Graphite shafts versus steel in irons what are the advantages?

Tandy

Reaction score
Handicap
Graphite shafts versus steel in a irons why go with graphite? Two things come to mind faster swing speed and less vibration. Any real life experience here with both and what is the advantage of having graphite shafts other than the two mentioned.

Well there are advantages in construction. Weight and flex can be obtained independently. You can have light and stiff, where as with steel going lighter will have an impact on flex.

In my opinion you can manipulate ball flight more through flag placement in composite materials as well. Here is @ddec asking this very question to #Fujikura

Here is R&D Expert Michael Vrska discussing how much weight plays a role in shafts and should.

Having played both, I currently have graphite in literally every club in my bag, including my putter.

For me it’s primarily comfort and vibration dampening. Like JB said though, there are a lot of benefits to graphite beyond just that.

That was quick thanks much, everything here I need to know!!

Graphite shafts versus steel in a irons why go with graphite? Two things come to mind faster swing speed and less vibration. Any real life experience here with both and what is the advantage of having graphite shafts other than the two mentioned.

My new custom set of Callaway Apex Forged 19s were fitted with graphite shafts. I've been playing Nippon Modus 3 105 and C-Taper Lite 110 variants of steels shafts, but the numbers, dispersion, and consistency of graphite I think is better than steel. Like the videos in one of the replies indicated, you can customize a lighter shaft to match any steel swing weight. My irons are being configured to D2 which feels like my current steel shafts even though it's over 10g lighter.

Here's a link to my fitting data.

Well there are advantages in construction. Weight and flex can be obtained independently. You can have light and stiff, where as with steel going lighter will have an impact on flex.

In my opinion you can manipulate ball flight more through flag placement in composite materials as well. Here is @ddec asking this very question to #Fujikura

Here is R&D Expert Michael Vrska discussing how much weight plays a role in shafts and should.

Two damn good videos there.

Arthritis in my upper arms prompted my switch to graphite in irons and wedges 4+ years ago. No regrets at all. Unlike before the switch, there has not been a day that I could play that I did not play due to pain. Experienced absolutely no performance degradation either.

FWIW, I just went from steel Cobra F8s to graphite F9s, and I can't see myself going back to steel. The new shafts just feel much better, and I'm still getting tons of nuanced feedback on mishits, just nothing bone-rattling anymore.

I stared with graphite because I liked the feel of it better. I was fitted to my current irons and graphite produced the best numbers. I had a hand injury a season or two ago and the graphite helps tremendously with avoiding pain. I seriously doubt I'll ever go back to steel again.

Graphite shafts versus steel in irons what are the advantages?

I was lucky enough to win a trip to shaft up a couple years ago. I had never used graphite for irons but I can honestly say I saw no drop in performance and my body feels much better after playing. I have back and neck issues and while my back issues aren’t totally eliminated, I can honestly say I do not feel like I’ve been in a car accident after playing golf and can play multiple days without issue now. UST recoils are amazing and perform fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I placed Recoils in my irons last winter and they were a life saver for me. I almost gave up golf as I hurt so bad after using steel shafts. Best move I ever made.

I didn't switch due to injury or any perceived advantage. I'd only tried graphite out of curiosity.

Today's offerings aren't like those of many years ago. Graphite in irons offers every bit the responsiveness, stability and repeatability as steel. Yet with (for me) improved feel and tangible vibration dampening.

I'll never go back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't switch due to injury or any perceived advantage. I'd only tried graphite out of curiosity.

Today's offerings aren't like those of many years ago. Graphite in irons offers every bit the responsiveness, stability and repeatability as steel. Yet with (for me) improved feel and tangible vibration dampening.

I'll never go back.

I will second all of this. Its going to be hard to switch me back to steel....I love mine.

For me it stated with Shaft Up. I was clueless on any advantages graphite might produce for me specifically outside of what I'd seen from previous participants. It was a game changer for me. Danny put me in a heavier weight that maintained flex and was so much easier on my body.

I have a set of graphite irons for extended indoor practice with my swing because they are easier on my body. For some reason I see better results with steel but I bet a good graphite fitting could change that.

I was going to go graphite in my irons, but ended up with lightweight steel and am very happy.

Back