Marketing for TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood

I mean the marketing works, but give me an M2 3w and 5w to hit against my SLDR and let's see what distance an average golfer really gains. not a robot hitting perfect swings at TOUR speed every time

I'm betting your numbers improve against SLDR. Just a hunch.

I know where Josh Kinchen stands on this.....Twitter fun.

I'd love to see the numbers of the M2 compared to the AB. Even if it is robot generated.

Agree completely.
My question is about the fairway woods in the middle. Now before I go on, I should state that almost all companies post that the comparisons are against a club that is a few years back. Usually its based on 3 years or so which fits here.

But my thought is for TaylorMade, instead of just saying its "13 yards longer", they are saying its 13 yards longer than their biggest selling FW wood ever.
They are also telling me its only 3 yards longer than Stage 2, according to their own marketing.

FWIW, I think 3 yards is good too.

Its like the MiB flashy thing, the Stage 2 neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever happened....

Minor details, the big letters are what matter. Hahaha

I hate distance claims....as they NEVER seem to transpire to what I see on course. Give me easier to hit, better turf interaction, forgiveness, etc - all better than 13 yards.

Agreed.. I would like "Goes Straight Every Time" . If the 13 yards are there I would take them. As long as its not 13 yards into the woods.

The M2 line seems to be reviewing quite well.
I may give them a look.

Distance claims are risky but they draw the public in so I guess it's a smart move by all manufacturers to make these type claims. If it gets people to try your product I guess it's worth it!

haha I would hope so, but by how much? considering my best 5w shot saturday hit it about 215 (was literally right next to the 200 yard to center marker... and hit about 10-15 yards past to the back of the green.

Distance claims are risky but they draw the public in so I guess it's a smart move by all manufacturers to make these type claims. If it gets people to try your product I guess it's worth it!

Ehh, I don't think they are risky at all. It's that blanket statement that no one seems to care about once they are in a jacked up sim at golf galaxy hitting the longest 3 woods of their life.

It's an easy way to hook interest, and I get that. It just annoys me.

As long as that fine print's there, I've got no issues. Sure, some might be misled, but that information is there if you need it. That's advertising and marketing.

Ehh, I don't think they are risky at all. It's that blanket statement that no one seems to care about once they are in a jacked up sim at golf galaxy hitting the longest 3 woods of their life.

I understand but even if you fall for their marketing or an inaccurate launch monitor when you get to the course your accustomed to playing it will be obvious that there really wasn't any improvement. I think that could effect future sales.

I love marketing and PR hype.TM has some clear messaging with the entire M2 line, and it starts with distance. I would guess this will resonate with a lot of golfers. Most people I have played with worry more about how far they hit the ball than where they hit the ball. Power on fellow golfers, power on! If people get excited and buy new gear, awesome.

I understand but even if you fall for their marketing or an inaccurate launch monitor when you get to the course your accustomed to playing it will be obvious that there really wasn't any improvement. I think that could effect future sales.

You must have missed the original RBZ launch then. 17 yards of not likely'ier.

I don't generally follow this type of stuff because i never see the distance gains personally. The only issue i have is when you go back a couple releases to say 'it's X further' but you've made improvements between that and the new release. If it's only 3 yards further than Stage 2 so be it, but it seems a tad disingenuous. I'm sure the GBB is probably at least 50 yards further than my old Warbird.

I think it's funny that they use tour club head speeds for testing when guys on tour don't purchase clubs. They should provide data like callaway did with the White paper recently about driver distance to boost the sales of their clubs using normal "average joe" golfers. I care about what those guys are getting using this club, not what a robot that swings the same each time at speeds higher than me.

I get you, it annoys me, too. Distance claims are risky, but only for the consumer. I think the majority of golfers out there do ZERO research into clubs, shafts, fittings... things that can actually help get them gains they are looking for. Instead, they get lazy and buy into what a commercial is telling them and they run out and drop the cash... but wait a minute!! Now they're out on the course finding the center of the club head 1/2 times out of 100 and they aren't seeing the distance gains they were promised... why? Because they fail to realize the difference between them and a robot swinging at 110 mph smashing the center of the face each time so that TM can claim the most gains possible. I know all the companies do it, and now they have to if it works for TM, but I have to think... over time, people will realize they are wasting their money chasing dreams and will abandon ship. The marketing force is strong, I will admit I am interested in the M1/M2 drivers, but I do not trust anything TM says anymore and I think they are kind of goofy. I find that no matter how interested I am in what they are pushing, I just can not pull the trigger on what they are selling.

I really wish I grabbed an RBZ to compare for my 100mph SS while I was using the LM.

Pretty forward marketing and it really invites criticism.

It's nice to see them put some marketing behind it and it's one of the FWs that I am considering. I get distance sells and many consumers will jump on that and miss the disclaimer. Hopefully the consumer sees enough of a jump in performance from a previous model that it helps sales for TMAG.

I had the RBZ 2 fairway and it was easy to hit and long. This marketing sounds like I need to hit the M2!

I like that they are marketing it, but nothing exciting to see here in my opinion. It doesn't make me want to run out and try one thats for sure.

I like that they are marketing it, but nothing exciting to see here in my opinion. It doesn't make me want to run out and try one thats for sure.

Agreed.

They are trying again, so it seems. As much as I love Callaway, a strong TM makes everyone else better...so there's that.

Distance claims by club manufacturers are the least appealing marketing to me.

you know what's funny? When I was at the SLDR s launch, they threw out there that the SLDR s fairways were longer than RBZ. I don't recall that one ever making it to the front line of marketing though. Wonder if I still have that on video.

I'm glad to see them takes steps in the right direction, but this doesn't speak to me at all.

After gaming the the M1 driver for a while and loving it I am seriously considering either an M1 or M2 fairway. What I really want to see more than distance is accuracy, consistency and forgiveness. Right now on a tight fairway I wouldn't hesitate to pull driver over my 3W. I'm looking to dial the distance back by going with a shorter heavier shaft and going with the HL.

The M1 driver isn't longer than my SLDR was, but it was better in about every other way. Sell me on the same thing with the fairway.

Minor details, the big letters are what matter. Hahaha

I hate distance claims....as they NEVER seem to transpire to what I see on course. Give me easier to hit, better turf interaction, forgiveness, etc - all better than 13 yards.

Keep talking like that and people will think you are me........

The distance gains have to be true.

Back