Anyone have any experience with Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli HI #5

odshot68

Reaction score
Handicap
Plus
Im considering this but looking for any feedback on this exact club. Thanks!

I hit the 3 iron version of this club. Feel was pretty good. But I ultimately liked the Srixon U65 and U85 more. Felt easier to hit in my opinion, both off the ground and off a tee. I was pretty surprised, because I went into it fully expecting to like the Mizuno better. Only thing I liked better about the Mizuno was the look. Much sleeker. But performance wise, I liked the Srixon options better across the board.

I have the 3i-6i in the fli-hi, to go with 7-PW regular mmc. What kind of feedback are you looking for exactly? They’re good irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it balloon? Launch angle. Too spiny. Lose playability due to thick sole?

All things that vary person to person and fit to fit. Honestly no hard and fast answer that can be given there.

Kinda hard to make a 5i balloon. It launches and spins like a 5 iron. I think shaft, ball, and your personal swing will have a lot to do with all that. I hit it low and play a lz 6.0 in it. I don’t notice any problem with the wider sole.

You should go to a local fitter and hit a few shots with it to see if you like it. Then you can try out some different shafts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your resident Mizuno staffer here: I play the Fli his in 4-6. They don’t balloon on me. If anything I lack some spin with the 4 and 5. Generally I like to see the spin in the 4000s for a 4 iron and 5000s for a 5 iron. I see mid 4000s with the 5 iron. Could be the shafts I have in them though. Turf wise I have no problems. I’m pretty shallow swing wise with all my clubs and usually hit a sling draw. Ball is going to have an effect on the spin too. Ballooning is going to be caused by a shaft that is ill fit for you. Go to a fitter and get properly fitted for the correct shaft. Mizuno has the shaft optimizer which will give the best suggestions based on your swing which are cross referenced with the EI profiles of each shaft. Here’s my shaft suggestions for my swing. You’d be surprised how many people are not playing the shafts properly suited to their swing.
4e2c8d664bd59fa483acb736b2f16569.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Gilbert. I’ve using mp 18 sc fitted with c taper 115x. I have my 5 iron bent strong and don’t get the launch angle and carry I’m looking for. I have a big gap to my mp18 mic fli hi #4.

The fli his do as marketed. They go high. I’ve never been able to look at a tree while holding a 4 iron and think “yeah I can go over that”

The fli his do as marketed. They go high. I’ve never been able to look at a tree while holding a 4 iron and think “yeah I can go over that”

I'm close to ordering one..:)

Is there a playability guarantee? If so I’m going to try and change out the sc to the fli hi. The head looks brand new still.

Is there a playability guarantee? If so I’m going to try and change out the sc to the fli hi. The head looks brand new still.

That is a phenomenal question, I’m not sure

Gilbert, why can’t you order the Fli Hi with a graphite hybrid shaft and shim it down. You really need one. I would love this in a 18 degree model for those windy days or at least send me the parts and let my local club guy do this. When I called Mizuno they told me they can only ship a built club.

Likely has to do with warranty. They can’t guarantee anything if the local club builder does the work. I agree with you

Back