Club Help ! New Old Golfer

hanesie

Reaction score
Handicap
Good afternoon guys,

Looking for a new set of clubs. Looking to get something above a cheap beginner set but with a good name and product. I am a tall guy, 6'6 and have a set of old XPC3 clubs that were made a little longer for me by one of my dads buddies. They are ok but i am not a good golfer to begin with.

I dont live near any shops to get custom fitted. But i was online reading how to measure yourself for club length etc and did the wrist measurement and it came to 36.75'' from floor to wrist which despite my size would put me in a regular length club to a club +.25"

i have been nosing around at the local dunhams and they have some good deals (or at least i think) going on. There is a set of Callaway X416 uniflex steel shaft irons on sale for $279.99 , taylormade aeroburner hl steel stiff for $399 , Cobra Fly Z steel Stiff irons for $250, or a set of Callaway X416 uniflex steel shaft irons with 2 combo irons for $320. Have also read about a cobra one length set but not sure if that would be a good idea or not?

I guess my question is what kind of shaft do i need? i do swing hard so do i need stiff, or will the Uniflex work ? and any thoughts on these sets being a good place to start or if the regular length club is ok for me ? I held them twice now and they seem ok to me. But then again im no expert !!

Hope to hear from some of you guys that know what youre doing ! thanks in advance!

Steel iron shafts, I’ve always found them to function pretty similar regardless of flex. I’d be more concerned about the weight being right. That said uniflex might be on the too soft side if you swing really hard. I have no trouble playing playing Regular and my driver swing speed is around 120 and 6i swing speed is right around 100. My dad has uniflex in his and I’ve hit them a few times, I do have trouble with the ball ballooning on me with them but not with Regular flex, both DG R300 and Dynalite 105’s-which I have in my primary iron set.

So I’d pass on the Uniflex if you swing hard but I wouldn’t worry too much about Regular versus Stiff, especially as a beginner. If the weight feels good, I think you’ll find that more important.

Another idea would be to keep your eyes on the Buy Sell Trade forum here. If you’re not opposed to used that is, there’s some screaming deals to be had. eBay is another to keep an eye on. If buying new I’d make sure I bought from an authorized retailer, especially if the price is almost too good to be true. I’ve never had a problem there but there are lots of counterfeits out there so do your diligence and look hard at feedback. I’ve bought probably 12 irons sets on there and haven’t paid more than $300.00 for a new set (that was for Mizuno MP-15’s last year). Quality used sets can be had for as low as 100.00.

Oh yeah, welcome to THP! This place is great. Folks here are generally friendly and helpful. The only warning is if you spend too much time on here you may become a clubaholic. There should be a warning there somewhere in the signups, lol.

What to buy is a hard question to answer. I would avoid Dunham’s, as what they’re usually selling is old house models (Dicks and a couple other companies get older models with uniflex shafts and call them “exclusive”) and usually they’re asking too much. What you listed isn’t too bad, but you can buy used from Global Golf, 2nd Swing or Callaway Pre-owned and get some killer deals.

How far does your 7i or Driver usually go? What are your normal scores? Are there any preferences you have when looking at a club?

One Length is a solid concept and there are quite a few folks here that have played OL irons, myself included. It’s different but not a difficult transition. If you struggle to make contact with long irons, I’d say it’s worth a look, there are couple threads on different OL irons.

Welcome to THP!

I’ll second the Callaway Pre-Owned (or in THP lingo, CPO). I’ve bought dozens if not hundreds of clubs from them and they’ve always come through. The quality will probably surprise you. If buying from Global, they’re good too-but I would stay away from their lowest grade. Anything above that has always been in good shape. I’ve got some pretty ugly clubs in their lowest grade (value I think it is). Even Callaway’s lowest grade doesn’t scare me, unless it’s wedges. Their “like new” will probably come to you unhit and brand new.

i appreciate the quick responses guys. I will stay away from those uniflex shafts. i actually just found the callaway certified preowned website and am looking at that now. i am def not opposed to a used set for one because im not a pro and for two because i can save some money for sure ! i will check those out as well ! thanks for that tip !

i will check out your sites such as global golf as well and see what i can find. I am definitley not that great of a shot with my 5-4-3 iron and usually dont even use them.

I hit my 7 iron around 160 yards to answer that question

Welcome to THP, lots of experts to advise you!!! Someone is always willing to help!

i appreciate the quick responses guys. I will stay away from those uniflex shafts. i actually just found the callaway certified preowned website and am looking at that now. i am def not opposed to a used set for one because im not a pro and for two because i can save some money for sure ! i will check those out as well ! thanks for that tip !

i will check out your sites such as global golf as well and see what i can find. I am definitley not that great of a shot with my 5-4-3 iron and usually dont even use them.

I hit my 7 iron around 160 yards to answer that question

Given that I think Regular would probably be your best bet, but stiff could work as well. Not all 7i’s are created equal. I’m not familiar with the lofts of the set you currently have and today’s 7i is like 10 years ago 5-6i loft wise. For the most part they have been strengthened because better technology has allowed ball flight to still reach desired heights with stronger lofts.

And the less you spend on clubs means you have more to spend on the actual golf itself! :) Which is why I’m always looking for the deals.

Good afternoon guys,

Looking for a new set of clubs. Looking to get something above a cheap beginner set but with a good name and product. I am a tall guy, 6'6 and have a set of old XPC3 clubs that were made a little longer for me by one of my dads buddies. They are ok but i am not a good golfer to begin with.

I dont live near any shops to get custom fitted. But i was online reading how to measure yourself for club length etc and did the wrist measurement and it came to 36.75'' from floor to wrist which despite my size would put me in a regular length club to a club +.25"

i have been nosing around at the local dunhams and they have some good deals (or at least i think) going on. There is a set of Callaway X416 uniflex steel shaft irons on sale for $279.99 , taylormade aeroburner hl steel stiff for $399 , Cobra Fly Z steel Stiff irons for $250, or a set of Callaway X416 uniflex steel shaft irons with 2 combo irons for $320. Have also read about a cobra one length set but not sure if that would be a good idea or not?

I guess my question is what kind of shaft do i need? i do swing hard so do i need stiff, or will the Uniflex work ? and any thoughts on these sets being a good place to start or if the regular length club is ok for me ? I held them twice now and they seem ok to me. But then again im no expert !!

Hope to hear from some of you guys that know what youre doing ! thanks in advance!

If you are a beginner golfer I suggest finding a convenient driving range or golf course with driving range, and signing up for a lesson with a local PGA teaching instructor pro. He/she will help you with swing technique, give guidance for your practice, and also make equipment recommendations.

Here is a link to the PGA of America, which will provide names of your area PGA member instructors:

https://www.pga.com/solr-search/res...sort=score-desc&spotlight=true&context=pgapro

One more thing, you mentioned long irons struggles, which is usually one of the hardest things for new golfers to hit. Have you tried out hybrids? They are generally easier to hit and will give more consistent distance with mishits than long irons.

I appreciate the link to that set, but I def need something that wasn’t shorter than standard. I am considering the hybrids- I do have one in my old set that I have used

Does anyone know what I cant click on pictures to view them? I tried to click on the ones sent to me above in a link on those used clubs for sale and it says I don’t have permission. I also tried to put an ad in the classsified section saying I want to buy a set of clubs and it would not allow me. Thanks in advance

Does anyone know what I cant click on pictures to view them? I tried to click on the ones sent to me above in a link on those used clubs for sale and it says I don’t have permission. I also tried to put an ad in the classsified section saying I want to buy a set of clubs and it would not allow me. Thanks in advance

I’m not sure on the pictures, I know when I was new someone pointed me to the technical support forum (I think it’s clear at the bottom of the forum listings) and JB answered my questions very promptly. All Marketplace ads are moderated prior to posting, but I also think there is a minimum posts to place an ad, possibly? I could be thinking of another place and maybe it’s just waiting for MOD approval?

Back