB "accused" of slow play last year on that shot on 18 in the rough that he pretty much chunked?
I forget the tourney and who he played but he took forever to hit the damn shot.

I very much dislike slow play on Tour, and elsewhere.
I guess at its root I dont believe it makes them play or hit the shot any better, and its disrespectful to the field.

If I had thousands of dollars riding on every shot I took I’d be slow too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I very much dislike slow play on Tour, and elsewhere.
I guess at its root I dont believe it makes them play or hit the shot any better, and its disrespectful to the field.

JB is painful to watch, I live the comeback he has made and respect him personally but as far as golf goes I would rather watch paint dry, paint dries hamster than he plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wandering around twitter and found this pic of Matt Every on the 16th. Apparently grabbed it on the tee and carried it all the way home? Is this real?!?!?! hahahahaha

DzoqpINWkAEOLmn.jpg

Back