Leftyuk

Reaction score
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Handicap
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47156632

Big story in UK at the moment, pushing Brexit , Donald and ISIS off the front page, and rightly so.

Everyone remembers with gratitude. Recently, some people have been very anti Bomber Command, talking about Dresden and criticising what they did. My uncle was a navigator in Wellington bombers. Before the war , he was bright young engineer, ready for university. After the war, he was a bus conductor. He never recovered and avoided any form of responsibility.

Thank you for your service , Mi Amigo.

Let we forget

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47156632

Big story in UK at the moment, pushing Brexit , Donald and ISIS off the front page, and rightly so.

Everyone remembers with gratitude. Recently, some people have been very anti Bomber Command, talking about Dresden and criticising what they did.

Recently? Churchill refused to mention them after the war when he was dishing out his thanks. It took over 50 years for them to get any kind of memorial. They finally got one just before I left the UK. Considering the sacrifice they made (the chances of coming back from each raid where less than 50%) it’s shameful it took so long for them to be honored. Bomber Command and Alan Turing. That war ain’t getting won without those two and yet both were treated awfully.
Saw that story on Facebook this morning when I work up. Very heartwarming.

You might want to change the title of the thread, it’s lest we forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two uncles flew B17's out of England during WWII. They both said they never thought they would make it back after each flight. I don't recall the number of their flights but both were shot down and were saved by the Resistance and made their way back to England and resumed their bombing missions. The planes were really designed to make only one mission as they were striped down so they could make it to their destination fully loaded.
Uncle Stan said at times there were so many holes in the wings from flack he didn't even know how it stayed in the air.
Truly brave men that flew these planes, knowing that they may not make it back.

Back