Driver Shaft Extensions

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
Long story short.**I bought a shaft for a decent price.**I posed the question about a possible extension and think I had a mental block when I read the response about the seller not being sure.**I think I just saw what I wanted to see.**When the shaft came in, I pulled the grip to swap it with a standard size and found that there was a 1.5" extension in the butt.**The extension was excessively taped and when I removed the tape, I saw why.**The epoxy must have failed and it slid right out.**As the buyer stated that he couldn't guarantee that there wasn't one and I just completely bungled reading that reply, he is in no way at fault.**It's all on me.***

Installed as-is with no extension, the playing length would be 44".**That would be at least an inch shorter than I could use.**Ideally, I wanted 45.5", but could live with 45".**Given the fact that the extension came loose once already, does that indicate that 1.5" is too long?**I haven't had an extension in a shaft for about a decade.**The one thing I can remember from the last time is that it kept coming loose.**FWIW, my swing speed is pretty fast (120+).**My transition is relatively smooth for my speed.**Would an extension at that speed just be a bad idea in general?*

Is there any difference in playing characteristics when you go over an inch?**I see varying answers online.**My options are extend to 45.5", take a safer but less ideal playing route of 45", or just cut my losses and sell the shaft for what I can get for it and try to find something else.**The only issue, is that I kind of have a price range I have to stay in and this is the first Diamana BF 60TX I found that was in the range.**If I could somehow get back what I paid, I would still be short on replacing it with the same shaft.**

On a side note, it did come with a Callaway red dot adapter which was a nice surprise.**

Really sick about this. It's my fault for being stupid. I doubt I'll be able to get what I have into it back if I resell it. After buying the Epic Flash SZ for 5 bills, my wife has little patience for me dipping into the old bank account for more purchases. I just happened to have a couple hundred bucks sitting in eBay and really wanted to try this shaft.

Just interested in some thoughts and open to suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the existing extension maybe came loose because it was too small. I tell you what. I was so excited to unbox this shaft. It is absolutely gorgeous. My heart sank when I saw this.
884ecc8dcbce2cf09d7d87b7ae543752.jpg
78ad69027f32ebc8091d95e931a96115.jpg

you should be able to strip the epoxy and re-do it properly. 1.5" is pushing it but should hold with that insertion depth

however it should not be wiggling around, that would mean it is too small

you can get a graphite extension gauge and the proper sizes from golfworks

Some of the cheaper plastic extensions such as that don't fit very well. Get a decent one, strip the old epoxy out of the shaft, rough up the fit area of the new one and epoxy it in. Cut to desired length once the epoxy has cured.

Yeah, I saw those. Not sure how to measure the internal diameter though.

Yeah, I saw those. Not sure how to measure the internal diameter though.

All else fails, you can send me the shaft and I'll fix it for ya.

All else fails, you can send me the shaft and I'll fix it for ya.
Thanks for offering. I'll see about getting it figured out here. I need to start doing some club work on my own.

I'm really curious if and how a 1.5" extension may impact how the shaft plays. I am still on the fence about just cutting my losses and selling it for what I can get out if it. I'm such a mental case sometimes. It'll bug me to no end if I think I'm leaving something on the table.

If you are contemplating a 2.5-3" extension, I'd just get a new shaft.

If you are contemplating a 2.5-3" extension, I'd just get a new shaft.
1.5" max. But even that seems like a lot. 1/2" wouldn't be a problem. Just seemed like a big failure point.

There was a 2" extension in a club I bought used. After getting the extension replaced three times I just bought a new shaft.

I'm not sure at what length an extension is too long but I can say as soon as you can truly leverage it, it's too long.

My recommendation is get a new shaft since having a club fail in hands sucks.

There was a 2" extension in a club I bought used. After getting the extension replaced three times I just bought a new shaft.

I'm not sure at what length an extension is too long but I can say as soon as you can truly leverage it, it's too long.

I've always heard from the experts not to exceed 2". I have never liked th idea of going over 1", personally. I'm playing 1/2" extensions in my irons right now and you can even tell they're there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've always heard from the experts not to exceed 2". I have never liked th idea of going over 1", personally. I'm playing 1/2" extensions in my irons right now and you can even tell they're there.

I'd do half inch in the irons without any worry. In fact, I'm considering doing so in my current set.

I have some extra Lamkin grips lying around. So, I put the extension back in place, taped it well enough to hold it temporarily, and put a grip on it just to get a feel for the length. Apparently, my current shaft plays closer to 45" than it does 45.5". This thing is just too long at this length. SW feels a little heavier than I'd like. I think my plan will be to get a half inch extension installed in it to get it to 44.5" and get some extra weights to get the swing weight back up. That way I'll have a slightly longer than 45" and a fairway finder at 44.5" to mess around with.

Just a mess. If I would have known this, I wouldn't have paid this much and I would have gone heavier. Live and learn I suppose.

I would love to do that. But, this purchase pretty much extinguished my equipment budget for the year. Unless I can sell it for close to what I have into it, I'm pretty much stuck with it for now

I think my plan will be to get a half inch extension installed in it to get it to 44.5"...

You just mean cut the current extension down to 44.5", right?

You just mean cut the current extension down to 44.5", right?

I'll replace it. The epoxy failed and it was loose when I took the group off. It was actually being held down by tape. I'm assuming it wasn't thick enough. Going to try and find out what specific size I need to order from golfworks and have that installed.

I'll replace it. The epoxy failed and it was loose when I took the group off. It was actually being held down by tape. I'm assuming it wasn't thick enough. Going to try and find out what specific size I need to order from golfworks and have that installed.

Gotcha. I forgot that part. Too bad you're not closer. We could hook that up in a few mimutes.

That 1.5" extension is just under your top hand, including what is inside the shaft. It won't change the profile of that shaft much, if at all. I'd just install a new extension, cut it to the length you want, grip it, and rip it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That 1.5" extension is just under your top hand, including what is inside the shaft. It won't change the profile of that shaft much, if at all. I'd just install a new extension, cut it to the length you want, grip it, and rip it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It could definitely be a mental thing. Just felt different for some reason.

It could definitely be a mental thing. Just felt different for some reason.

Yeah... it was loose and moving around. Not to mention those cheap extensions are a little small on the OD as well. :D

I’ve used the Golf Works oversized extension a few times without any problems. But it has to be sanded to fit and I make them snug. Plus I use a Dremel to cut a few shallow channels in the extension to give the epoxy a place to bite. They are a couple bucks each at Golf Galaxy/PGA Tour SS.

Back