THP Event Prep - Do you do it?

I have not played in a competitive event yet so to be honest, I can't tell. I believe I will practice more mainly because I don't want to let my prospective teammates down. The main area I would work on is the short game. Different courses and nerves equates to more missed greens than normal and I would still want to at least make the best score for my team that I could!

Hell yes.

I want more HoF tags. Always.

I am probably in the minority as well. I have a job and family and that limits the time I am willing to spend on the golf course. Event or not, I am always trying to improve my game through the limited practice time I allocate. I practice putting indoors and chipping in my backyard when I can't get to the course. If I were selected, my prep will probably be getting more familiar with the course and how I want to play the course. On the range, I would work on hitting the shots that I need to be successful on that course.

I certainly would put in a lot more short game practice. The couple of Events I have been in it was a definite weakness under pressure. Really just self induced pressure, but I felt it for sure.

The few big events I've been in I have certainly put in more effort otherwise for the invitational type events I normally play the day before or hit the range alittle more.

I did take just some short lessons for legacy but with my prep Im more or less just adding more practice to make myself more consistant. Im not trying to do a swing overhaul and knock 5 strokes off my hcp.

A short game for me unless it's something like the MC. I can generally find the fairway........ Sometimes.

Short game and putting is very handy in any event though.

Next time (hopefully there will be one) I think I will try to work harder on my long irons and long approaches though. These were pretty unreliable last time out.

JM

Hell yes.

I want more HoF tags. Always.

This sums it up for me quite nicely.

A short game for me unless it's something like the MC. I can generally find the fairway........ Sometimes.

Short game and putting is very handy in any event though.

Next time (hopefully there will be one) I think I will try to work harder on my long irons and long approaches though. These were pretty unreliable last time out.

JM

Johnny effing Fairway!

I'm always trying to hit the ball better than the day before, but getting into a THP Event turns my prep into high gear. Doesn't mean the results are always what I want but the extra effort is put in for sure.

I'm kinda right there with you buddy. Legit I'm one of those people that wants to hit the ball better on every single swing. Better than my previous one. I'm a range rat at heart and can just as much enjoyment out of a long positive range session as I can playing well on the course. There's nothing better than watching the ball flight exactly how you envision. I put in some ridiculous work prior to the Morgan Cup and played the best golf of my life down there. It was kind of eye opening for me last year to see how much talent I don't have and how hard I worked in 2014. I was fighting some swing changes last year but I've finally started to get back to "my" swing and make it work for me and just work on keeping the ball in front of me. As far as THP events go I work hard on my game every single day what extra prep I do is I make it a point to work on my short game a little extra leading up and I do a lot of "practice" rounds. I'll bring a shag bag with me to the course and hit different clubs from the tee and play in, I'll play worst ball with my self for a couple holes and really work on the putting, outside of that I work hard everyday and I'll be getting back to my form of 2013 this year.

I break out the thesaurus and stretch my fingers and wrists. I know my posting will increase.

Depends on the event. Nothing special for invitationals, etc. Morgan Cup & Grandaddy have had a plan behind them for prep.

This is pretty much me as well, especially if I've been playing regularly (I normally play 3 to 4 rounds a week). For most events, I work a little more on chipping and putting the week before the event. For a major, like the Morgan Cup was for me, it was a different story, with a detailed plan including lessons every two weeks, and more range time than actual playing.

I worked hard in Prep for the Grandaddy in 2014!
Normally, I try to play a lot of golf heading into THP events, so that I have an idea where I am swing wise.

Regionl Rivalry, I will be Doing Prep if I am a captains pick.

I have never prepared myself more for any event that the Gauntlet. It was my first ever THP event and I made sure that I was playing a ton of golf as well as working on the individual areas of my game that needed work. I spent countless hours on the putting green and chipping area to make sure my game was sharp. I think that it translated well to the event because I played great IMO...I love having something to look forward to and this year that event is the Grandaddy so my prep has already started and will continue throughout the year! I think that if you going to prep for anything you need to make sure you identify your weaknesses and make sure that you take care of those while maintaining your strengths!

When I get into an event, my practice time goes from virtually nothing to rather frequent. Short game is the biggest thing I work on in preparation for an event. I will also hit range balls on occasion which is a heck of a lot more than the no range balls I typically hit. I will still try to walk my normal 18 on both Saturdays and Sundays and try to work in some practice before those rounds or even on course if the course is not very crowded by throwing down a ball or two and practice a certain shot. Generally roll putts for about 30 minutes a night when I am home to work on my stroke.

While RR, will be my first THP event, I don't see my golf prep as changing. I've never been one to see improvement by beating balls at the range. I did win unlimited golf for the year, so that should up my golf rounds March-May. Once golf season starts though I will change my lifting regime from 5-6 days a week to 3-4 days a week to make more time for golf.

But in all actuality I have a wife and 4 four kids and a very hectic job so whatever plans I have to get 30-40 rounds in before June will be easily changed by other responsibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What stats are you guys setting for your goal, or not at all?
I want 1.69 putts per hole
60% GIR
275-280 yards as my typical drive according to game golf.
60% FIR
70% good drives (fir + missed fairways where you hit the green.)
50% scrambling

Currently all tracked game golf rounds, they are better if you take away out of season rounds.
273 typical
49% GIR
40% FIR
1.8 putts
30% scrambling

I work more on PPD and TPD
Posts per day and threads per day.

I don't think I'm going to change much leading up to regional rivalry. I'm going to continue going to my instructor every week until I move and playing as much golf as I can. Once I move I would like to get a membership somewhere that has a great practice facility so I can really work on my short game.

When I get into an event I do try and get in some range time for a few weeks prior to the event. Also try to work on putting, but that hasn't helped me a while lot the past few years.
This year, I just want to play pain free, event or not.

Getting into Legacy last year got me really focused on my prep. Since then I have taken that prep to my normal approach so that if picked again for another event I will be ready. Also it has made me a better player here at home too.

Since this is the first THP event I've signed up for, I'm not sure how I would prep until I've actually been chosen. I have prepared for similar events, such as golf league championships, club championships, etc. I need to walk a fine line of getting in good work while not over preparing. I have over prepared in the past and burned out prior to an event. Since I know the course that the RR is being played on very well, I can spend more time on preparing for specific aspects of my game that will suit the course. That being said, I always try to reach specific goals I set at the beginning of the season, and if I accomplish those goals I will be at peak performance in line with this event. July is always my target month to reach my goals.

The Gauntlet will be my first THP event. I'm definitely more motivated get better over the next couple of months. And really want to focus on improving the short game.

I will say ... I have hit Twitter and Instagram more in 2016 than I ever thought I would.

It's fun interacting with the various companies working with THP on social media.

I feel like I'm actually prepping for the gauntlet more so than anything I did last year. I will be starting lessons again hopefully next week and got new clubs on order so I have optimal time to get use to the distances.

Hahaha, love it! Will start including these in the What Did You Shoot today posts.

Back