Cfrick13

Reaction score
Handicap
I had been fitted for a new driver shaft last year, but didn't get it cut down at all. I am 5'7 to 5'8 any pros and cons about it?

Con: In theory, you will be shorter distance wise.

Pro & counter point: A shorter shaft may help you hit the center of the face more, giving you more consistently long distance.

Note: Swing weight will change (decrease) when you cut down the shaft, if all else is equal. How much you cut down will determine if you will notice it in the swing.

I got a new shaft for Christmas for my Coba F7. I have never been fitted for a driver or a shaft yet. But I went with what I have read and seen on youtube and thought I would give it a try. I got the shaft 3/4 shorter and have found my drives have become more straight and I am getting more distance then before. I did end up buying the heavier Cobra F7 weights and have found it helped me gain a few more yards than weights that came with the driver.

I had been fitted for a new driver shaft last year, but didn't get it cut down at all. I am 5'7 to 5'8 any pros and cons about it?

If the fitting was thorough and they didn't change playing length, I would just run with it.

A lot of variables in play with driver shaft length though, for many shorter means more accurate, while longer means...well...longer. But, the amount of which each change is going to depend very much on the swing.

I'm 6'3 and play 44.75 not for accuracy, but because I've found it more consistent for me as far as face impact. Lots of things to think about here.

I'm 5'9 and just had mine cut from 45.5 to 44.5.

Confidence at address is big. I also grip down a touch so I'm probably really playing it at like 43.5/44 by gripping down.

I hit 4 long drives last round. I don't really care about the distance loss, if any. Finding the center is going to promote a longer shot for me.

Plus I'm playing the correct tees for me. So driver length isn't really an issue. I'm not playing 430-450 yard Par 4s. Usually just 1 or 2 400+ yards hole a round.

I'm 6' 1" and have played all of my clubs 1" over standard for many years.
In my opinion, it's all about feel and what you are comfortable with.
Heck, about 15 years ago, I was swinging a driver with a 50" shaft and absolutely loved it.
Now of course that length of shaft is illegal, so ….

like previously mentioned in theory, longer shaft will give your more distance...

But I've found playing my driver at 44 1/4 inch gives me a longer AVERAGE drive cuz I control it better and I consistently hit the center much more often. And realistically with todays "standard" 45.5 driver my longest drives are only 8-10 yards longer compared to cutting down over an inch.

For example at my fitting a month ago my longest drive with at 45.5 shaft was 328 and average was 289
with the 44 1/4 driver furthest was 322 and average was 295 (and much more accurate)

like previously mentioned in theory, longer shaft will give your more distance...

But I've found playing my driver at 44 1/4 inch gives me a longer AVERAGE drive cuz I control it better and I consistently hit the center much more often. And realistically with todays "standard" 45.5 driver my longest drives are only 8-10 yards longer compared to cutting down over an inch.

For example at my fitting a month ago my longest drive with at 45.5 shaft was 328 and average was 289
with the 44 1/4 driver furthest was 322 and average was 295 (and much more accurate)

Yes mainly what I was looking for was a little more consistency on the accuracy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 5’7” and play mine at 44.75”. I personally feel comfortable at this length. Playing drivers at anything over 45 doesn’t allow me swing comfortably. I tend to lose my spine angle and miss constantly to the right. It just come down to feel and what makes you comfortable. Try choking down to start and asked how that feels.

I'd always been 5' 9" but I'm probably closer to 5' 8" now due to compressed disks. Wish I were kidding.

In just the past season, I very comfortably played 3 driver shafts with assembled lengths from 44.25" to 45.5".

Incidentally, I started at 45.5" in a low launching Matrix Black Tie 6M3. I only went to 44.25" because I was hoping for a higher flight when I came across a great deal on a, albeit shorter, Fujikura Pro. Actually received a 5-10 yard bump due to a better launch and flight.

Then I went back up in length to 45.25" and received more distance due to launch and a higher ballflight (Aldila Tour Blue ATX). Accuracy was similar with all three shafts.

I also picked up a Ping G400 Max with 45.5" Aldila Tour Green ATX. So basically, anything within that range is fine for me.

Strangely enough though, I'm not nearly so versatile as to length with other clubs in my bag. As in, not at all really.

I struggled with center face strikes with standard length drivers. I have a fair amount of swing speed, but didn't always hit the center of the face. A 44" driver helped me achieve that. You will definitely have to increase your head weight in order to maintain swing weight. Do some research and chop it, and pick up some lead tape, or if there is a competent fitter near by, utilize them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Some 5'3" LPGA players are out there swinging 46" drivers because they know a longer shaft does produce longer distance drives.
There is no doubt that a longer shaft absolutely 100% can produce a longer drive than a shorter shaft length driver.
That said, you (or any player) might find that you are able to strike a 43.5" or 44" driver consistently better (combined accuracy and distance) than you do a longer shafted driver. The only way to know for sure is to try a variety of different shaft length drivers.

Some 5'3" LPGA players are out there swinging 46" drivers because they know a longer shaft does produce longer distance drives.
There is no doubt that a longer shaft absolutely 100% can produce a longer drive than a shorter shaft length driver.
That said, you (or any player) might find that you are able to strike a 43.5" or 44" driver consistently better (combined accuracy and distance) than you do a longer shafted driver. The only way to know for sure is to try a variety of different shaft length drivers.

Agree 100%..thank you for the advice!

I'm 5'8" and until last year I used a 45.5 driver and had terrible accuracy which ultimately translated into loss of distance for me as well. Last year I bought my Fusion driver which already came with a 44.5 shaft. Immediately I noticed a tremendous increase in accuracy as well as distance and am now finding on average 12/14 FW's

I'm 5'8" and until last year I used a 45.5 driver and had terrible accuracy which ultimately translated into loss of distance for me as well. Last year I bought my Fusion driver which already came with a 44.5 shaft. Immediately I noticed a tremendous increase in accuracy as well as distance and am now finding on average 12/14 FW's

That’s awesome! Hopefully I will be able to say the same!

Any taller guys use a 46" shaft? I had a lesson last week and my pro said that he would like to see me in a longer shaft. I was always under the impression that shorter shaft = more accuracy and less distance. Could a longer shaft help taller guys with accuracy and distance?

Back