Hobbies before or with golf

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I have lived an interesting life. I never had kids, so I basically got to do what I wanted, and I've done a lot. As my second wife said "your hobby is hobbies"

Among other things, I used to race motorcycles.
DOC023-001-001.jpg

I've also done "Iron Butt" compettions on my motorcycle. Think of it as a 24 hour, 1,000 mile scavenger hunt.
2013-05-27 17.12.17.jpg

What did (or do you still do) you do for fun before golf?

Endurance athlete. Ironman (6x), marathon (25+), bike racing (road, mountain, and cyclocross), 24-hour adventure races, XC ski racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to play hockey and rock climb. Bailed on both due to the time required to be halfway decent at either of them.

Now, outside of some video gaming, I'm pretty golfy.

I used to fight full contact karate....before it was called MMA.
Still drumming after all these years.
Love to fish, but if the weather is nice enough to fish, it's nice enough to golf.
Basketball and modified fast pitch softball were 2 passions that I had to give up due to several knee surgeries.

Now? Golf, golf and more golf. Oh and then there's golf with the wifey.

i was into tennis in high school. didn't play tournaments or anything, but played many times a week for hours on end.

then got into guitar. had several guitars, a couple dozen pedals, amps, all that. but i was never really good, even though i played a lot.

golf found me in college, and now she has my balls in a jar. she abuses me and makes me feel really bad about myself, but i deserve it. i'll never leave her.

I raced dirt bikes as a teen and used to ride them a lot before the kids. Played soccer and boxed as well.

Now i just coach soccer and play golf.

I'm generally pretty active (probably what keeps me feeling younger at my age, lol). I still play basketball a couple of times a week, bowl once a week, and golf as often as I can (never enough). I was deeply into photography and used to travel just for certain opportunities to photograph certain subjects. I lost a little drive for that the last couple of years but I'm hoping to rekindle that passion. Here are a couple of samples.

First, on a cruise through the inside passage we hired a guide at one stop to take us around looking for bears. This young grizzly had just come out of hibernation:
hoonah_6561_redone.jpg

This next shot is of a "moon bow" in Yosemite. This picture was taken at night when the conditions were just right to produce a rainbow due to the moon light.
moonbow_corrected_4948.jpg

I used to fight full contact karate....before it was called MMA.
Still drumming after all these years.
Love to fish, but if the weather is nice enough to fish, it's nice enough to golf.
Basketball and modified fast pitch softball were 2 passions that I had to give up due to several knee surgeries.

Now? Golf, golf and more golf. Oh and then there's golf with the wifey.

+1
c.png

I use to Bass fish 3 days a week in the fully rigged Bass Boat I once had

aluminumbassboat_lg_1__52228.1469113752.1280.1280.jpg

I used to box competitively and run marathons in my 20's. My knees are no longer viable to do either so now I stick with darts, guitar playing/collecting, and very occassionally snowboarding.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About the only other hobby I've had is woodworking. And annoying my wife.

4 wheelers growing up
football in HS (MCL issues stopped that)
growing up in FL we used to fish a ton and still have 2 setups ready at all times.

Most of the things I've done over the years have been music-centric. I've just always been a musician. Been working mostly as a professional bass player since 1982.
Not really sure I'd call it a hobby ... it's more of a passion, and I actually get paid for it (sometimes very well).

PJS RED 2014 (3).JPG
PJS RED 2014.JPG
PJS RED 2014 (4).JPG
PJS RED 2014 (2).JPG

Most of the things I've done over the years have been music-centric. I've just always been a musician. Been working mostly as a professional bass player since 1982.
Not really sure I'd call it a hobby ... it's more of a passion, and I actually get paid for it (sometimes very well).

That is so awesome. I WISH I had musical ability. I mean I do sing, just very poorly, but I never let that stop me.

Netting my brother's fish.
ec7c843240788d75f33e5a182dbdd52d.jpg
6f601403840148e758d482a9cfd6c1a6.jpg
e1032d8b164bed1dd9725fe132a8491b.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is so awesome. I WISH I had musical ability. I mean I do sing, just very poorly, but I never let that stop me.

Funny, because I was looking at your leaning into the turn photo and thinking, "Man, how cool is that!"
I ride a Goldwing. I don't lean like that. :laughing:

I was a gymnast when I was a kid and fairly successful I guess you could say considering I was a national champion at one point

Played football (soccer to you heathens) for a few years until a fractured cheekbone put paid to that

Badminton and my motorbike were the 2 main things until I slipped a disc and had to give both of them up

So now it is just golf that takes up my time

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I have always had motorcycles since i was 16 love riding. Now a days i cycle a a lot for fitness. I just like being outside.

Snowmobiling, ATVing,motocross, hunting, fishing, guns and cross-country skiing.

I played Rugby for about 7 years until the injuries got the better of me. I hike and was an endurance athlete (biking & running). It is harder to do that stuff in the late 40’s but I have toned down the intensity of those things and I can still do it.

I played baseball and softball quite a bit, also did a lot of fishing and camping. Still do some fishing but when i take my fishing trips now i make sure i can golf as well.

I played Basketball and Baseball. Chose baseball as I wasn't really tall enough for basketball. Was invited to an area tryout with the Colorado Rockies as a Junior in High School so that was cool. Kentucky State Allstar my Junior & Senior seasons. Wanted to play D1 College Baseball so that's what I chose to do. A week before my first practice, I tore up my ankle playing basketball (I know stupid, but I was 18) and that was all she wrote. Had an opportunity to go small college after that but decided not to. Continued in School and was asked by a friend to go play 9 holes of Golf in between classes and the rest is History.

Now Golf and helping coach my kids is what I love!!!

Last edited:
Played hockey to a decent level but basically parents ran out of money.
Played semi-pro paintball for a little while but never truly enjoyed it.
Did some entry level autocross stuff but got out before I went broke.

Now golf is the only hobby I invest any time or money into, and I'm happy.

Played hockey to a decent level but basically parents ran out of money.
Played semi-pro paintball for a little while but never truly enjoyed it.
Did some entry level autocross stuff but got out before I went broke.

Now golf is the only hobby I invest any time or money into, and I'm happy.

Me too. I actually owned a couple fields and played NPPL and PSP. Hung out with the Dynasty guys a bunch as well. One time, I beat Ollie and Ryan in a 2 on 1. I refused to play against them after that, it was my crowning moment.

Darts (duh), but I hardly play anymore. I love bowling and fishing. Camping too. Home brewing, but its been a few years since I've done any of that. I really need to get back into it.

Back