Maltby Moment XI Tour Putter

Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
I played in an event two weeks ago and right off the bat I struggled with alignment. Not unusual for me at the beginning of the season but it was bad. One of my worst rounds ever.

So I figured I would embrace the alignment aid available with a ball in motion putter. Maltby has a new model and I loved the color, weight and size of the head. The kit is $99.00 and includes everything. Super stroke grip isnt my first choice but I'll give it a run.

The putter is very easy to line up and sits nicely behind the ball. I usually play a blade style putter so this is a new route for me. The weight of the head is 375 grams and has a solid feel to it. Milled aluminum body and face with some stainless weighting. I built it to 35". With the blade length being 4.25" it's fairly compact for its build style.

I spent some time on the indoor green and felt comfortable immediately. My big struggle seemed to be with 4' putts and was sinking them with ease. I have another match Monday so I look forward to some redemption.
56b055462cc2039367ae50c5eb0ffa1f.jpg
c3bf84bcf53396946e32813605b0d915.jpg
cf36f1892affa7e93f5087bf280eb85a.jpg
4d1fc7281bff350c0a538d36effbd7ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Maltby has to be the most underrated, unknown, low-cost, high-quality company there is. They have some good stuff. Is that enough adjectives?

I think you got them all in there. Its shocking in this day and age of runaway OEM costs that more people have not discovered them. They have been around for a very long time and their gear is cutting edge at times.
Maltby has to be the most underrated, unknown, low-cost, high-quality company there is. They have some good stuff. Is that enough adjectives?

Looks very close to the new tm spiders,I hope it helps your putting woes,I went to the new Cleveland soft Huntington 11 center shaft because I never tried a center shaft and it's been nice in those 4 footers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

How's the sound?

Also make sure you keep us updated on how the finish holds up. Is it painted or anodized aluminum?

The sound was a muted click,, not tinny. I was rolling new TP5xs and Crome Softs. Sound was minimal.

The orange finish is anodized. I would assume it should hold up decently.
How's the sound?

Also make sure you keep us updated on how the finish holds up. Is it painted or anodized aluminum?

I will take a #7
Add a 2 ball, but subtract 3/4 of one ball.
Add the wings from TaylorMade
Paint it Orange
Add the HB Collection milling pattern

Im not knocking it, but it looks like an orgy of ideas from each of the mainstream OEMs and put into a putter.

Reactions: KEV
I was rolling a brand new Taylor Made Spider X and I found the Maltby a little easier to line up for some reason. The X seemed a bit more solid. The X seemed really narrow by comparison and to my eye,, too long front to back. Aesthetically I like the Maltby better and is $249 cheaper. Picture below is the X for reference.
Looks very close to the new tm spiders,I hope it helps your putting woes,I went to the new Cleveland soft Huntington 11 center shaft because I never tried a center shaft and it's been nice in those 4 footers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
a389d267cc69363ca5a10643ca7e1a3e.jpg
8e8d7a0257e550f16797cdcafde71de7.jpg

Maltby had been building these high MOI putters for quite a while and got away from them. Now that they are back in vogue they updated all of their old designs.
I will take a #7
Add a 2 ball, but subtract 3/4 of one ball.
Add the wings from TaylorMade
Paint it Orange
Add the HB Collection milling pattern

Im not knocking it, but it looks like an orgy of ideas from each of the mainstream OEMs and put into a putter.

Maltby had been building these high MOI putters for quite a while and got away from them. Now that they are back in vogue they updated all of their old designs.

I’m not disputing he had high MOi putters, just that this one is a mashup of other things.

Finally had the chance to roll this putter on an actual green.
I found the ball. ERC Soft,,, off the face to have a softer type of feel. The type of feel where the ball seems to stay on the face a bit through contact. Sound is muted in a very good way.
Early season I putt looking at the hole. To me it makes sense as in many other sports you look at the target through the throw of shot. For me, looking at the hole gives me precise distance control and allows me to follow through to the hole. So back to the putter. When doing this at times you dont find the middle of the face of the putter. This being a high MOI putter though I could feel if I mishit the ball, yet I was hardly penal,, with the ball barely sent offline.
I found distance control to be instinctual as well, virtually no learning curve. This putter has a solid place in the bag.

Well... I played Pinehurst #4 today in a practice round and I couldnt be more impressed with this putter. The greens are impossibly fast yet I was able to judge my speed perfectly all day. Plus my nemesis being a 4-5 foot putt was a non issue as I sank every one. Even dropped a few bombs.

Tournament starts tomorrow and worrys about putting will not be an issue. Now if I can just make better contact thru the bag I'll be all set.

First day of the tourney and the putter was stellar. Made a huge amount of putts from all over the place. With the lightning fast greens of #6 Pinehurst I had zero fear of not making a putt. Speed control and holding the line was so easy for me. And as many putts as I made I lipped out of 3 others. I know I'm a Maltby Homer but for the second round of the year I'm putting at a level that unheard of for me.

I didn't have much luck with any of the Moment line of putters on my last Golfworks visit, but I was rolling their Pure-track mallet very well. I didn't really need another putter, but I was definitely tempted with the $85 price tag. In the end I didn't buy it, but I may end up getting one on my next visit.

I didn't have much luck with any of the Moment line of putters on my last Golfworks visit, but I was rolling their Pure-track mallet very well. I didn't really need another putter, but I was definitely tempted with the $85 price tag. In the end I didn't buy it, but I may end up getting one on my next visit.
Face balanced with a great feel, for me it easily beat out the Pure Trac blade. But mid season I do very well with that putter. What is really unusual is how well I took to this putter immediately, not to mention it's some of the hardest greens I have ever played.

How is the feel on contact? I prefer a super solid head with a soft face like my TM daddy long legs.

How is the feel on contact? I prefer a super solid head with a soft face like my TM daddy long legs.
It's a solid feel. I know some aluminum heads can have a tinny sort of feel but this is solid. Plus you can really feel where the ball comes off the face. I do a decent amount of looking at the hole in early season putting and the feedback from contact is excellent. The head has some heft to it so I believe that's where most of the feel comes from.

The first time out on course was at Pinehurst which is a torture test for putting. I dont think I could have putted better all week. I made a whole bunch of pressure putts where distance control was critical. Plus I cant say enough about the ball and a half alignment aid. The confidence that I'm aimed right is huge.

Face balanced with a great feel, for me it easily beat out the Pure Trac blade.

Did it win out on feel or just making more putts? I've had my eye on the blade.

Did it win out on feel or just making more putts? I've had my eye on the blade.
I have the Pure-Trak blade and that thing is as close to a classic type of Scotty Cameron as you could get and it's made from a fancy forged metal. So feel wise it's about as good as it gets. The Moment IX has a softer feel and maybe more feedback.
For me even if the IX felt like jellow on a stick I wouldnt care as I am sinking a lot more putts.

Face balanced with a great feel, for me it easily beat out the Pure Trac blade. But mid season I do very well with that putter. What is really unusual is how well I took to this putter immediately, not to mention it's some of the hardest greens I have ever played.

Popeye,

Do you still have the Moment putter in the bag or did you switch to something different? The putter has me intrigued.

Dave

Popeye,

Do you still have the Moment putter in the bag or did you switch to something different? The putter has me intrigued.

Dave
This putter has found a home right in my bag. I had my best ever putting season last year with this.
I have always stayed away from a putter with sight aids, playing the blade style. This still has a smaller profile than most of the alignment aid putters. So it was a happy medium for me. It feels great while it didnt take very long to be comfortable with.
Plus the paint job still looks like new. Not a single scuff on it.

This putter has found a home right in my bag. I had my best ever putting season last year with this.
I have always stayed away from a putter with sight aids, playing the blade style. This still has a smaller profile than most of the alignment aid putters. So it was a happy medium for me. It feels great while it didnt take very long to be comfortable with.
Plus the paint job still looks like new. Not a single scuff on it.

Did you ever try the other Moment Tour putters? The XII is out for me as tiered white look just behind the head doesn't look good to my eye. I'd either go for the X Tour or XI Tour if I bought one. The orange one has several more reviews, the only red review comments about finish damage.

Dave

Did you ever try the other Moment Tour putters? The XII is out for me as tiered white look just behind the head doesn't look good to my eye. I'd either go for the X Tour or XI Tour if I bought one. The orange one has several more reviews, the only red review comments about finish damage.

Dave
I built a red one for a customer and they have really enjoyed it. If I remember correctly the red looks a bit bigger than the orange and has a higher MOI. From what I have seen with the orange the only way to scuff the paint off is to either drop in in the parking lot or maybe play from sand. The red uses the same process so I'm not sure what that guy experienced.
I did roll that red one for a few days before I gave it to the customer. It's why I built the orange one .

Although I am not in the market for a putter, I find it interesting that I was looking at Maltby putters last night in the Golfworks catalog. I bet Maltby is good stuff and the prices are about what golf items should cost. Most of the golf stuff out there is simply over inflated big time.

Although I am not in the market for a putter, I find it interesting that I was looking at Maltby putters last night in the Golfworks catalog. I bet Maltby is good stuff and the prices are about what golf items should cost. Most of the golf stuff out there is simply over inflated big time.
Maltby gear is built in the same factories that build the OEM heads. The cost to produce them are not magically more expensive for the OEM sets. Same type of materials, same type of tooling. You are paying for the marketing and the Pro contracts. I test the Maltby gear against the OEMs all the time. The only thing you gain with an OEM is a lighter wallet.

Back