Will moving from a Ping SFT driver to non SFT improve distance?

Rmerikle

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently hit a older Ping Sft and recently hit the max. Really liked it but was having difficulty hitting it because I think I am use to the sft weight. I would really like to improve my drive distance this season. If I use a non sft club should I expect longer distance. I am thinking if I work on it I could tweak my swing to hit a non SFT but I only want to go down this path if it will be worth it. Currently hitting just over 200 yards on average.

The short answer is that no one can make any guarantees. The only way to know is to try it out yourself. You can gain distance by improving quality of contact, optimizing launch/spin, and faster head/ball speed (a few other way more technical things play into it too). But if you aren't improving on those 3 main things, it's hard to see any improvement.

Tyler is correct. There’s no way to say that by moving to the other head distance will increase for you. Too many swing specific things to take into account.

If you are going to get a new driver I would not limit yourself to just changing heads from the same brand you hit now, I would try everything out there. Chances are there is something that will help you gain either more distance or more consistancy and possibly a little of both. Of course there are things that will work worse for you as well which is why trying a bunch of stuff is important.

I’m assuming it will not help. But no way to say for sure. The only reason I lean towards no is this. The weights internally in the SFT help you square up the club face. Without those weights your tendency will be to leave the face open which will add loft and spin. If you have any sort of higher speed this will be a bad thing. If you don’t have a ton of speed and notice your ball falling out of the sky with your current driver it might be a good thing. Different people have different swings. Best way to find out is to demo and see for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back