2019 Kentucky Derby Thread

KY Golfer

It's for Kentucky, Lol #Paradise4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
We are vastly approaching my favorite time of year. I can add the Players Championship since it was moved to March, The Masters,
NCAA Basketball Tournament (UK), and most of all the Kentucky Derby. It's a month long party here in Louisville and one I try and take part
in as much as I can. In another week or so, some of the bigger Derby Prep races begin and lead us all the way up to the first Saturday in May.
Any other Pony lovers out here in THP land? Anyone come to Louisville? Got any stories if you have been before?

I've been to a few throughout the years. My favorite was 2001. Winner was Monarchos. My Wife's Boss gave his 5 employees tickets to the
Barnstable Brown Party (One of the main Parties that the Celebrities come in for), and box seats at the finish line on Derby day. As a Louisville
kid, it doesn't get much better. I still get chills every time My Old Kentucky Home is played. Now the family throws a big party every year and
with the online betting, I'd rather not fight the crowds.

Last edited:
I went in 2012. It was a great experience. I'd love to go again but it is expensive. We did the Oaks and the Derby from the Grandstand seats. It was fun to go in a suit and fedora and act like a high roller.

What a race and finish?!?!?

@JB might have a collectors item on his hands with that bottle of Bourbon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. Maybe. Thanks to KY Golfer

Haha. Maybe. Thanks to KY Golfer

You mean Black Cobra!

Hmm, that would be a great horse name!

I love it! Mainly because I have no rooting interest other than for fun. Could you imagine thinking you’ve won only to be Dq’d?? That would suuuuck

I love it! Mainly because I have no rooting interest other than for fun. Could you imagine thinking you’ve won only to be Dq’d?? That would suuuuck

Just in awe that horse racing is better instant replay than the NFL!

Signed,
Angry Saints Fan!

Just in awe that horse racing is better instant replay than the NFL!

Signed,
Angry Saints Fan!

I think the saints play was more egregious than this too! Haha

It is weird... my dad and I watch a lot of horse racing and it was definitely a foul that really cost War of Will who was charging on the outside... this impacted 2 or 3 other horses that had a chance to challenge MS down the stretch, and really only left country house... who wasn't game.

Just my opinion, country house wouldn't have won, BUT the DQ was warranted... War of Will is truly the horse that got robbed IMO, not Maximum Security.

Last edited:
you win but you really didn't

applies to 2 horses today

you win but you really didn't

applies to 2 horses today
I don't know, you can't swing 2 to 3 lanes wide, bump a horse that is rallying and expect to stay on top. I thought it was telling that the jockey was making excuses for it BEFORE there was an inquiry.

Country House wasn't going to win, but there were 2-3 other horses that were snuffed out by Max Security's move... which can't happen IMO. I was a little surprised at the DQ, I thought maybe they'd bump MS down to 2nd or 3rd...

I had a $2 win ticket on Country House. Lol.

I had a $2 win ticket on Country House. Lol.

Sweet! Congrats :)

I wish I could have watched live. Had it PVr’d though and my wife had seen spoilers on twitter so sat there telling me to wait for the excitement. Live I actually commented on how wide it broke, so wasn’t surprised by the challenge. I WAS surprised by the DQ. Was a bad flare out but bc the 2nd place horse (Country House) wasn’t the aggrieved party, the perpetrator was clearly the best horse, and it was such a huge race, I thought they’d let it slide. Crazy. Can’t argue with the DQ. One of those situations where it’s fine either way.

Sweet! Congrats :)

I wish I could have watched live. Had it PVr’d though and my wife had seen spoilers on twitter so sat there telling me to wait for the excitement. Live I actually commented on how wide it broke, so wasn’t surprised by the challenge. I WAS surprised by the DQ. Was a bad flare out but bc the 2nd place horse (Country House) wasn’t the aggrieved party, the perpetrator was clearly the best horse, and it was such a huge race, I thought they’d let it slide. Crazy. Can’t argue with the DQ. One of those situations where it’s fine either way.
Do you think War of Will could have made a play if not for the flare that caused him to stumble into another horse?

Do you think War of Will could have made a play if not for the flare that caused him to stumble into another horse?

There were a couple of horses there that were right in it and had to pull up getting bumped from the flare out. I don’t remember which horse, but 1 for sure was accelerating when bumped.

Back