what do you hit better irons or woods/ driver?

ohio_striker

striped it
Reaction score
Handicap
i have noticed that people usually are better hitting one or the other not really both.

why do you think that is the case ? AOA ? different paths into the ball?

when i am playing well i usually keep my driver and woods in play they are what i struggle with. if i have a look at the green and playing well my irons are usually spot on.

I'm a better iron player. I tend to stay withing myself more when hitting irons. Misses are also minimized vs hitting longer clubs so that helps with confidence.

Irons no question

Woods. Suppose that's why I carry as many hybrids as I do, because I don't really like irons! Never have.

irons and driver are pretty equal in terms of control and contact, but fairway woods and hybrids are totally worse.

I'm a 25 HDCP ... I don't hit any of them well! Honestly though, probably my irons. I can't hit a fairway wood unless it's tee'd up, and even then I'm tickled pink if it manages to go in the direction I intended.

I'm a better iron player. I tend to stay withing myself more when hitting irons. Misses are also minimized vs hitting longer clubs so that helps with confidence.

i read an article about hitting driver that might be helpful they were saying we have a distance for about every club except driver. you know for an example you know your 8 iron goes 150 yards you dont try to hit it 175 yards.

when we hit driver we dont really have a distance its as far as we can hit it. golfers would be better to have a comfortable distance say 250 yards for example and try and hit it to that distance rather then try and hit it as far as we can. yea you might pipe one 275 one time but it would be more detrimental to your game than a a bunch of 250 yard drives in play.

Probly irons for me. I have always liked hitting irons. I feel much more comfortable hitting my driver now but I went years without hitting it because I was so bad.
With fairway woods I have basically turned into the chuck Knoblach of golf and just can't hit them anymore. It is more of a mental thing then a physical thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i read an article about hitting driver that might be helpful they were saying we have a distance for about every club except driver. you know for an example you know your 8 iron goes 150 yards you dont try to hit it 175 yards.

when we hit driver we dont really have a distance its as far as we can hit it. golfers would be better to have a comfortable distance say 250 yards for example and try and hit it to that distance rather then try and hit it as far as we can. yea you might pipe one 275 one time but it would be more detrimental to your game than a a bunch of 250 yard drives in play.

it's not a bad point. I mean I know in my mind what my driver goes on good strikes, where it goes on bad strikes, that number is a crap shoot. I used to be pretty good with the driver, but man those days just seem to be getting further away now. Last year I had a stretch of maybe 2 months where it was the best club in my bag. I could point out a target and hit it, and the distances where much longer than the previous years. Then it became more mixed bag again.

I'd tend to tell you irons, and I think that's my answer. However, as of late I've been hitting my woods and hybrids really well during rounds as compared to my irons.

Last year it was irons. Right now it's driver and 4w.

It's different every day hahaha

Typically it's irons though, particularly mid and short irons.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am a better iron player. I tend to try and "kill" my woods where irons missing much smoother

Although I have my "what was that" moments I'm better with the driver and short irons. Even the mid irons can be a challenge some days!

Same for me, even if my driver swing is all over the place, I seem to be able to slow down my iron play and keep it going.

(Then again, other days, none of the swings work!)

I am actually going to say that I hit irons and FW's with relatively the same success, and both are better than my driver.

7-iron and lower. 6-iron and up; the longer the club, the dicier the result.

Tends to vary with me, but generally, I'd be better with my driver than irons.

I'm terrible at both, but if I had to pick, I'd go with driver.

I am just a terrible, terrible iron player.

It varies from round to round unfortunately. I guess that's why I'm still in double digits.

If wedges are included in with irons, it is probably a toss up for me. If just iron set, I would go with driver / woods.

I generally hit my driver, hybrids, and irons pretty well. The fairway wood can be an occasional mystery for me, right now.

In general I am significantly better with irons, but lately I have been better with my driver and Mini. I can't hit a fairway wood or hybrid at all, though.

I'm terrible at both, but if I had to pick, I'd go with driver.

I am just a terrible, terrible iron player.

we are going to change that this year.

Driver for me. I know it goes about 240-250 and +/- 20 yards off the intended target. That's going to be in the fairway or just off 95% of the time. With irons the target is so much smaller being 10 yards right or left, short or long can ruin a hole. I can easily be in a bunker or lake and will than make a bogey or double.

Back