Srixon Z585/Z785 recs and advice

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Pretty "open ended" question here for the board.

Through work, I can get a significant discount on various golf brands. One of the best I get, and a personal favorite, is Srixon/Cleveland. I'm getting fit for irons this weekend at a local shop for the best option available within this brand. I want to have a little bit of knowledge about the different sets going into it.

-I know the Z 585 irons are more of the "forgiveness" irons in the Srixon line. From what I can tell, they are somewhere between player and game improvement. They are larger, cavity back, and offer forgiveness, but what I've read, they aren't the massive/clunky true "game improvement" irons. I believe this is kind of similar to where my current irons (Ping I-25's) fall into. They are smaller and compact like player irons and look that way at address, but offer a little more forgiveness and responsiveness than most player sets.

-The Z 785 irons seem to be more of the player's iron. Smaller face and more for shot shaping. However, from photos and specs, they seem to be closer in size to my Ping I-25's than the Z 585's are.

-I'm definitely not a Z-Forged guy. Not a good enough player to have forged blades.

I'm curious to see which iron set is closer to my current iron set. From what I've read, I believe they fall somewhere between the Z 585 and Z 785 lines.

I definitely want something that offers some forgiveness, but I DO NOT want a true "game improvement" set. I hate big, clunky, gaudy irons that look like something NASA designed for space launch. I had a set of Wilson D200's at one point. My natural slight draw turned into an all-out hook with these. Too much offset and too much weight in the toe slamming the club face closed. Terrible terrible terrible fit for me.

Although it sounds like the 585's would be the right fit, I'm somewhat leary of them because they constantly appear in "game improvement" categories, which I do not want. They seem to have less offset and be less chunky/bulky than most game improvement irons. Am I right in this assessment? I'm wondering if a combo set will ultimately be something that the fitter recommends. We'll see.

Another point of note - my current irons have a less-rounded leading edge and fairly flat camber. I have a steeper swing and tend to hit down on the ball. This leads to some digging with my current irons from time to time. Hoping something in the Srixon line is a little more rounded and can help aid this problem.

Overall, am I on the right track regarding these irons? Anything I'm missing or need to consider? Any advice/insight/recommendations? I know the fitter will point me in the right direction. This guy has been named one of America's top 100 fitters by Golf Digest as well as one of the top 50 shaft technologists. I fully trust him. But at the same time, I want to have a general grasp on Srixon irons and not walk in completely blind for my fitting. What say you, THP?

TIA!

You can't go wrong with either set of a combo if you need more forgiveness in the longer irons. You really need to see them in person and just hit both to make that decision.

Pretty "open ended" question here for the board.

Through work, I can get a significant discount on various golf brands. One of the best I get, and a personal favorite, is Srixon/Cleveland. I'm getting fit for irons this weekend at a local shop for the best option available within this brand. I want to have a little bit of knowledge about the different sets going into it.

-I know the Z 585 irons are more of the "forgiveness" irons in the Srixon line. From what I can tell, they are somewhere between player and game improvement. They are larger, cavity back, and offer forgiveness, but what I've read, they aren't the massive/clunky true "game improvement" irons. I believe this is kind of similar to where my current irons (Ping I-25's) fall into. They are smaller and compact like player irons and look that way at address, but offer a little more forgiveness and responsiveness than most player sets.

-The Z 785 irons seem to be more of the player's iron. Smaller face and more for shot shaping. However, from photos and specs, they seem to be closer in size to my Ping I-25's than the Z 585's are.

-I'm definitely not a Z-Forged guy. Not a good enough player to have forged blades.

I'm curious to see which iron set is closer to my current iron set. From what I've read, I believe they fall somewhere between the Z 585 and Z 785 lines.

I definitely want something that offers some forgiveness, but I DO NOT want a true "game improvement" set. I hate big, clunky, gaudy irons that look like something NASA designed for space launch. I had a set of Wilson D200's at one point. My natural slight draw turned into an all-out hook with these. Too much offset and too much weight in the toe slamming the club face closed. Terrible terrible terrible fit for me.

Although it sounds like the 585's would be the right fit, I'm somewhat leary of them because they constantly appear in "game improvement" categories, which I do not want. They seem to have less offset and be less chunky/bulky than most game improvement irons. Am I right in this assessment? I'm wondering if a combo set will ultimately be something that the fitter recommends. We'll see.

Another point of note - my current irons have a less-rounded leading edge and fairly flat camber. I have a steeper swing and tend to hit down on the ball. This leads to some digging with my current irons from time to time. Hoping something in the Srixon line is a little more rounded and can help aid this problem.

Overall, am I on the right track regarding these irons? Anything I'm missing or need to consider? Any advice/insight/recommendations? I know the fitter will point me in the right direction. This guy has been named one of America's top 100 fitters by Golf Digest as well as one of the top 50 shaft technologists. I fully trust him. But at the same time, I want to have a general grasp on Srixon irons and not walk in completely blind for my fitting. What say you, THP?

TIA!

I'd say from experience with the brand, the i25's will actually be right in between the 785 and 585 IMO. 585's definitely aren't as big as some of the other game improvement irons out there, and size wise probably wouldn't be much different than the i25's I'd say. the 7's are fairly narrow with a cavity, but seem to be decently (relative) forgiving from experience, as I personally play the 765's. If you like your i25's, you might be ok with either of the 785 or 585, but the 585 are going to launch a big higher and spin a bit less from experience due to the design. Either way you'd be getting a great set, as I feel Srixon make some of the best irons on the market.

I'd say from experience with the brand, the i25's will actually be right in between the 785 and 585 IMO. 585's definitely aren't as big as some of the other game improvement irons out there, and size wise probably wouldn't be much different than the i25's I'd say. the 7's are fairly narrow with a cavity, but seem to be decently (relative) forgiving from experience, as I personally play the 765's. If you like your i25's, you might be ok with either of the 785 or 585, but the 585 are going to launch a big higher and spin a bit less from experience due to the design. Either way you'd be getting a great set, as I feel Srixon make some of the best irons on the market.

Thanks for the insight. The more I read, the more I believe a 585/785 combo set will be what is ultimately recommended by the fitter. Especially since the most trouble I have with my current set is long irons. My biggest point of interest will be how well the bounce/sole/camber of the Srixon irons all mesh with my steeper swing and AOA. Can't wait until Saturday for my fitting. Thanks again!

Something else I've noticed today regarding the Z 585 irons.. on Golf Digest's 2019 Hot List, irons are broken down into 4 categories - Players, Players Distance, Game Improvement, and Super Game Improvement. The Z 585's are considered "Player Distance." Maybe these are more in between "player" and "game improvement" than I thought. Moreover, my Ping I-25's are on the 2014 Hot List as Player Irons, which is interesting to me considering they have pretty decent forgiveness.

Just a thought. I recently purchased the 565's, numbers are nearly identical to the 585's at half the price. However their are many different shaft options with the newer model. Sets are still available at many outlets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Also, don't get caught up in the game improvement tag. The 565's are closer to a players iron then other manufacturers players clubs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back