Mid-size grips - How to know if they're right for you

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Question for the board...

I've always heard that grip size is based on hand size (length from tip of middle finger to wrist crease). I have 9 inch hands, meaning I should be playing mid-size grips based on this logic.

Are there any other factors, signs, etc to consider regarding grip size? I have a mid-size on my driver and standard on everything else, and hit them all fine. Also have a standard grip with a couple extra rolls of tape under it on my 2nd driver. But not sure if there is something I should look for regarding what grip size is right for me.

Thoughts/advice/insight? TIA!

I've always heard that grip size is based on hand size (length from tip of middle finger to wrist crease). I have 9 inch hands, meaning I should be playing mid-size grips based on this logic.

Are there any other factors, signs, etc to consider regarding grip size? I have a mid-size on my driver and standard on everything else, and hit them all fine. Also have a standard grip with a couple extra rolls of tape under it on my 2nd driver. But not sure if there is something I should look for regarding what grip size is right for me.

Measurements are guidelines.

In theory a smaller grip can help to close the club face faster and a larger grip might keep the face open.

The only real way to know is try it. Maybe when you need to regrip, try a midsize on a few clubs.

If what you have is comfortable and you don't have arthritis etc, just hang tight. Save your $$$ until the next regrip.

Play some rounds of golf with different size grips and you will learn which grip size is best for you.
Regardless of hand size, I think most players find that a larger diameter grip (either a manufactured midsize or oversize or one built up with extra layers of tape), does promote lighter grip pressure. For making consistently good golf swings, lighter grip pressure is helpful.

I was measured for midsize based on hand size, but they felt too weird to me. I like standard+2 wraps, but try out a couple things to see what feels comfortable for you.

Get fitted for clubs and for grips!

I have smaller hands and have played standard for years. I tried a +4 which is midsize at the end of last year and they just felt better to me. No major differences to me as of yet. All in preference I guess.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Measurements are guidelines.

In theory a smaller grip can help to close the club face faster and a larger grip might keep the face open.

The only real way to know is try it. Maybe when you need to regrip, try a midsize on a few clubs.

If what you have is comfortable and you don't have arthritis etc, just hang tight. Save your $$$ until the next regrip.

This is an interesting point. I play a natural draw, except my driver has a tendency to fade. Always wondered why. Now I'm curious if the reason is because it's the only club I have with a mid-size grip. I might take it to the range as well as my 2nd driver that has a standard grip + a couple extra layers of tape and compare the results. Good food for thought. Thanks!

I was measured for midsize based on hand size, but they felt too weird to me. I like standard+2 wraps, but try out a couple things to see what feels comfortable for you.

Get fitted for clubs and for grips!

Yeah, sometimes the mid-size on my driver feels a bit odd, but nothing too crazy. I've hit an iron with a mid-size, and it felt really weird, like I had no control of the club through my hands.

Have to echo that the sizing measurements are guidelines only. It's all about feel. I experimented with a dozen combinations a couple of years ago and settled into mid-size with 2 wraps. Today, I'm playing standard with 1 wrap because it feels the best for me right now. Now my wife, who's 5'8" 115lbs, plays standard grips with 3 wraps because that's what feels the best for her. All about the individual.

Another thing to add, different companies midsize vary massively. Pure Grips USA are much thinner than lamkin crossline midsize.

Another thing to add, different companies midsize vary massively. Pure Grips USA are much thinner than lamkin crossline midsize.

Great point!!! I ran across this during my tinkering!!

Back