Live Update Thread & Contest - UST February Shaft Spectacular

I think I missed 2 fairways all day and 1 of the 2 was still a good drive.

12 of 14 with the new driver/shaft combo. Crazy.

Longer than you're used to?

His Titleist was 46". Callaway XR 16 was built to 45.5". With the combination, we were able to keep the left side out of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it seems like the trip was worth it! Congrats on the new weapon, use in good health!

If Nate switches out of that combo anytime soon, I would be shocked.

Danny

Thanks for the updates guys looks like you had a blast!

Not longer, same distance (although a few today I questioned that exact thought cause they were long) but dispersion is much tighter.

If Nate switches out of that combo anytime soon, I would be shocked.

Danny

Shocked or ready to shoot me?

I didn't get to follow along live but just got caught up. Some really great videos and updates. Looked like a blast out there today.

Nate that's fantastic 12/14. Great job. Danny your the man.

These updates were awesome! Great shooting Danny and Nate!!

Looks like everyone had a blast today! Thanks for the awesome coverage!

Nate that's fantastic 12/14. Great job. Danny your the man.

He is da man and I can't state this enough. Best fitting I've received and probably ever will receive.

You boys need to be signing up for these last remaining 8 spots!

Looks like a great time......hope I get a chance to experience it first hand

Finally had the chance to read this thread.

Lindsay's pink Recoils are sweet but the black THP versions are just bad @$$.
Thanks everyone for the updates. The pics an videos were great. It looked like everyone had a bad a blast.

Thanks to everyone at UST Mamiya for taking the time out of your busy schedules and to THP for making the arrangements so this event could happen.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the updates and videos. I love watching videos of whats happening.

UST laid it all out for you guys and what an experience you had. So much AWESOME in this thread.

I'm going to sort of jump around and quick hit on our time with Danny, Lindsay and UST going forward. So no better place to start than with the big dog!

The afternoon portion of our visit broke out into 2 areas; 1 of us would spend time with Danny in the fitting area while the other sat down with Lindsay and the UST designers and come up with a custom shaft. My time with Danny was just fantastic. I don't believe I've ever hit on a Trackman before but I know it's a very expensive piece of equipment.

I warmed up a bit and we went straight to the driver. I hit 4 or 5 drives with my current gamer (Titleist D2 915 9.5) to establish the baseline. Explained to Danny that my miss was a pull left (which I demonstrated on command on the first few) and/or a cutter that over cut. Then was handed the Callaway XR 16 with a UST Elements proto, XS. First off the Callaway XR16 head felt fantastic. So forgiving across the face and you could really feel it. After a few more swings Danny changed out the shaft and replaced it with a Elements proto platinum XS (about 69g) which was a little heavier than the first. Danny explained how the extra weight for me would help in my transition down to the ball.

The shaft felt fantastic and really together during my swing. I've really never played a XS in my clubs just for the fear of them being to "boardy". Not the case here at all. I was getting about 10 degrees of loft but Danny was ok with that because the ball was carrying plenty far. My spin was between 2,000 and 2,500 which normally I'm in the 3,000's. Danny added some lead tape to the toe of the XR16 which basically eliminated the left miss.

I would say that my driver fitting took about 15 minutes with Danny (maybe less). He knew after a few hits what I needed and how to make a few tweaks to achieve what I wanted. 10 degrees of loft, 2,000 to 2,500 spin rates and some nice bombs with the big dog. He took the XR16 head and added about 6g of weight to the toe directly inside the driver head with some hot looking waxy type substance (drill and everything). Sounded like I was in the dentist office. Slapped the shaft back on and said it was ready to go!

12 of 14 fairways hit the following day and the left side basically taken out of play. Really felt I could go after the drive and not worry about turning the club over too quickly. I don't know what more to say?! I knew after the first few holes that this was going to be something special.

Danny is truly the shaft whisperer.

AD141DB4-3B7F-4003-B15B-056BFDD00DED_zpsrxdmbtzd.jpg

Shane fitting

66FB5B71-D816-418B-B582-C29C6DDAD548_zpsiyuzwsu5.jpg

New Bomber 10.5

A3063CA0-1319-4C81-95F9-703DE54AFF4D_zpsdloqz8uc.jpg

Elements Prototype Platinum 69g XS 45.5 PT6F5

5FDF59BC-0EFD-41D0-940B-967253F3D15F_zpsobeptg5b.jpg

Last edited:
Let's play soon, I want to see that new driver in action!

This process is so freaking cool

I'm going to sort of jump around and quick hit on our time with Danny, Lindsay and UST going forward. So no better place to start than with the big dog!

The afternoon portion of our visit broke out into 2 areas; 1 of us would spend time with Danny in the fitting area while the other sat down with Lindsay and the UST designers and come up with a custom shaft. My time with Danny was just fantastic. I don't believe I've ever hit on a Trackman before but I know it's a very expensive piece of equipment.

I warmed up a bit and we went straight to the driver. I hit 4 or 5 drives with my current gamer (Titleist D2 915 9.5) to establish the baseline. Explained to Danny that my miss was a pull left (which I demonstrated on command on the first few) and/or a cutter that over cut. Then was handed the Callaway XR 16 with a UST Elements proto, XS. First off the Callaway XR16 head felt fantastic. So forgiving across the face and you could really feel it. After a few more swings Danny changed out the shaft and replaced it with a Elements proto platinum XS (about 69g) which was a little heavier than the first. Danny explained how the extra weight for me would help in my transition down to the ball.

The shaft felt fantastic and really together during my swing. I've really never played a XS in my clubs just for the fear of them being to "boardy". Not the case here at all. I was getting about 10 degrees of loft but Danny was ok with that because the ball was carrying plenty far. My spin was between 2,000 and 2,500 which normally I'm in the 3,000's. Danny added some lead tape to the toe of the XR16 which basically eliminated the left miss.

I would say that my driver fitting took about 15 minutes with Danny (maybe less). He knew after a few hits what I needed and how to make a few tweaks to achieve what I wanted. 10 degrees of loft, 2,000 to 2,500 spin rates and some nice bombs with the big dog. He took the XR16 head and added about 6g of weight to the toe directly inside the driver head with some hot looking waxy type substance (drill and everything). Sounded like I was in the dentist office. Slapped the shaft back on and said it was ready to go!

12 of 14 fairways hit the following day and the left side basically taken out of play. Really felt I could go after the drive and not worry about turning the club over too quickly. I don't know what more to say?! I knew after the first few holes that this was going to be something special.

Danny is truly the shaft whisperer.

AD141DB4-3B7F-4003-B15B-056BFDD00DED_zpsrxdmbtzd.jpg

Shane fitting

66FB5B71-D816-418B-B582-C29C6DDAD548_zpsiyuzwsu5.jpg

New Bomber 10.5

A3063CA0-1319-4C81-95F9-703DE54AFF4D_zpsdloqz8uc.jpg

Elements Prototype Platinum 69g XS 45.5 PT6F5

5FDF59BC-0EFD-41D0-940B-967253F3D15F_zpsobeptg5b.jpg

I couldn't follow along live like I wanted to, but I just read through the entire thread. Talk about the royal treatment for you and Shane. The videos and updates were fantastic. One question though: do I need to be worried about you hitting it past me off the tee now?

I couldn't follow along live like I wanted to, but I just read through the entire thread. Talk about the royal treatment for you and Shane. The videos and updates were fantastic. One question though: do I need to be worried about you hitting it past me off the tee now?

Quick answer - No

But I have a chance at being straighter now!

Nate you mentioned how they added weight to the toe of the driver head to eliminate the left side...just hoping you could speak to this a little bit. How much weight did they add? How big a difference did it make? Did it drastically change the feel of the club?

Nate- you were pretty confident in your previous driver and seemed satisfied with what you were seeing in that set-up. Obviously being fit by a pro is ideal, but for those of us who do not have that option, after this experience what advice would you give to someone if you were with them while they were buying a driver (or any other club)?

Same question for Shane...

Nate you mentioned how they added weight to the toe of the driver head to eliminate the left side...just hoping you could speak to this a little bit. How much weight did they add? How big a difference did it make? Did it drastically change the feel of the club?

Added about 6 grams with some injected waxy like substance. This now helps keep the toe from turning too quickly on the downswing and helps keep the face open just a bit longer for my swing and preferred shot shape. No noticeable difference in feel from the extra weight.

Nate- you were pretty confident in your previous driver and seemed satisfied with what you were seeing in that set-up. Obviously being fit by a pro is ideal, but for those of us who do not have that option, after this experience what advice would you give to someone if you were with them while they were buying a driver (or any other club)?

Same question for Shane...

First, I was in the wrong flex from the start. Second I needed a bit more weight for my swing. Third I needed more loft. While I did hit the previous driver well my dispersion has greatly improved with some tweaks and improvements. Dispersion was the main focus in this fitting however the distance did not suffer in the process.

Added about 6 grams with some injected waxy like substance. This now helps keep the toe from turning too quickly on the downswing and helps keep the face open just a bit longer for my swing and preferred shot shape. No noticeable difference in feel from the extra weight.

First, I was in the wrong flex from the start. Second I needed a bit more weight for my swing. Third I needed more loft. While I did hit the previous driver well my dispersion has greatly improved with some tweaks and improvements. Dispersion was the main focus in this fitting however the distance did not suffer in the process.

So I'm guessing before you had 60g stiff flex? Amazing what going to a 70ish gram shaft and stiffer flex does for dispersion. Definitely helps get the club on plane in the downswing

So I'm guessing before you had 60g stiff flex? Amazing what going to a 70ish gram shaft and stiffer flex does for dispersion. Definitely helps get the club on plane in the downswing

Around that. Danny wanted a bit heavier to help slow down my transition at the top of my swing. I think your right, it's just keeping the head and swing more online throughout the shot process.

Nate - great update re: fitting! Amazing what a shaft can do, especially with the forgiveness of current heads! Looks like a Big Time Monster has been created!!

Looking forward to Shane's thoughts re: fitting.

Back