Putt With A Line - Sell It

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've putted for an awful long time without any sort of alignment aid on the ball.

Sell me on why I should use a line or alignment element.

Last edited:
You could be changing your putting stroke without realizing it because you are lining up your putt to what you think is square but really isn't. I putted without using a line up until last year. Find your line and place the mark there and trust it. For me, the line pointed right of what my target line was because I would always have an inside out putting path and push my putts back to target. This really caused me trouble on putts that break left to right because I would push them down the slope and miss on the low side.

Since I started to trust my line, I've been much more consistent and when using our SAM Puttlab at work, my stroke and face angle has gotten much more square. Before, my face angle would be sometimes as far off as 5* open but now I'm within 1* of target and my stroke is much straighter.

Unless you miss your startline consistently probably no reason to sell you on the idea. Better to understand the problem you are trying to solve to see if an alignment aids might help

Unless you miss your startline consistently probably no reason to sell you on the idea. Better to understand the problem you are trying to solve to see if an alignment aids might help

No problems here, just looking for a good conversation on alignment logic with putting.

Do you use the ball alignment aid at all?

This is always a dilemma for me. I always seem to not trust my line on the ball. It always seems off after I line it up.
I’m right eye dominant and I think I need to adjust my stance a bit.
Time with the Puttout mirror, turf and pressure device will hopefully clear this up.

I need a more decisive plan this year. Looking forward to following along this thread for some ideas.

I've putted for an awful long time without any sort of alignment aid on the ball.

Sell me on why I should use a line or alignment element.

I'm not sure "selling" you is the right wording, but I will say it can be helpful with putts that have more break. I'm in the camp that speed is just as important as knowing the apex of a putt and if you struggle with visualizing or seeing the apex, an alignment on the ball might help. Honestly I would need to know more about your misses to figure out if it would beneficial to you.

If you're not using it what are you looking at? For me I have found it easier to have only one thing to focus on, line up the ball on my intended line stand over ball, putt. That being said I never line up putts on the putting green using the lines and seem to do just fine there haha. Mostly I used it to tell me if I put a good stroke on the ball. Seeing it roll end over end is very satisfying somehow even if the putt doesn't drop.

This is always a dilemma for me. I always seem to not trust my line on the ball. It always seems off after I line it up.
I’m right eye dominant and I think I need to adjust my stance a bit.
Time with the Puttout mirror, turf and pressure device will hopefully clear this up.

I need a more decisive plan this year. Looking forward to following along this thread for some ideas.

This is why I stopped using a line personally. I spent so much time on the ball arguing with the line I set hahaha

Decisiveness is a terrible thing.

No problems here, just looking for a good conversation on alignment logic with putting.

Based on that the reasoning would start to fall in line with setup. The first question would be how does the person use the putter to get aligned. Do you use the alignment aids to setup in line with the target line or do you use the putter to setup perpendicular to the target line.

If the player struggles to consistently setup and start the ball on the intended line then i would suggest that the player investigate alignment aids. This would include lines on the putter and ball.

I am no a believer that the setup has to be perfect, just consistent. If you have consistent setup and start the ball online don’t change.

This is why I stopped using a line personally. I spent so much time on the ball arguing with the line I set hahaha

Same. I've tried it for a few rounds and I seem to mark, adjust, eye it, adjust, eye it, adjust.. Just got fed up trying to make it work. I like to putt with all the logos down so all I see is white and just trust the line in my head.

Here is a photo of a naked top, topline line, and topline site dot. I practice and, or, play with each of these, all have the same head weight-loft-lie-length-grip.
For me there is no significant performance difference between the various alignment aids.IMG_5668.JPG

Post the image that you have of the Spider X along with the ERC Soft and it looks like its impossible to miss your target. I felt the same way with the Marxman and ERC.
And like you, I have always used just white.

I use a line with the intention of eliminating variables. I can set my start line from behind the ball, then use that line in my setup to get my body and putter in line. Theoretically, all I then have to worry about is the speed once I address the ball. Give yourself fewer things to worry about over the ball. If you don't like the line from address position, back off and take another look. Usually my first conviction is better than my second guess.

Usually on putts with a lot of break I'll put the ball clean side up, for the record.

For me, when putts are straight or less than a foot outside the hole, I hole more putts using the alignment aid.

This^^^, and getting the ball set on line in the first place, are why I don't putt with a line. For me it just adds one more element in a chain, each error adding up. First you have to fuss to get the ball pointed on line, then decide if you are square to both the ball and intended line once over the ball. Too fiddly for me, too many things to line up.

Also, data FWIW no line wins:

https://www.stmgc.com/articles/Should You Use A Line On Your Ball To Putt.pdf

Having switched to using the ball line recently, I've been much better. One thing I've noticed is sometimes addressing the ball and thinking "no that can't be right," but it is. And the few times I adjust off of it, I tend to miss in the direction I adjusted. So I'm learning. But I'm a high capper and that's probably much less relevant for you.

I can't sell you on it. I find adhering to the line on the ball only will result in poor pace control (speaking only for myself) but it does serve as a nice alignment check as you assume your stance.

This is a great sample. Can you miss with this helping your line?

2c61e9f80236017c679d4a3c4e2e4df4.jpg

Here is a photo of a naked top, topline line, and topline site dot. I practice and, or, play with each of these, all have the same head weight-loft-lie-length-grip.
For me there is no significant performance difference between the various alignment aids.View attachment 37657

In reality, only one of those is an “alignment” aid. Depending on how you use the line it may not be one either.

Of course you can miss with that setup. Wrong read, wrong speed, wrong face angle at impact. Initial alignment is only one piece of the puzzle.

I wouldn't be able to do that. Too many lines makes me watch my putter head going back. Also, as you and others have mentioned when I had a line on the ball it was too fussy to get it lined up and then I didn't trust it anyway. Speed control was worse as well. Now I just pick an intermediate target on the green to square up to, take a look at the hole and then go. I don't even try to roll the putt over the target I picked, I just trust that I lined myself up they way I wanted to and try to make a good stroke. Less fuss seems to mean more made putts for me. YMMV.

Of course you can miss with that setup. Wrong read, wrong speed, wrong face angle at impact. Initial alignment is only one piece of the puzzle.

lol holy wow you took that comment serious.

Putt With A Line - Sell It

lol holy wow you took that comment serious.

Of course . Had you put a track to the hole I might not have taken it so seriously.

You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve had to wait for someone to fiddle with their Scotty marker that has the lines on it for putting. Drove me up the wall watching them go back and forth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back