Fundraiser: need some opinions

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright forum, a friend of mine is doing a fundraiser for a local facility that hosts Wounded Warriors and asked me to put together a small project he could use for raffle or silent auction.

I elected to put together a couple jewelry/keepsake boxes, one in maple, one in walnut. Personally I am a fan of contrasting woods in projects and these are two of my favorites to use together. But I know not everyone likes that look, so I'm leaving it up to you the forum to decide. Here are a few pics of the items in question, one of each in single species, and a couple different contrasting looks:

909fee9f2cc26eef868ccd4c2309ffd5.jpg

04ff089ecf71fbf684a56380e4adc994.jpg

98a8e62a2e7a2b1f8fe8747df353178f.jpg

So what says the forum? Keep it simple or mix it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mix it up. Love the look when the two are combined.

As a fellow wood worker I vote for the middle one.

Love the one where they are mixed, but I'd go one step further ... take the very top piece (like in the last picture) and swap them so you have "light/dark/light/dark" and "dark/light/dark/light" (sorta of like the top picture I quoted).

Alright forum, a friend of mine is doing a fundraiser for a local facility that hosts Wounded Warriors and asked me to put together a small project he could use for raffle or silent auction.

I elected to put together a couple jewelry/keepsake boxes, one in maple, one in walnut. Personally I am a fan of contrasting woods in projects and these are two of my favorites to use together. But I know not everyone likes that look, so I'm leaving it up to you the forum to decide. Here are a few pics of the items in question, one of each in single species, and a couple different contrasting looks:

04ff089ecf71fbf684a56380e4adc994.jpg

98a8e62a2e7a2b1f8fe8747df353178f.jpg

So what says the forum? Keep it simple or mix it up?

Love the one where they are mixed, but I'd go one step further ... take the very top piece (like in the last picture) and swap them so you have "light/dark/light/dark" and "dark/light/dark/light" (sorta of like the top picture I quoted).

Like so?

927112933c4bf7f8343a7c55a65437c0.jpg

The maple is figured also, if that changes any minds:

8bfadb7c5dd230c380ad14441bbc47fc.jpg

Not gonna lie....those would make some pretty sweet desk top cigar boxes

I like solid, one color stuff. But I am not your market.

I like solid, one color stuff. But I am not your market.

Your vote weighs equally. I doubt anyone else who voted is in the market either :D

I do have a chunk of Spanish cedar floating around somewhere...

My favorites in order our upper right, middle right, lower left.

I was about to say use figure maple on the top but as you said that the maple is figured then definitely go with bottom - I love the contrast.

Of course I'm a sucker for walnut and maple mixed. Here is a segmented pen I did out of maple and walnut scraps
0b3e0318.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mix it up, and nice work.

Love the mixed up look. Nice Birdseye maple too and great job!

JM

I like the contrast. Mix it up!

Mix it up, love the walnut sided one with the maple top! Great work!

Big fan of the 3rd option with the different color top section.

My thoughts exactly. I like the one with maple on top.

I pretty boring and conventional. I like the top row left.

Like so?

927112933c4bf7f8343a7c55a65437c0.jpg

I like this one. I think the dark wood would look good with something reddish for the next project. (I know nothing about woodworking, but my mom's husband is great with it too.)

The final one with the alternating woods is my favorite. Very well done, I wish I had a shop and some skill to do something like that.

I like the middle one best. Looks good, man!

Back