Rory drops European Tour Status - Big Deal or No

KY Golfer

It's for Kentucky, Lol #Paradise4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
Obviously it somewhat of a blow to the European Tour. But how many players will follow and what is the future of the tour? I think it will be OK!!
He will still probably play the bigger events but I would assume he loses the option of playing in the Ryder Cup. I guess that's the only part that shocks me.

Obviously it somewhat of a blow to the European Tour. But how many players will follow and what is the future of the tour? I think it will be OK!!
He will still probably play the bigger events but I would assume he loses the option of playing in the Ryder Cup.

Isn't it just permanent status? I'm sure he's exempt from any event he wants and they'll let him play. And he'll play just enough to be in the Ryder cup I'm sure. It would be weird to me to not see him make/picked for the Ryder cup.

In terms of other players, there are a few that have done so recently as well. Brandon Grace just did the same this year as well. The condensed schedule of the PGA tour I think will push more to do so if they want to play/compete on the PGA tour at all.

Sounds like he may rejoin in May. But his earnings from this week on will not go toward the Race to Dubai.

I dont think it's a big deal or surprising. The PGA Tour is the show and the new schedule makes it really tough to be flying back and forth.

Is it true about the Ryder Cup? If the best European Players arent even eligible it removes the legitimacy of the Tournament IMO.

I'm sure he and his team have it figured out that, in the end, it will not jeopardize his Ryder Cup status. He will still play in the big events, probably just won't be obligated to play in X number of tournaments per year.

Not a big deal. Euro Tour will do just fine without him, as they have been doing, really.

I think it's only a big deal for headline purposes. But if you did deeper it seems it really is not much of an issue.

I think it's only a big deal for headline purposes. But if you did deeper it seems it really is not much of an issue.

Completely agree!!

Saw this on the wrx daily email today, I dont think it ends up being much of a deal in the grand scheme of thing as that tour will be just fine as it is with the players it has.

Doubt it will be a big issue for him.. as others said they probably did the research to be in just the right amount of events to make the Ryder cup

Wasn't he close to "retiring" a little while ago to be with his family too?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is there a new story on this?

He discussed it in November initially then met with the tour CEO and apparently agreed he'd play the minimum required to retain membership.

Even if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be back next year so he can qualify for the Ryder Cup.

Is there a new story on this?

He discussed it in November initially then met with the tour CEO and apparently agreed he'd play the minimum required to retain membership.

I guess he just made it official at his press conference this week in Mexico and as of now he has no membership. Sounds like he will rejoin eventually in order to meet the requirements for the Ryder Cup.

I am uncomfortable with this, as sponsors want Rory . If there are headlines about him missing out on Europe, then sponsors will walk. And that means the Tour suffers.

The US Tour is sucking the European Tour dry, and the European Tour has little to fight back with. The players go where the ranking points are, and loyalty is thin on the ground. South African and Aussie players have little reason to be loyal to a 'European' Tour, they are not from Europe. They will support home country events, especially as they do not clash with anything significant in USA.

Westwood hurt the US Tour when he went to world No 1 and did not agree to their conditions of membership. Kaymer and McIlroy were world No 2 and 3 and not members of the US Tour. The US Tour changed its rules to accommodate them, canning the 'Els rule' that required non US players to ask permission to play in non US events. They have vowed not to be in a position of weakness again, and the European Tour is suffering.

I don't think it's a big deal as I'm sure he'll play enough for the Ryder Cup.

I also wouldn't be shocked if he plays enough to retain it. I believe he only needs to add 2 or 3 to his schedule to fulfill it as WGC and Majors count towards the total anyways. With the PGA tour ending early now, I'm sure he'll add an event or two in September. The new PGA schedule sort of screwed over the guys looking to be one both tours now that it's so compressed.

I also heard part of the issue may be with the Irish Open. He has been removed/left being the headliner for it. I think there’s a bit more to the story that isn’t being told yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he isn’t a member of the European tour, he’s not eligible for the Ryder Cup which would suck! I assume he’ll rejoin next year to be eligible. I don’t blame him though. I don’t think it’s the PGA tour as such that is the big draw for European players. It’s the fact that 3 of the 4 and pretty much all the WGC events are now over here. If you’re at the top of your game, makes complete sense to base yourself over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back